Less Alcohol - September 2018 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Welcome any tips and tricks for dealing with anxiety and excess energy from cutting down or cutting down alcohol (that doesn't involve eating). Maybe any good herbal teas to take before bed? Natural remedies?
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    edited September 2018
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    Seven drinks in a week? That’s crazy. 7 before dinner. I hate that this is who I am.

Pudgy welcome, those were my exact feelings when I first saw this chart too, so don't beat yourself up over the number. Because it sounds as if with your statement you want to do something about that number before dinner.
    Recognition is a great first step. Hope you join our group.
  • MissMay
    viceam wrote: »
    Welcome any tips and tricks for dealing with anxiety and excess energy from cutting down or cutting down alcohol (that doesn't involve eating). Maybe any good herbal teas to take before bed? Natural remedies?

Welcome - I like to fill my energy time with exercise or gardening. I am not into many teas except green tea. So I am not much help there. Glad you chimed in.
  • MissMay
    snoo61 wrote: »
    I love what you guys have going here. I can’t do it. But you can. Smazing people. All you. I’m done

1 less drink is still less.

BRAVO! Agreed.

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    @andysport1 Hey Andy, we haven’t heard from you in awhile. Hope you are doing well. Miss seeing your positive posts.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    I love what you guys have going here. I can’t do it. But you can. Smazing people. All you. I’m done

We are here for you! Keep checking in by sharing ; we have nothing but loving advice and motivation for you. Of course, you can do it. We all think that we can’t in the beginning . But you are no different than most of us. You have strength and determination. WE are Here for you! Xo
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    KKHKISHZKH wrote: »
    Day 2: My fiance decided to have a glass of gin to celebrate finishing his degree. I had a glass of squash then went and brushed my teeth to avoid temptation. :neutral:

That's awesome! Brushed teeth never stopped me!! >:)
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    @KKHKISHZKH considering Gin was my mouth wash at the time, take a mouthful swish around and then swallow great way to start the day. Never minded the brushed teeth taste the gin used to be the same burn as the listerine . Glad you avoided the temptation it so much more satisfying to look back after temptation avoided than it is after temptation succumbed to.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    viceam wrote: »

Go for a walk! Embrace the energy. :smile:

I found I needed less time in bed trying to sleep, and have also started doing things like drawing and writing with my extra time.

I was reading lately that stress doesn't have to be suppressed but can be seen as an opportunity to enhance your health and zest levels.

Maybe check out the self-care challenge threads, too, for ideas on creativity and relaxation at bedtime.
  • USCBMOM22
    USCBMOM22 Posts: 31 Member
    Good morning all! I hope everyone enjoyed a long holiday weekend. We spent the weekend with some friends at the beach. I indulged a little too much on Saturday evening, but I did great the rest of the weekend. I am not going to beat myself up over a slip up. I may have stumbled a little, but at least I didn't fall completely off the wagon, roll down the hill and end up face first in the ditch for the entire weekend :D I got up early this morning and went for a run before work. I packed my healthy foods for the day. I'm back on track. The goal for me this week is to stay AF. One day at a time.
  • MissMay
    USCBMOM22 wrote: »
    One day at a time.

AWESOME ATTITUDE, That is how you deal with it ▪one day at a time▪.

No one says you have to become completely AF for your entire life. There are ways to cut back for many of us and be happy.

Glad you were able to regroup and get back on track so quickly.

• jacq0220
    jacq0220 Posts: 27 Member
    Hello, I'm new here. I like what you're doing here. I'd like to be more free of alchohol. I'd like to work on the next 7 days. Alchohol derails my good work during the week. A glass of wine turns into a bottle, and the snacks...so this week. None.
  • MissMay
    jacq0220 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm new here. I like what you're doing here. I'd like to be more free of alchohol. I'd like to work on the next 7 days. Alchohol derails my good work during the week. A glass of wine turns into a bottle, and the snacks...so this week. None.

Hello and so glad you found our group. No matter what your goals are with less alcohol, you can share it here. Get through today and then move onto tomorrow. Step by step.
  • MissMay
    Day 3 of less alcohol. I'm still a novice & feeling like 1 lol.

Already got plans for weekend. AF. But I'm gona treat myself to some yummy food and make some healthy smoothies.

The weekend really is my danger zone.

Nice job!!

Oh those darn weekends......to full of temptations, I know all about that.

BE STRONG I know what your going through.
  • MissMay

Spent too many weekends suffering from hangovers. Ready for a change.

I'm also really excited to actually try moderate drinking at some point. I know it's wierd to be excited but have you seen those tiny bottles of wine? They are cute haha. I think 2 of them would be adequate instead of a full bottle. Can only try.

That is too funny and yes they are cute. I buy them in the 4 pack for the purpose of adding them to sauces or chowders only. I feel your excitement. It is a goal worth striving for.
    At one time I thought I needed to go totally AF. But just like eating and exercising I found routine and satisfaction from just cutting back and engaged my willpower muscle to help out.