1lb difference on scale from yesterday to today, is that possible?

Options
I have a digital bathroom scale, it’s pretty accurate because when I got it a couple of weeks ago, I weighed myself on my old (non-digital) scale then on the new digital scale & it was the same weight. I went to the DR this week & when I weighed, it also showed the same as my digital had shown too. My question is this, is it possible to lose 1lb in one day? I weighed myself yesterday morning, my normal weigh in day, & then I weighed myself this morning & I had lost 1lb from yesterday. All factors are the same, same time of day, early morning, & wearing the same thing, nothing🙈. Is this normal? Also, what’s funny is, last night I went out to eat & although I tried to choose “healthy”, I did eat a bigger meal than normal & I know I went over my calories but yet, I lost a pound?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate a couple of pounds from day to day, but the amount of fat your can lose in a week is no more than 1% of your bodyweight or so, so I would not refer to as "lost" or "gained" weight.
  • GeauxL
    GeauxL Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    “Tip: stop weighing so much.”
    I only weigh once a week, the only reason I weighed 2 days in a row is because I was just curious to see what a night of eating out, eating over my calories, would do.
  • tobs223
    tobs223 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Never underestimate water weight. It's important to consider that a single millilitre of water has a mass of 1 gram. Therefore drinking a standard 500 ml (~18 oz) bottle of water (or similar beverage) will increase your total mass by around 500 grams (about 1.1 pounds). Similarly, your total mass may read a few pounds less than you would expect if you drink less water one day compared to another. Drinking alcohol will also cause this 'problem', as it significantly increases water loss from urination.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    b16epu4eqkr4.png

Weight fluctuates on a daily basis for various reasons. I ate about 2500 calories yesterday and yep lost a lb overnight.
  • competeagain
    competeagain Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself before bed and after eating a lot of ice cream: 197
    I woke up this morning. 194
    I took an Adam Sandler type pee: 193
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    It's called water retention. There are about 1000 things can cause your body to lose or retain water. Everything from how much salt you ate the day before to stress. It's perfectly normal.

Weight loss isn't linear, you need to track long term (a few months) to see your average progress.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    A one pound difference is easily possible, and completely normal.

Good read here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    One pound is amateur :lol: Wait until you have a nice big high-sodium meal and see 5 pounds.

Nothing like a 1-2 combo of craving salt while begining your T.O.M. Now there's an easy 5lb overnight gain!

Add a nice case of DOMS or a sunburn and you'll see something really impressive!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    One pound is amateur :lol: Wait until you have a nice big high-sodium meal and see 5 pounds.

Nothing like a 1-2 combo of craving salt while begining your T.O.M. Now there's an easy 5lb overnight gain!

thanksgiving 2 years ago...13lb swing...but damn that ham was good

I had pizza for lunch today. Tomorrow will see a guaranteed 3lb gain, but so worth it!
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    “Weight loss is not linear.”
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have had almost 2 lbs difference from day to day. Exercise, sodium, carbs, can all cause water retention. If you watch CICO, exercise, and after 1-2 MONTHS you haven't loss, then you need to look at what you're doing
    It will most likely be inaccuracy with your CICO. Also, be aware if you exercise, you may gain muscle weight, so the scale should not be you're only source of gauging progress.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor two days in a row this week. Once to be diagnosed and the second to follow up. Anyhow, on day one I weighed 148. On day two I weighed 146. I was wearing basically the same thing--same pair of shorts and a tank top. I didn't do anything different in terms of food and exercise. Who knows. This is why I only weigh myself sporadically. You can't really trust it.