Less Alcohol - September 2018 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• USCBMOM22
    USCBMOM22 Posts: 31 Member
    viceam wrote: »
    Awesome. Just survived a craving. Prepared a drink of 1freshly squeezed pink grapefruit and a generous squirt of lime, added some ice. Ok followed by a bite of chocolate. In 3 minutes I forgot about the wine and feel fine :)

This sounds yummy. I'm going to pick up some grapefruit today and give it a try.
  • USCBMOM22
    I have a question. How are you counting your AF days? I see many posts about consecutive days. Does anyone add up the AF days even if there is a moderation day or two in between? I have had way more AF days over the past month than I have had in quite some time. And the days I have allowed myself to drink have been in moderation. A huge improvement for me. I think if I challenge myself to pick up more AF days each month than the month before (even if not consecutive), it would be motivational for me.
  • USCBMOM22
    That does answer my question. Thank you. I'm actually considering keeping a journal to track my progress.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,298 Member
    MissMay, you are on a roll! Hope you feel better soon too!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2018
    I read today that the UK have a new campaign called "Drink Free Days".

https://www.drinkfreedays.co.uk/

The site has a calculator that converts your glasses of alcohol to standard units.

Woah, I was drinking a lot!

I recommend doing the check.

PLUS, the site has an app!

That's probably a way to monitor your AF days, @USCBMOM22

Also, from the article I read:

"Dr Julia Verne, a spokeswoman on liver disease for Public Health England said: "Having a day off drinking gives you a chance to clean your system and give your liver a rest. It also has an immediate impact on your sleep and calorie consumption."

"People have also told us that the idea of a 'drink-free' day is much easier to manage than cutting down, say, from one large glass of wine to a small glass of wine."

That's pretty much what we're learning in here!

I see it as "Intermittent Sobriety".

Quitting for a day is easier than having less for a day (due to "I'll just have one more").
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,095 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

The site has a calculator that converts your glasses of alcohol to standard units.

Orphia, I have belonged to this site since this past Spring. EXCELLENT tools and references for cutting back or quiting. I love the daily calender to keep track of either no drinking day or how many and what type you did have.
    The only thing is I am SHOCKED that the UK has higher drinking standards ratios. Women are allotted 14 drinks per week there compared to the 7 for the USA standard.( I will stick to the USA standard thank you! )

@viceam yes I am finally feeling better as of yesterday. That darn goldenrod going in my field was getting the best of me.

• USCBMOM22

That's probably a way to monitor your AF days, @USCBMOM22

Also, from the article I read:

"Dr Julia Verne, a spokeswoman on liver disease for Public Health England said: "Having a day off drinking gives you a chance to clean your system and give your liver a rest. It also has an immediate impact on your sleep and calorie consumption."

"People have also told us that the idea of a 'drink-free' day is much easier to manage than cutting down, say, from one large glass of wine to a small glass of wine."

That's pretty much what we're learning in here!

I see it as "Intermittent Sobriety".

Quitting for a day is easier than having less for a day (due to "I'll just have one more").

Thank you, Orphia! I will check this website out today. It looks like a great tool to keep track.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,687 Member
    OMG I found you guys! I have not been on this thread since May.

June, July and August are my travel, party, drinking, do it all before Winter months. I've picked up some weight. I don't regret it. I am back on track, I haven't had a desire to drink. But it feels good being back. I will have to catch up and do some reading.
  • winnerinky
    winnerinky Posts: 5 Member
    Great thread, I am happy to say I finally have started my nearly-free alcohol journey. Cheers to us all for our efforts!!
  • FeelinFooFoo
    FeelinFooFoo Posts: 4,738 Member
    Well iv got some plans for this weekend. On Friday me and the other half are going out for a nice meal, Italian. I will probably have wine! I have discussed my plans for consuming less alcohol with my partner and asked for his support. He isn't a big drinker anyway, he can say no to alcohol, unlike me over here! But he has his moments as well. He knows how much this means to me so he's behind me which means so much. I feel MUCH more relaxed in my mind as I have a plan for the evening and have 'mapped out my evening'.

