Measurements — Under or Over Skin Flaps?

Options
When you take body measurements (particularly waist), do you move overhanging skin out of the way or measure on top of it?

I have been measuring underneath my skin folds because that’s how I wear my pants unless I’ve got a girdle on holding things together, but then when I see a discussion of Waist to Height Ratio or something not clothing-specific, I always wonder “which” waist they mean — is the flap hanging off my ribs meant to be included in that or not?

Replies

• thaevilgenius
    thaevilgenius Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Usually(the US navy method of calculating body fat) you measure it from the belly button
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but I have skin hanging down on the sides at the level of my belly button.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I would do over -- it's adding to your girth.

People wear clothes in all sorts of ways that make the clothes not fit. Just because you put your pants under your folds doesn't mean that the folds don't ad to your measurements.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I have uterine fibroids that enlarge my abdomen to more than a 5 month pregnancy size, so don't look at things like the Waist to Height Ratio.

(I do measure my waist, but that's just to freak out at how much it blows up when I ovulate, and label it Fibroid rather than Waist.)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If measuring to buy clothes, over.

Otherwise, however you prefer.

I have a permanent floop and measure under it when taking a hip measurement to compare month to month.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    The US Navy measurement is at the belly button for men. For women, it's taken at the smallest circumference of the torso between the ribs and the pelvis. I'd measure under excess skin.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    pismodiver wrote: »
    The US Navy measurement is at the belly button for men. For women, it's taken at the smallest circumference of the torso between the ribs and the pelvis. I'd measure under excess skin.

That's my opinion as well.