Recipe maker help!

Options
Is there not a way for it to say after you entered a recipe if you eat this much it’s this many calories
It wants me to put in the servings and I don’t know what that is
Anyone help?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kksmom1789 wrote: »
    Is there not a way for it to say after you entered a recipe if you eat this much it’s this many calories
    It wants me to put in the servings and I don’t know what that is
    Anyone help?

Figure out how many time you plan to eat that dish as a meal and enter that as the number of servings. If you are making one dinner, it is one serving. If you are making a casserole, figure out how many meals that would be.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    For the casserole situation, I weigh the whole thing, subtract the dish, and enter that as the amount of servings.
    So the casserole may weigh 2300 g. that is 2300 servings and if I eat 187 grams, my diary entry says I ate 187 servings.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    What i do - things i make regularly i know how many serves it makes, so I call it, eg 3 serves.

and each time I know I have around a 1/3 of the total so I just go with that.

Things like soup - i weigh total and then divide it into 100 gm serves - eg if total is 2300g, i call it 23 serves.
    then I weigh each serve and log it as however many - eg 550g would be 5.5 serves

This is good for things like soup where i have different size serves - might have large bowl one night and then small mug with lunch next day

Weigh the empty container first and then subtract that from total cooked weight.

( I do this once and write in permanant texta on bottom of container for future reference)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    For the casserole situation, I weigh the whole thing, subtract the dish, and enter that as the amount of servings.
    So the casserole may weigh 2300 g. that is 2300 servings and if I eat 187 grams, my diary entry says I ate 187 servings.

I live alone so I don't bother. I divide it up into relatively equal portions according to the number of servings it makes and count each one as a serving. If I am a little over or a little under it doesn't matter since I am going to eat it all anyway. I will freeze a couple of servings right away them eat it a couple of days straight.

On the other hand, I DO weigh all solids and semi solids and measure all liquids (except water) when I prep it so I know the total calorie count, then decide how many servings based on size and calories.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    What are you cooking? casserole? soup? I normally estimate when I'm cooking at the servings and then after it's finished I can go in and edit the recipe to how many servings it actually ended up being