Noob need help lol

Options
Ok so I’m fairly new July 1, 2018 joined gym and began eating better. At first started with no activity and moved to light since getting into gym at minimum 4 days a week. I was 230 at start and now 210. Mgr at gym said to track food or exercise in separate app. Confused why do this? I am staying under calorie goal 1690 and logging everything here. She also said to try and eat that amount of calories which I’m struggling with. Also it seems all the articles I read and Dr.s advise are all different. I know the most important thing it to just keep going and eventually it will pay off. I am 46 and was in very poor health and finally decided to do something about it. Good news besides first weight loss is I’ve been able to come off drugs for high cholesterol and diabetes thus far. I can’t afford to have a coach at the gym so hoping to get some help here. Thanks 😊

Replies

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting started!! Absolutely can't imagine why you'd track on two separate apps, I'm flat out tracking on one most days! Although my Fitbit does most of the work for me in terms of exercise tracking, and I track on paper (old fashioned, I know) with resistance training so I can easily see what I've done/need to do during my workout without messing around on my phone. Definitely eat you calorie goal. I eat most of my exercise calories as well. Some people don't, some do - MFP is designed to still work if you do so. In fact you are encouraged to do so. Best of luck, sounds like you are off to a great start!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Well done! You have lost a good amount of weight in that time, which means you're not eating too much, nor too little. If you struggle with food, keep in mind that you can eat what you want, you just have to not eat too much over time, and logging should help ensure that. I don't know why person at gym said what she said - ask her? Advice will be different because people are different, but the general idea is that health is about balance, and you can find that balance in a number of ways.