Trying to figure out how to add more calories, since seems with my strat, it's a bit aggressive

Options
2»

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Granola. Very tiny amounts have a bazillion calories. One serving with yogurt adds a lot!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I decided to go with adding some peanut butter to my oatmeal in the morning. This'll take some trial and error to get things just right (seven pounds in one week's a bit extreme; I want to aim for 1-3 a week instead).

Oh and I forgot to mention. Since my main exercise right now is a thirty minute walk (About a mile at the moment) every morning, I'm not going to eat back any calories unless it gets to be just..way too much. I think eating back calories is stupid..to a point.

Also part of how I got to this was again, oversnacking; I'd sometimes even buy Oreos/nuts/candy at Dollar General and eat the whole bag! Which is why I'm trying to be careful about not snacking much. Not to mention picking in leftovers and not watching how much I ate. Mostly just stress/bored eating.

something that helps me with oreos etc...when I buy them - I immediately divide the bag into single servings and then put them away - so if I want some I just grab a single bag to eat
  • maryadavies4667
    maryadavies4667 Posts: 58 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'll remember that Deanna; just right now I'd rather make sure i'm not pigging out b/c I'm bored or something and repping that with feeding the game machine instead. It's just bad habits caused by just not controlling what I ate.

Not to mention STAY THE FRICK OUT OF THE FRIDGE. Picking in leftovers = Very Bad Idea since I just eat, I don't check to see how much.

I noticed someone mentioned a book too; I mean to get it.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    If I've got this right, yo originally had 100 lbs to lose; and you lost 21 lbs the first month (for which, Congratulations! B) )

But you lost 3 lbs this week, have been averaging 1200 cal/day on a plan that calls for 1910 cal/day, and you have not been making your protein macros. I think you're very right to be concerned about getting sick.

Since your sister is concerned about your eating too much milk, cheese and eggs; would it be doable to work out an agreement with her as how much of each you would eat per day? Say maybe, a cup of milk, an ounce or two of cheese, and an egg per day (or more, if she's cool with that). Then you an she would both have the reassurance of knowing how much you would be eating, and she would know how much would be disappearing from her larder.

The foods you've mentioned as readily available include:
    tuna
    canned chicken
    protein powder
    peanut butter
    oatmeal
    bread (in pb&j sammwich form)
    pasta
    oranges
    apples
    carrots
    (and maybe almonds)

A few thoughts:
    - Apples and peanut butter have already been mentioned, but they're a favorite of mine, too.
    - You could boost your oatmeal, pasta dishes, and tuna or chicken salad with protein powder.
    - Cooking your carrots may help make them easier on the system if you're eating a lot of them.
    - Looking at this list makes me want a nice tuna-with-slivered almonds salad.

Someone mentioned getting beans, peas, lentils, etc, from the food bank. My food bank generally has lots of these, dry and canned, and are very generous with them. I also get lots of my produce from the food bank, especially at this time of year when farms and gardens are overflowing. Some vegetable are fairly high in protein; including spinach, kale, collard, beet greens, turnip greens, peas, green beans, sweet corn, broccoli, potatoes, mushrooms, chickpeas, yams, and sweet potatoes.

Any possibility you could go to the food bank with your sister, or for her?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    Get your protein. Post by kiela above covers how it can be done on a budget. Apples were a gotto snack for me while I was losing weight because I found them filling for the calories. It does sound however as if you might eventually need to increase your calories closer to mfp's recommended levels.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If you're able to get hold of a tin of chickpeas, cook and then mash them and add a drizzle of oil to make a basic houmous / hummus - lovely as a dip for carrots. If you happen to have lemon, cumin or paprika, add a little bit for a more authentic taste but you don't need them and houmous is an easy way to boost calories and protein.

Consider chopping an apple and adding that to your oatmeal too. Or chopping a handful of nuts if you have any of those.

I'm in the UK so have no idea what Dollar General sells, but if it has cheese, could you buy your own every so often?

Although she's controlling and you avoid her, could you possibly sit down with your sister and plan nutritious,cheap meals by searching on the internet for dishes containing the ingredients available to you?
  • maryadavies4667
    maryadavies4667 Posts: 58 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Okay, I discovered also that I'm WORSE than I thought weight wise (another reason to get with the doctor). I was 134 pounds overweight. (106 now)

I'm ordering that protein powder just to be safe, and I'm going to ask folks something too.

Also the Church food bank works wierdly. Ya order the stuff beforehand and THEN go pick it up; you can't choose it there. I do have SOME input there but they also limit how much you can get (like we can only get 4 gallons of milk every two weeks, and X amount of meat and cheese)

And Dollar General sells things like junk food, some milk, some cheese, some tinned meats. (but at bad prices for the fresh stuff; heck, it's expensive for staples in general); hence why it's better to avoid. However, it's the only place I can walk to atm. The grocery stores are further away, like 3-5 miles away (I'd def get my walk doing that but there is no sidewalk and it's DANGEROUS; the drivers are nuts. I'd rather get my butt in shape and THEN pedal to the grocery stores; until then I have to bum rides, which isn't easy sometimes.)

I'll make a excuse to go down to Dollar General and see if they have chickpeas though.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Procrastinating on doing my housework :/ , so checked the weekly ad for a random Dollar General in GA (the one I happened on is 15 mi outside of Macon).

Your best bets for protein might be Swanson's Canned Chicken at $2.50/can (9.75 - 12 oz). They also have Clover Valley Sunflower Kernels at $1.50/7.25 oz. (I like half a tablespoon or so of sunflower seeds stirred in my oatmeal). Bush's Baked Beans are on sale for $4/4 28 oz cans, and Van de Camp's Pork-&-Beans are $1/2 15 oz cans.

Okay, enough shilly-shallying around with other people's grocery prices - my dirty dishes await! B)