This will be a challenge as we're going to a restaurant then a pub. But I'm gona be mindful this time. That's the main difference I think. I'm hoping to possibly reduce my alcohol even further in time, but for now my plan is to 'allow' myself 2 large glasses of wine at dinner then 2 beers in the pub. Knowing me, I'l end up wanting 2 wines at the pub instead of beer. I need to now ask myself why I want to reach for higher alcohol content beverages. Am I trying to get drunk? This is me on my learning curve now and I'l be faced with and asking myself a lot of questions when I do partake in consuming alcohol. I need to. I have mindlessly drank for so many years and the questions have never been asked. Never mind answered.

Not really adding up AF days as I just usually have issues at the weekend and don't drink during week. Well, there was a few times during the week but I don't think I want to add up my AF days as it's just my binge drinking on occasion that is my issue.

:)
  • MissMay
    dbanks80 wrote: »

June, July and August are my travel, party, drinking, do it all before Winter months. I've picked up some weight. I don't regret it. I am back on track, I haven't had a desire to drink. But it feels good being back. I will have to catch up and do some reading.

Holy smokes....look who's in da house -> @dbanks80 welcome back.
    Being aware of where you now stand with alcohol and wanting to cut back is a huge achievement for you @FeelinFooFoo. It truly foes take baby steps for the majority of us doing this. More power to those who can quit cold turkey ( what ever the vise may be that they are trying to control)
    It sounds as though you plan is well thought out and having your partner on your level makes it a heck of a lot easier. Cheering for you.
    winnerinky wrote: »
    Great thread, I am happy to say I finally have started my nearly-free alcohol journey. Cheers to us all for our efforts!!
    😆

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    MissMay wrote: »

Orphia, I have belonged to this site since this past Spring. EXCELLENT tools and references for cutting back or quiting. I love the daily calender to keep track of either no drinking day or how many and what type you did have.
    The only thing is I am SHOCKED that the UK has higher drinking standards ratios. Women are allotted 14 drinks per week there compared to the 7 for the USA standard.( I will stick to the USA standard thank you! )

@viceam yes I am finally feeling better as of yesterday. That darn goldenrod going in my field was getting the best of me.

No, the UK standard drink is only 0.564 of a US standard drink.
  • MissMay
    @orphia wrote: No, the UK standard drink is only 0.564 of a US standard drink.

Oh gee, not sure how I misinturpted that difference.

• FeelinFooFoo
    FeelinFooFoo Posts: 4,738 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »

Holy smokes....look who's in da house -> @dbanks80 welcome back.
    Being aware of where you now stand with alcohol and wanting to cut back is a huge achievement for you @FeelinFooFoo. It truly foes take baby steps for the majority of us doing this. More power to those who can quit cold turkey ( what ever the vise may be that they are trying to control)
    It sounds as though you plan is well thought out and having your partner on your level makes it a heck of a lot easier. Cheering for you.
    winnerinky wrote: »
    😆

Thank you @MissMay. Nice to know you are cheering me on ! I am definetly putting a lot of thought and planning into this lol. I want to understand my relationship with alcohol and harness it goddammit so that it doesnt cause me any issues. I'm looking forward to my journey.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    I hate to say that, for me, it's all about La Croix or club soda.

We're attempting two different themed months: September to Remember (only one or two days where drinks are allowed) and Sober October (cold turkey, baby).
  • MissMay
    @MissMay - The only thing is I am SHOCKED that the UK has higher drinking standards ratios. Women are allotted 14 drinks per week there compared to the 7 for the USA standard.( I will stick to the USA standard thank you! )
    Ok I see now.
    The UK uses the term UNITS. Women are suggested to stick to 14 UNITS or less per week which would be equivalent to 7.89 US drinks by measure.

Makes my head hurt "to do the math".

• dbanks80
    I went to Italy couple weeks ago. I have to say the wine there is phenomenal. I did overindulge but what was great is that I did not have a hangover not once. It is to the point that I really dont want to drink wine here because I am so turned off by the hangovers and lethargy. Maybe that is a good thing. What is in our wine that makes it so different from theirs.
  • dbanks80