Under desk stationary bike

Options
Does anyone have an under desk stationary bike in their office? Is it useful? Are they worth the price? I am considering getting one.

Replies

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Depends on how hard you use it. My hubby uses stationary bike as his main exercise and he ended up shearing the peddle right off two of them, just through use. They did not last long enough for the price.

• ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My preference would be to buy an adjustable sit/stand desk and to have a conventional bike with a smart trainer. I doubt it would be cheaper but would have the advantage if being more versatile.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I always have visions of people bashing their knees into their desk using these. The only person I know who bought one used it 2 or 3 times and sent it back to Amazon.

I'd suggest saving your money and, if you can, go for a walk at lunch or commute by bike to get some extra exercise in....
  • jckgmz
    jckgmz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been looking in to this too! I have a sitting job position and would love to see how to get a little active too. There is some YouTube videos on some exercises but I wonder if the desk bikes or other equipment really helps.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    DESKCYCLE !!!

It's pricey but is the lowest profile under the desk cycle. Built heavy like a standard stationary bike with tension adjustment and display that can fit on your desk. Quiet, no one knew I was using it unless they stood behind me.
    I bought one when I just started my weight loss journey as I couldn't walk or even stand for any length of time.... bad knees.
    I don't use it much now but am planning to put it to use in January to rehab from a double knee replacement.

For me it was worth EVERY CENT.

https://deskcycle.com/
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    To burn a lot of calories, you'll have to put a lot of energy into it. Indoors that will make you sweat. To improve your fitness, you need to exercise with enough intensity to stress your body, again, that doesn't really go well with being at work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I think they're pretty gimmicky. For extra movement I just get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour...take the scenic route to the bathroom or water cooler, mingle with co-workers, etc. Beyond that I make time for deliberate, dedicated exercise.

An under desk stationary bike is going to do very little for calorie burn or fitness unless you're really going at it...in which case, you probably wouldn't be focused on work.
  • bikecheryl
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think they're pretty gimmicky. For extra movement I just get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour...take the scenic route to the bathroom or water cooler, mingle with co-workers, etc. Beyond that I make time for deliberate, dedicated exercise.

An under desk stationary bike is going to do very little for calorie burn or fitness unless you're really going at it...in which case, you probably wouldn't be focused on work.

Have you ever tried one?
  • bikecheryl
    Options
    My preference would be to buy an adjustable sit/stand desk and to have a conventional bike with a smart trainer. I doubt it would be cheaper but would have the advantage if being more versatile.

Unfortunately I couldn't stand for more than a minute so the sit/stand desks weren't an option. Same with getting up and walking around. I'm not sure what OP's situation is like thou.
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have one under my desk at work. It has become a footrest. You have to pedal pretty hard for a while to count it as intentional exercise and isn't conducive to work, at least for me. If it's easier to pedal for 15 minutes, rather than take a walk around the block and you have the money to spend on it, I'd say it's pretty much equal.
  • bark2j5
    bark2j5 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have one that I use constantly. Yes, sometimes it does end up being a foot rest, but more often than not I peddle. Do I think I'm burning many calories? No. Am I moving? Yes, and in my opinion, that is better than nothing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Have you ever tried one?

Yes...it did next to nothing for my fitness and it was difficult to concentrate on actual work and pedal at the same time while I tried to not hit my knees on the desk.

8-10K steps per day, 15-20 mile bike rides on my lunch break on Tuesdays and Fridays and Saturday and Sunday and hitting the weight room 2-3x per week does me a lot better.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I got the Cubii Jr and love it! Am I burning a ton of calories? no, but it keeps me moving and my blood flowing.

I'm trying to up my NEAT. I realize that this (underdesk elliptical) is not the equivalent of actual exercise. I pedal slowly when I'm concentrating, and more quickly when I'm not.

You need about 3-4 inches of clearance under your desk. The pedals are a couple inches off the floor, and you need a couple inches of 'pedal room'. For what its worth, I live in a standard cube desk, and am 5'8", with no issues.

The standing desks are supposed to burn one calorie per minute more than just sitting. (i.e. 60 cal/hr more, assuming that you never get up from sitting). On the negative side, recent studies say that your risk of heart disease increases if you stand too long at work.
    https://www.iwh.on.ca/newsletters/at-work/90/standing-too-long-at-work-carries-twice-the-risk-of-heart-disease-as-sitting-too-long (There's some caveats to that study posted there as well, i.e. it reflects people who don't have the option to sit, etc)

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to reiterate....underdesk ellipticals don't really count as exercise, but improving NEAT can be very valuable.

I'm dropping this link here..

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1