I am amazed that not many people train their legs

Options

Replies

• sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    running on the treadmill is worse on your joints/hips (according to the chiropractor that my fiancee sees). Having the belt basically be pushing AGAINST your feet every time they land isn't the best for you.

I don't really have any documentation for this, this is just what I heard from my fiancee who recently had hip problems from running (not from a treadmill).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Explain to me the balance and coordination difference between running outside on the sidewalk versus running on a treadmill.

I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that not everyone who runs oustide does so on a sidewalk . My husband and I hike and it's not uncommon to see runners on the hiking/biking trails. It's quite humbling when you are working your way up the side of a mountain to have someone trot by you like it were flat ground.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While I agree that many people skip legs at the gym, I pretty much disagree with everything you said specific to running.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    LOL at the women in this thread that thinks that doing weight training with their legs will make them big or muscular. Its incredibly hard for women to get definition in their legs. You aren't going to get defined legs on accident by doing some squats or leg presses once a week.

And women who are dieting aren't going to gain any muscle in their legs.
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So because of cosy indoor temperatures, cushioned footing, a smooth flat surface as opposed to running on a sidewalk, and no rain (god knows a downpour will make for a better workout), and a run in with a dog.....running outside is better than running on a treadmill?

These are some of the reasons that running outside is 'harder' than a treadmill.
    Explain to me the balance and coordination difference between running outside on the sidewalk versus running on a treadmill.

I thought that was my question! I thought I suggested that there is no difference between treadmill and outside (except that some people perceive the treadmill as easier because it is consistent). I was questioning the statement that the treadmill needs twice as much balance and co-ordination as running outside.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that not everyone who runs oustide does so on a sidewalk . My husband and I hike and it's not uncommon to see runners on the hiking/biking trails. It's quite humbling when you are working your way up the side of a mountain to have someone trot by you like it were flat ground.

Quite. I do my runs 20% field (very hard work and uphill), 40% road (hilly) and 40% trail (flat but uneven surface, so you have to really use your ankles and feet for balance). I don't see how that is magically easier than running on a treadmill. I have just spent 2 weeks in Italy training running down a mountain and back up again on roads with 30% gradient in 30 degree heat. Again, harder than most treadmill workouts. Running isn't all flat pavements.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

I mean sure Bcatt I understand that. I'm just speaking in general of people running whether they are running for exercise or training for a 10k, etc.
  • fteale
    Options
    LOL at the women in this thread that thinks that doing weight training with their legs will make them big or muscular. Its incredibly hard for women to get definition in their legs. You aren't going to get defined legs on accident by doing some squats or leg presses once a week.

And women who are dieting aren't going to gain any muscle in their legs.

I don't do a huge amount of leg work outside of running. As I said, squats, lunges and circuits classes, but not what you weight lifters would call "work", and yet somehow I have extremely defined leg muscles. You can see each muscle in my leg quite clearly through the skin. In my experience and that of most of my female friends who workout a lot, it isn't at all difficult to get good definition in our legs.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    two points-
    regarding the comment that marathon runners have stick legs. I'm married to a marathon runner and all he has is muscles on his legs and they are very sexy. Nope, not bulky, but I don't find the bulky muscles nice to see- they are rather disgusting to me. Muscles develop to what they are required/needed to do. If you need to be able to lift and load cargo you need different muscles than if you are going to get somewhere fast.
    regarding the comment that treadmill is better than road running. I've never heard anyone say that- running is running, it's still one foot in front of the other. But on the treadmill you are missing the experience of pushing up that hill just a few seconds faster than last time, being on trails with roots and rocks or roads with potholes and dogs. You are missing the fun of a good run in the rain, or meeting a group and running with the sunrise. And, you're missing the added expense of the gym. Although the treadmill does have that nice water bottle holder so you don't have to carry extra weight yourself. I've done both and I prefer the road, but will use a treadmill if that's an option, air-conditioning and TV while you exercise can be ok, too.
    Finally, if it's not something someone wants to do, if they don't find a purpose or enjoyment out of the process or result then they are not going to do it. Maybe their goals are different than yours, at least they are at the gym or on the road doing something and not eating a whole pizza and sitting on the couch.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    A simple analogy would be this:

Leg Press vs Full Squats

Running outside (bike trail, sidewalk) vs Running on a treadmill

There is ALOT more balance and coordination involved in doing Squats versus Leg Presses. The same with running on a treadmill than just running down the sidewalk in your city.

If you're going to throw out the "running up the side of a mountain or hill while on a bike trail", I will throw out the "turn the incline up on a treadmill". I would also be interested in seeing a study by the NIH or by Harvard Science that shows running on a treadmill surface is alot worse for your joints than running out on an asphault bike trail or on a concrete sidewalk.

