Intuitive Eating

Options
2»

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I can not do this because I will usually over eat- I do better to track and log- it is just what I need to do right now and possible for good-
  • stephanieturner0122
    Options
    At least 60% of Americans are overweight or obese. They are addicted to fat, sugar, and salt, and completely out of touch with what foods are healthy. They do not understand appropriate portion sizes. Intuitive eating for anyone who is overweight makes about as much sense as intuitive drinking when you're an alcoholic.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Intuitive eating is what led me to being overweight to begin with. Now I suffer from PTSD and am always restless and forcing myself to eat when I am not hungry more often than being hungry so would most likely lead me to undereating. If it works for you then that is great. I just don't think it would work with many, as shown by high obesity levels in western society.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I can intuitively eat at maintenance (took a good 6 months to teach myself how to).

I cannot intuitively eat for weight loss, I tend to reduce my calories too drastically. Therefore, I use MFP to help me so that I can remain a proper (.5lb/week or ~250 Cal/day) deficit for a healthy fat loss.

Most people are on MFP because they cannot eat intuitively for thier goals (weight loss, maintenance, or gain). There's nothing wrong with that as MFP is simply a tool to help make our lives a little easier. No different than any other tool we use in our lives.

THIS. Intuitive eating is great for me for maintaining. I cannot do it for losing. I truly find I think about food less when eating intuitively, and I like that. I recognize it is a mind game. I learned a lot of tools over the years from WW and MFP, and it's nice being able to employ them without thinking about it while maintaining.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to, and maybe someday I will. Right now, I doubt that could do it.

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Our body's hunger and fullness cues developed when food was scarce and we were spending all our time looking for food and the most caloric of it too thousands of years ago.
    I wouldn't trust them with my life.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm intuitive about a lot of things, but I cannot trust my body to tell me when it is hungry, for real. Being hungry means that you would eat anything, but most of the time, my emotions are talking, not my body.

This! I intuitively ate 3/4 of a box of Wheat Thins Monday night.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hm, it seems nuture is being downplayed quite a bit for the role in learning to eat intuitively. It is not entirely in our nature to eat poorly - I hope that would be obvious.

Intuitive doesn’t mean on impulse. However, learning to interpret your body’s signals is a skill that only becomes intuitive with habit and experience. Many people have not been taught how to interpret these signals in a way that promotes health - or, in my more paranoid view, some of those skills have actively been destroyed in the American psyche to promote consumerism (reading J.R. Galbraith’s The Affluent Society is enlightening).

I find it interesting how Americans have a prejudice about “cleaning the plate”, or at least many of us grew up that way. A study I read once compared American and French eaters in how they decided to stop eating - a bowl of soup constantly filled as they ate it, and the study measured how much was consumed. Americans ate much more, and in a questionnaire told the researchers they knew to stop eating when the bowl was empty, where the French participants said they knew to stop eating when they were full.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/23449358/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/stop-when-youre-full-you-must-be-french/

This is just one example, but I believe much of our eating habits are culturally determined, not just biological. I feel lucky that my parents did well in teaching me good eating habits, and my weight issues are much less severe than many of my peers, despite being subject to much of the same pressures of overconsumption and many, many incentives and opportunities to make poor decisions about food.

Eating intuitively to me means being able to know what I need without requiring external input - whether that leads to a poor food decision or a good one depends on how attuned I am to my body and previous experiences with food.

I feel maybe 80% confident in my intuitive sense about food, and that 20% of doubt has to do with all the unknowns about a different way of living because I am entrenched in my habits. Even when I try to break and form new ones, I am surprised how many options I am blind to, or would never believe as possible.
  • ErnestineBorgnine
    Options
    I love the idea of intuitive eating but the living it out...yeah, I fall flat on my face every time. I do great tracking and 95% of the time have no problem staying at or just under my daily calorie goal, but any time I have decided to eat intuitively I suddenly intuit my body needs the entire pint of ice cream and a few cookies to go with it. 🤣
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    For me, intuitive eating could be learned. It is eating what you know you should and stopping when you know you're full..and not eating mindlessly or emotionally, or for sport. which is what most of us did to get here.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My intuitive eating experiment led me to my highest ever weight with no signs of rate of gain tapering off.
    Calorie counting helped me lose weight.
    Eating mindfully to my needs and without calorie counting enables me to maintain long term.

My son is a true intuitive eater, eats very erratically to his hunger and varied needs but maintains at a healthy weight.