124»

Replies

• michaelandashley4infinity
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Calories for weight.

Exercise for health.

Just eat at a deficit, what MFP gives you is recommended so try not to deviate from that too much.

I find that adding exercise, I lose weight a little slower: because after a great workout I want to eat everything!!!!!

Thanks. I find I sometimes eat more after exercise too. I've decided to worry about my successes rather than focus on my failures with trying to lose weight since after talking to my psychologist. 1 success is still 1 success and 7 successes and 2 failures are still 7 successes and 2 failures. So that makes me feel better. I shouldn't be punishing myself when I fail except keep trying and don't give up.

The only failure in weight loss is completely giving up. I understand the desire to get back to the body you want as fast as possible, but the reality is that the steeper the deficit, the less likely you will get that. Eating too low (which 1200 calories with that activity level most certainly is) will burn through a larger portion of your muscle.

You have done really well to this point. You need to look at the bigger picture. I suspect you will like your results more if you take a little longer getting there, add in some strength training as suggested (that thread previously linked includes body weight programs, so no need for special equipment and because they are established programs there is no guessing at what you are doing).

This process can be frustrating and slow. Patience, consistency, and persistence are all very important.

I've felt like giving up this week. I've been under a lot of stress. I hope I don't give up. I went for a walk and done 9300 steps today. So that was good. I've slacked off abit this week. Gotta get back up and try again. It is very slow especially at only 0.3 - 0.5kg loss a week. Its upsetting but I've gotta try realise its healthier to lose 0.5kg a week and not 10kg. Patience I need more of.
    Options
    Congrats on getting off the meth! Check your profile. 1850 sounds high for a weight-loss mode. I am on a 2lb/week loss program and my daily calorie allowance is 1200. If I exercise, I'm given more calories, which I don't use. I'm wondering if maybe you didn't click on a weight loss # when you signed up. Check your profile. Again, it's so wonderful that you have already made such a big step in your healthy lifestyle.

Thanks it was really hard getting off the method but I didn't give up. I do most days per week an hour and a half walk or sometimes two hour walk and some days a bike ride. My dietician gave me a 1200 calorie diet but its very hard to stick to but I'm trying not to give up
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Congrats on getting off the meth! Check your profile. 1850 sounds high for a weight-loss mode. I am on a 2lb/week loss program and my daily calorie allowance is 1200. If I exercise, I'm given more calories, which I don't use. I'm wondering if maybe you didn't click on a weight loss # when you signed up. Check your profile. Again, it's so wonderful that you have already made such a big step in your healthy lifestyle.

1850 is fine for her stats, especially if she chose .5 kg a week. And your goal should be 1200 PLUS exercise calories.

I do an hour and a half walk most days a week and sometimes it goes for two hours if I take the walk abit slower. I just started bike riding too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thanks it was really hard getting off the method but I didn't give up. I do most days per week an hour and a half walk or sometimes two hour walk and some days a bike ride. My dietician gave me a 1200 calorie diet but its very hard to stick to but I'm trying not to give up

ignore that post, you dont need to eat 1200 cals to lose weight.
    Options
    rsj7799 wrote: »
    If you like doing a lot of cardio, keep doing it! It has massive health benefits and the extra calories burned will let you eat them back and still lose weight. I personally find if I don't get 90+ minutes of walking or bike riding, etc. in a day I tend to get grumpy and irritable. Other people are different.

You'll find on this forum that some people are super into weight lifting and others find more happiness in cardio. Ideally some of both is great because they each have different very complementary benefits, just keep in in mind when you get differing advice from different people on exercise its because they usually lean one way or the other. (I personally do both, but I find the cardio stuff fun and resistance training a matter of self discipline).

When you talk to your nutritionist you need to flat out tell them that you would prefer a program that loses weight more gradually and lets you eat more while you are losing. As others in the thread have rightly pointed out, 1200 calories are the bare minimum for a woman who gets zero exercise, and your current level of exercise would put you under the safe limit. Most people want faster results so they are going to gear a nutrition program assuming that unless you tell them otherwise. You need to tell them exactly how much physical activity you do, and how much you need to eat to make the eating plan sustainable. If they can't work within those parameters you need to find someone else.

Best of luck to you, and congrats on the weight you have already lost!

Yes not walking makes my mental health play up. It can make me stressed out if I don't go for a walk and it can really help my mind and my mental health and my stress and my depression and it helps me feel good. I will definitely tell my nutritionalist on my next visit. Thanks
  • JoanneJosephsen
    JoanneJosephsen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000 to 1200 but I don't exercise much due to bad health. I do keto lifestyle again for health reasons. I hope you find something that works for you Hun. But I would talk to your dietitian again :) Good Luck xx
  • daveshuff
    daveshuff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Some people don't realize mfp is just a tool that can help you stay on track and it's recommendations are based on an average.

THIS! MFP is not the be all/end all of healthy diet and weight loss. It is simply a tool to help you achieve your goals. YOU decide what you want to do....how and what you want to eat....how and how much you want to exercise. Everyone here is basically following their own path and using MFP to track their progress.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Mfp often overestimates calories burned from exercise. Try jogging, swimming, skipping, aerobics or something else that gets your heart rate up. You can get down to the 60s again I am sure!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mfp often overestimates calories burned from exercise. Try jogging, swimming, skipping, aerobics or something else that gets your heart rate up. You can get down to the 60s again I am sure!

MFP has never overestimated my calories burnt...