Not trying to continously beat this dead horse down, but I'm just talking here.
  • GettingFitterVicki
    GettingFitterVicki Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Really? Not the case in my gym! I run and I much prefer leg training to arm training! I have strong legs though and weak arms so I find it easier.
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

There is ALOT more balance and coordination involved in doing Squats versus Leg Presses. The same with running on a treadmill than just running down the sidewalk in your city.

Why? Its the same, surely?

This is the whole of my question:

Why do you assert that the treadmill requires more co-ordination and balance than running outside?
  • fteale
    Options

Leg Press vs Full Squats

If you're going to throw out the "running up the side of a mountain or hill while on a bike trail", I will throw out the "turn the incline up on a treadmill". I would also be interested in seeing a study by the NIH or by Harvard Science that shows running on a treadmill surface is alot worse for your joints than running out on an asphault bike trail or on a concrete sidewalk.

I'm not "throwing out" anything. Just commenting that you can't easily compare the two as the outside world has so many variations. Every person's running route is different in gradient and surface.

I couldn't care less what other people do exercise wise, that is up to them. I prefer to be outside. I hate the gym atmosphere, and have neither the time nor inclination to join one. I do various classes with a private fitness instructor that fits in around my childcare and I run. That works for me. I find this criticising of other people's exercise regime's that goes on on this site pretty nauseating. Different people have different life styles and different goals. At least everyone here IS exercising. Try laying into the millions of people who don't instead if you want to feel superior to someone.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When you run on a treadmill, you are basically keeping up with a belt, and remaining stationary. When you run outside, you are moving the weight of your body forward, which requires more energy. I don't know about the differences in balance and core. I haven't seen any studies that compare the two. I know for myself, I find it much harder running outside than on a treadmill. I'll have to measure the calorie burn then next time I run outside.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options

Leg Press vs Full Squats

Not trying to continously beat this dead horse down, but I'm just talking here.
    All I can say is you must have perfectly flat sidewalks where you live! When I run outside, I'm up and down the pavement crossing roads, high-stepping over broken paving stones and where tree roots are busting through, feeling the burn of even the smallest undulation, changing surface from tarmac to concrete to paving stones to cinder paths to grass. And to doubly prove how much balance and coordination it takes, I've tripped over more than once in pot-holes and over irregular paving stones while running outdoors when I've lost my concentration, but never on the treadmill, where I barely need to lift my feet an inch to move forward!
  • joejccva71
    Options

Why do you assert that the treadmill requires more co-ordination and balance than running outside?

How is running outside the same as running on a treadmill where it's platform is constantly moving forcing you to coordinate and balance your running on it? You can slow down, speed up, not really worry about changing footing outside with very little problem of falling. On a treadmill you are forced to maintain the steady pace unless you change the speed setting on it. You can't just slow down when you want to unless you change the speed setting. If you kept the same pace, then slowed down you could lose balance and fall.

Not really sure how you can call it the same.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

How is running outside the same as running on a treadmill where it's platform is constantly moving forcing you to coordinate and balance your running on it? You can slow down, speed up, not really worry about changing footing outside with very little problem of falling. On a treadmill you are forced to maintain the steady pace unless you change the speed setting on it. You can't just slow down when you want to unless you change the speed setting. If you kept the same pace, then slowed down you could lose balance and fall.

Not really sure how you can call it the same.

Actually, running on a treadmill uses less energy than running outside given the same pace. The treadmill ground is moving under you, carrying your ground foot and giving it more momentum to kick back and reset the running motion. Also, you're making no forward movement as you are when running outside.

You can argue this if you want, but it's physics and biomechanics, not really an argument to be made.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It takes more coordination to run on a treadmill as the belt is constantly moving, forcing you to maintain an exact pace, as well as the cushion of the belt can lead to a small "bounce" that can throw off balance. That's compared to running on a track. Running outside is harder on the joints, as it's a harder impact on the ground.

Although, I'll put both treadmill running and outside running over the elliptical machine any day. You may burn a few more calories with an elliptical, but it doesn't train your body to do anything practical in the real world, unless you like riding your bike standing up on the pedals all the time.

I train full body 2 to 3 days a week, legs are definitely the hardest, but that's why I love them.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    When you run on a treadmill, you are basically keeping up with a belt, and remaining stationary. When you run outside, you are moving the weight of your body forward, which requires more energy. I don't know about the differences in balance and core. I haven't seen any studies that compare the two. I know for myself, I find it much harder running outside than on a treadmill. I'll have to measure the calorie burn then next time I run outside.

This. Thank you for finding the words I was looking for to respond.

I don't know about studies or anything else...but just from personal experience, my pace on the treadmill is faster and I would assume it's because I'm being "pushed along". Also, my burn is more on road runs, even on flat road runs.

To the people talking about the studies showing how running on the treadmill is harder on your joints, it sounds like a running technique problem. I've looked into different running techniques and part of the Chi technique talks about not taking long strides because basically you are going against the movement of your body while running.