Carb loading before long runs

Options
2»

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    In Matt Fitzgerald's book "The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition" he describes a way to eat extremely low carb for 10 days during the taper and then describes how to carbo-load from that state. The carbo-loading part may interest you. Of course he blasts low carb diets for runners for any other time (just an FYI). I briefly considered doing this until I started researching some more... Now I'm not 100% convinced carb loading does much at all. Of course I'll still do it because that's what we do. :wink:

I’ve never been one to argue against a plate of pasta!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    At face value, if you're carb loading for a half something is seriously wrong.

Not really, if your half takes at least 90 minutes. The science backs 4-10g/kg 36 to 48 hours before a race causes glycogen supercompensation - muscles holding more glycogen than normal.
    That's the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine. I'm not looking up further sources though :D

I should have phrased more clearly. If you need to carb load... You can finish a Half fairly easily without any special fuelling strategy.

And in the case of someone who is eating very low carb, the disruption is as likely to cause GI issues anyway
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    2bldunn64fvr.jpeg
    Is no one else picturing Michael Scott eating a huge portion of Alfredo before the rabies fun run? That’s literally all I have to offer in this conversation.