295g protein

I lift every other day and tend to walk on my off days

Should I cut more on my diet?

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Need more info.

But, whatever you put into MFP as your stats and weight loss rate goal will be automatically calculated as your calorie budget. If MFP is giving you 1900 Calories a day to lose the weight at your desired rate, eat that.

Don't rush weight loss, slower results are better results. Also, cutting out too many calories will cause the body to lose more than just fat, you run the very real risk of losing muscle mass and bone density.

Also, do eat back at least 1/2 your exercise calories. MFP is notorious for overestimating calories burned. If your using a Garmin or other fitness monitor, they tend to be much more accurate on calories burned so you should eat back all your exercise calories if that's the case.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    mwyen wrote: »
    A little about me

I'm 28
    6'7"
    380ish

My current daily goals are as such

1900 calories
    95g carbs
    295g protein

I lift every other day and tend to walk on my off days

Should I cut more on my diet?

It would be helpful if you told us how long you have been doing this and what your results have been so far, but based on that information, no, do not cut more from your diet.

I'm 30 years older than you, more than a foot shorter, weigh half what you do, and I would lose nearly a pound a week on 1900 calories without "intentional" exercise. I have a desk job, and frequently telecommute.

Also, if you're going to consume that much protein, you might want to get a medical checkup to make sure that your kidney and liver are in good condition to start, because if you have any undiagnosed kidney or liver problems, consuming high levels of protein can damage them further. And, sadly, some medical professionals look at an obese person and pretty much ignore any symptoms, attributing them all to obesity and neglect to order the same diagnostic tests, even simple blood tests, that they might if someone at a healthy weight presented with the same symptoms, which increases the risk of undiagnosed medical conditions.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    5sl4iluk38o1.png

If anything you need to be eating more, quite a bit more in fact... not less. You should lose weight with pretty high calories to start with as you’re lovely and tall and have a fair amount to lose to get into a healthy bmi range (not saying that’s what you should do as it depends on your goals but presumably you’re trying to lose weight by the question you’re asking). Start with the 2400 recommended - or even up it to 2600 or so- that is 2lb/week with sedentary levels. When your weight loss plateaus then readjust your calorie goal :-)

Your protein is actually prob pretty good as you’re weight lifting - if you’re basing it on 1.2gm/lb of lean body weight and you’re body fat percentage is currently ~60% then it’s spot on - it works perfectly for lean mass of 245 and hopefully will prevent you losing too much lean mass.