Weight gain tips

Options
irock3484
irock3484 Posts: 4 Member
I’m starting a weight gain journey to put on some pounds. I’m aiming to gain 1 pound per week. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)
P.S I don’t really exercise much and I recently read something about people being skinny fat. So, I was wondering is there any exercises I could do without lifts? I would like the weight to be incorporated proportionately throughout my body and not focused in my stomach.

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to put on weight but not have any of it be fat, unfortunately that can't really be done. You can gain water weight, but outside of that there is no way to gain 1 pound a week without exercising and not have most of it be fat.

To gain weight proportionately, you will need to be doing a resistance training routine that will work all the major muscle groups.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    irock3484 wrote: »
    I’m starting a weight gain journey to put on some pounds. I’m aiming to gain 1 pound per week. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)
    P.S I don’t really exercise much and I recently read something about people being skinny fat. So, I was wondering is there any exercises I could do without lifts? I would like the weight to be incorporated proportionately throughout my body and not focused in my stomach.

Are you underweight and trying to gain for health reasons? If not, you might want to change your goal to 0.5 lbs per week so you can gauge where you're putting the weight on and put on the brakes before it goes too far.

Your body will put the weight on where you are genetically predisposed to, there's no changing that. But if you'd like to put on some muscle along with the fat, strength training is the key. Look for body weight programs or calisthenics if you don't want to use weights, though I'd encourage you to reconsider that. :drinker:
  • irock3484
    edited September 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    irock3484 wrote: »

Are you underweight and trying to gain for health reasons? If not, you might want to change your goal to 0.5 lbs per week so you can gauge where you're putting the weight on and put on the brakes before it goes too far.

Your body will put the weight on where you are genetically predisposed to, there's no changing that. But if you'd like to put on some muscle along with the fat, strength training is the key. Look for body weight programs or calisthenics if you don't want to use weights, though I'd encourage you to reconsider that. :drinker:

Yes, I’m a bit underweight. Putting on about 4-5 pounds would do me some good. A few days throughout the week, I’ll go on a jog or a walk because exercise is important for health. However, I’m not that big on exercise. My body is quite muscular despite no weight lifting.
  • irock3484
    Options
    If you're trying to put on weight but not have any of it be fat, unfortunately that can't really be done. You can gain water weight, but outside of that there is no way to gain 1 pound a week without exercising and not have most of it be fat.

To gain weight proportionately, you will need to be doing a resistance training routine that will work all the major muscle groups.

Oh, ok. I’m fairly muscular, without much exercise so I don't really mind a bit of fat. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it! :)