Options

Replies

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    iowalinda wrote: »
    kgb6days wrote: »
    OK - what am I missing???? I got a spiralizer and gave it a try. Mind you I love veggies, zucchini being one of them. I was WAY under impressed. I've never been able o make spaghetti squash work for me either. If I want spaghetti, I want the real deal. It just doesn't fool me into believing that it's really spaghetti. I've even tried sautéing them with EVOO and seasonings - nope. Just doesn't do it for me. Anybody want a spiralizer?

I'd like one, if it's not the little hand held one :)

my little hand held one works great once i figured it out :o

Mine, too! I have no trouble with it. It's this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/7TECH-Professional-Vegetable-Handheld-Spiralizer/dp/B07C3MX4W5/ref=sr_1_56?ie=UTF8&qid=1535933499&sr=8-56&keywords=spiralizer

Best ten bucks I spent all summer! :)
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I had a little handheld one but gave it away--it just didn't fit many of the homegrown zucchini and I wanted to do squash and maybe beets. In general are the noodles in the grocery store just as good?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    Ha! That's how I felt when I first discovered spaghetti squash. It's a great feeling! Enjoy!

I have still never tried spaghetti squash!

I tried it. Once. I was underwhelmed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    OK - what am I missing???? I got a spiralizer and gave it a try. Mind you I love veggies, zucchini being one of them. I was WAY under impressed. I've never been able o make spaghetti squash work for me either. If I want spaghetti, I want the real deal. It just doesn't fool me into believing that it's really spaghetti. I've even tried sautéing them with EVOO and seasonings - nope. Just doesn't do it for me. Anybody want a spiralizer?

I'd take it, but predict my experience would be exactly the same as yours.

I just eat smaller portions of real spaghetti. Sometimes with zucchini. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017463-summer-pasta-with-zucchini-ricotta-and-basil
    (Sorry, you may need to create a (free) account in order to see it.)

Here's another thing I like to do with zucchini: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chocolate-zucchini-cake-907
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I have been buying the zucchini noodles in the grocery store. I do have a spiralizer, but I've never used it. But I've got some zucchini in the fridge, maybe I'll get my spiralizer out and give it a try. The thing that bothers me about buying it in the store is I'm never sure how long ago it was spiralized.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Yeah, I think a spiralizer is a fun way to change up how you serve your veggies. But in no way are they a pasta replacement to me. I think people who think the best part of pasta is the sauce can get away with it though. For me I love the chewy, doughiness of pasta and rice, and veggies just aren't the same! It's awesome if it works for other people, or at least gets them eating more veggies :smiley:
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yeah, I think a spiralizer is a fun way to change up how you serve your veggies. But in no way are they a pasta replacement to me. I think people who think the best part of pasta is the sauce can get away with it though. For me I love the chewy, doughiness of pasta and rice, and veggies just aren't the same! It's awesome if it works for other people, or at least gets them eating more veggies :smiley:

It definitely is a fun way to serve up vegetables, and, like you, I need to have pasta with my pasta dishes :D

But I have found I can reduce the amount of spaghetti I need in my bowl if I mix it with some zucchini noodles too, or even just bulk up my allotted serving size of pasta. (I have type 2 diabetes so have to count carbs)

I used to look askance at people enthusing about cauliflower rice... but it is rather incredible as a spicy "rice" stirfry... just doesn't keep me full me long enough, but it's ideal for a lunch. Next time we have chilli/curry, I might sub out some of the rice with cauliflower rice, see how that goes.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We often make zoodles and love them! Often mixed with real spaghetti if I have the calories. If not, just zoodles with sauce. Love them.
  • 2018gettinghealthy
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    What brand or type of spiralizer do you have? I tried one of the little hand ones and found it to be a pain in the butt.

I purchased a Paderno 3 blade spiralizer and really like it. They sell it with more blades (different shapes/sizes) but I tend to use the same blade. https://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-Spiralizer-Counter-Mounted/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=asc_df_B0007Y9WHQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167123558869&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3256281082210034388&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021442&hvtargid=pla-138647009355&psc=1
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Carrot noodles. Love em.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I see some use part zoodle, part regular pasta so they get the same chew as pasta but with additional volume of zoodles.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I see some use part zoodle, part regular pasta so they get the same chew as pasta but with additional volume of zoodles.

I often add veggies to my pasta to add volume without as many cals, so that makes sense!
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I like the fact that it gives me a little bit of extra iron, fibre, vitamin c, etc... I definitely want to have it with long noodles mixed in, one day, but so far have been too lazy, because the zoodles are just so quick to prepare, compared to noodles. I love the fact that I can eat a gigantic bowl of these in bulk and feel really satisfied. I also find they don't hurt my stomach like pasta does (but I will always still eat pasta regardless!).

I find the secret is to cut it with skin along the side of the zoodle as much as possible, then I usually quickly sear it over a high heat, in a saucepan with half a teaspoon of olive oil. I only do this for about 2-3 minutes. We usually add our protein and a kick arsh (got around your *kitten* censorship MFP! Shakes fist.) sauce. Absolute heaven. I say 'we', as in my partner and teenage daughter; I've gotten three of our family of five hooked!
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat much zucchini before I got a spiralizer, so I gave it a try. Weird thing is I hardly use the thing now, but it has got me hooked on zucchini. I'd just rather dice it or cut it into planks for the grill but now I eat it all the time.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

There is no way that zoodles can replace pasta and cauliflower replace rice as the taste and texture are way too different. I actually prefer the zucchini and cauliflower over the pasta and rice though so it is a win/win for me, especially as it gives me the calories for cheese!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I like zucchini noodles barely cooked with some marinara sauce, some cut up cooked chicken and topped with mozzarella.
    I also like kung pao zoodles or Greek style zoodles.

I could eat any of these dishes with the zucchini cut into cubes I suppose but the noodle shape is fun. I don't think of zoodles as a replacement for pasta. It is its own thing.
    I have use my spiralizer on potato, apple, carrot, parsnip, and zucchini.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/?s=Spiralized&submit=
    https://inspiralized.com/spiralized-recipes/?cat=featured-recipe
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have it and love it. Bought mine for $9.99 at Aldi. I had zoodles for lunch today...I don't really do the entire "marinara and sausage" because I agree, it doesn't taste like the real noodle. But I love it for low carb lunches. I love Mighty Spark's ground Tai chicken mixed with fresh onions and peppers and the zoodles. I ate at 11:30 this morning and don't need my occasional 3:00 snack to get me through until dinner. If I had noodles at lunch, I would be hungrier.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    We also slice zucc long and thin on a meat slicer for lasagna noodles...yummy
  • kara_tastic
    kara_tastic Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We love spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles! My KIDS love it! The one thing my 13 yo ask for weekly... my zoodles with heavy cream. I add in chicken for the other kids