Opinions on Naked Smoothies?

Options
I bought some naked smoothies as a quick breakfast. They have a decent amount of sugar, but I’m thinking if I use it as a whole meal it’s ok? The protein ones had a lot of fat, so I stayed away from those. But the regular smoothies are ok or no?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's essentially an expensive juiced drink. Their nutrition seems ok, but my problem with them is they aren't going to fill you up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ginaxx118 wrote: »
    I bought some naked smoothies as a quick breakfast. They have a decent amount of sugar, but I’m thinking if I use it as a whole meal it’s ok? The protein ones had a lot of fat, so I stayed away from those. But the regular smoothies are ok or no?

i think the regular one would be to carb-tastic for me to fit in my macros, plus drinking calories doesn't keep me full.

the protein one would be my choice if i had to drink them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's juice. If I *had* to have one for breakfast, I'd want one with protein and fat because just juice doesn't do much for me.

But if it satisfies you and fits in your goals, why not?
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I looked at the title and my mind went in a whole different direction.....
    That being said if you like them and you feel they are a good morning meal then that is fine.
    Of course this is from someone who loves Atkins shakes---actually drink them when not losing weight, just like them.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    They're ok I guess. I like bolthouse farms better. It's just fruit juice basically. I wouldn't drink one as a meal, that wouldn't be filling at all. I do have a protein shake for breakfast every morning but that fills me up because of the protein.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Way to grab attention w/ the word naked
    *backing out of thread*
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I've never thought much of the Naked brand "smoothies". When I used to travel frequently for work they're almost always an option at airports, way too much sugar for my preferences. If you're looking for something convenient I'd suggest a protein shake and 1-2 pieces of portable fruit (apple, banana, etc.) over a single beverage.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat my calories than drink them. Three hundred calories eaten goes a long ways compared to liquid calories. Without 53 grams of sugar.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ginaxx118 wrote: »

Personally a fruit smoothie with no fiber is just frothy fruit juice and would keep me full for about 15 minutes. I'd rather eat a banana and a yogurt. The protein ones only have 3 or 4g of fat, I don't consider that a lot, but 400+ calories, wow. None of those would work for me.

But honestly, it's about what fills you up and what the rest of your day is like. From a health perspective, the fruit smoothies are just fruit juice, ie sugar water with some nutrition in it. If you have enough calories and you don't eat much produce during the day, they might be fine for you. If you are struggling to stick to your calorie goal and already eating some fruit, IMHO these are just expensive extra calories, and for me are way too much sugar to waste on something that isn't chocolate :lol:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I don't use them as a meal but I like them and I don't mind the price that much. I have more calories to work with than some people though.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It's essentially fruit puree and water. When you look at the labels, they tell you what they include. For example, the Mighty Mango has over 1 whole mango, almost 2 whole apples, 1/2 an orange and 1/3 of a banana. Would you sit down and eat that much fruit for a meal?

What you could do, is mix half a smoothie with a little water and some protein powder. That'll at least give you some protein to go with the carbs.

I'm not against them, but just wanting to give you another perspective to consider. If you like the taste and they fit your goals, then go for it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    It's essentially fruit puree and water. When you look at the labels, they tell you what they include. For example, the Mighty Mango has over 1 whole mango, almost 2 whole apples, 1/2 an orange and 1/3 of a banana. Would you sit down and eat that much fruit for a meal?

What you could do, is mix half a smoothie with a little water and some protein powder. That'll at least give you some protein to go with the carbs.

I'm not against them, but just wanting to give you another perspective to consider. If you like the taste and they fit your goals, then go for it.

Yes, and then some, lol.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »

Actually one of the reasons I like them is because among the flavors they have 2 fruits I hate to eat. Mangos and kiwi. I like them well enough as a flavor in a drink or smoothie but hate them as a fruit.
  • StephNicole2018
    StephNicole2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I put chia seeds in mine. It helps fill me up. I don’t get them often. It’s a good quick grab “food” for me.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I looked at the title and my mind went in a whole different direction.....
    That being said if you like them and you feel they are a good morning meal then that is fine.
    Of course this is from someone who loves Atkins shakes---actually drink them when not losing weight, just like them.

I do this with Slim Fast,I just love the flavor of the chocolate ones!