Do calories or food choices matter more in losing weight?

Options
I am starting my journey to lose weight and I want some help getting started. My first cuts will be to stop eating fast food, no more sugary drinks, less processed food and counting my calories. This being said I will have cheat days where I can still enjoy the food I used to eat, just not every day or every week. I am wondering if it is more important to count the calories or still watch the food I am eating. For example, will I still lose weight if I eat mac & cheese, french toast, baked potatoes, garlic bread etc.? If I am using portion control and staying within my limits of daily calorie intake. With that being said, I still plan on incorporating healthier foods and more fruits + veggies.
Any insight/thoughts/personal experience would be appreciated.

Replies

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you just have to eat less (fewer calories than you burn). You (the universal you) don't have to count calories, just eat less of them. Some people have to count calories in order to ensure a calorie deficit, others can do it by simply reducing portion sizes and cut way back on the most calorie dense foods while they increase their intake of fruit, veg, lean meat, whole grains. So it depends on you.

Personally, if I were to lose weight now, I would just stick to three meals per day, simple but tasty meals, cooking as much as practically prssible (and fun) from scratch, leave treats for special occasions, and not count a single calorie. Because this is what I do to maintain my weight. But I don't think I could have managed this without having counted calories during weightloss and a bit into maintenance, so I am not against counting calories - it taught me how to eat, to trust that I had enough (but not too much) and to trust myself. I have a history of food pushing growing up, and food sneaking/semi-binging interspersed with strict dieting. But I have never had any body image issues beyond perceiving myself "fat" when I was just a little chubby and being in denial as I approached obesity for real.

So I think what it boils down to, is what your issues with food are, and your personality, and your schedule, and when it comes to whether to count calories or not - how you approach it.

That's one of the best posts I've read on this forum for a very long time.

You should save that text and reuse it for similar questions when they come up. Realistic, simple and valuable advice.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Calories are king yes, but food choices may help you hit your goals. Lean meats, veggies, most fruit, tend to be less energy dense. High fat, high sugar, hyperpalitable foods tend to be energy dense. We tend to over eat on hyperpalitable energy dense food. They tend to lack protein and fiber. Protein fills most people up, carbs can be satisfying, fats alow digestion. Carbs are not the devil, fat is not evil. I use this example. A serving of Oreos has about 210 cals. High sugar and fat. Basically no fiber or protein. Nothing wrong with Oreos btw, before I get woo's for food fear mongering. They weigh what maybe 90 grams max? Look at sweet potatoes or chicken breast. 25 cals an oz for raw chicken breast, 180hram sweet potato 130 cals? What's going to fill you up. Just my 2 cents. Btw Oreos soooooo good :smiley:

In Canada a 2-cookie serving of Oreos is only 110. Just saying.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Calories are king yes, but food choices may help you hit your goals. Lean meats, veggies, most fruit, tend to be less energy dense. High fat, high sugar, hyperpalitable foods tend to be energy dense. We tend to over eat on hyperpalitable energy dense food. They tend to lack protein and fiber. Protein fills most people up, carbs can be satisfying, fats alow digestion. Carbs are not the devil, fat is not evil. I use this example. A serving of Oreos has about 210 cals. High sugar and fat. Basically no fiber or protein. Nothing wrong with Oreos btw, before I get woo's for food fear mongering. They weigh what maybe 90 grams max? Look at sweet potatoes or chicken breast. 25 cals an oz for raw chicken breast, 180hram sweet potato 130 cals? What's going to fill you up. Just my 2 cents. Btw Oreos soooooo good :smiley:

I'm moving to Canada! Aye? Lol
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well, I went from 173 to 140 pounds in about 5 to 6 months (I should have lost more slowly, though - I think a half pound to 1 pound a week instead of losing 2 per week is a much better choice). For me, I ate scrambled eggs (74 calories each) for the protein energy, apples with cheese, veggies and fruits. And a treat almost every day. Just log in a cookie at the beginning of your day and eat it if you still can stay within your calorie goal. It does matter what you eat to the extent that you will feel better. When I ate potato chips instead of half an avocado, I felt a little lethargic or just didn't enjoy all the salt. So don't deprive yourself of all the things you enjoy, make it fun every day and you'll have an easier time of it.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

I'm a makin' a run for the border, right now!

• Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Has been covered in previous responses so I'll just give my anecdotal opinion.

Lost over 60 lbs (290-230) while drinking beer, eating wings, having bbq's at the pool, taking shots, drunk eating entire pizzas on "cheat days". These cheat days are almost entirely earned by doing heavy cardio that day if not banked throughout the week.

Rest of the week is far more calorie controlled, but the the foods are still whatever I want as long as they are in budget.

TLDR: You can eat and drink whatever you want and still lose weight if you are consuming at a deficit. "Healthy" foods contribute to your improved health, not your lower weight.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    For weight loss calories are the most important. Food choices will help you to stay satisfied which will help with adherence. I never cut out sugars or fast food or processed foods, etc because that just wouldn't work with my life. I don't like the idea of cheat days or meals because for me if a way of eating isn't something I can stick to long term then eventually I will go back to "enjoying the foods I used to eat" and that is when people regain weight. I eat the foods I enjoy in portion sizes that fit my calorie goal.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Calories are definitely king - I got fat while eating very "healthy." Problem was, my activity took a serious dive, and my appetite didn't, and I kept eating the same amount of food without the burn I had previously had. Took several years, but in the end I got fat.

Unless my activity goes up to match my appetite, finding alternative means of staying below what I need to maintain is required (such as counting calories).
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I keep an eye on my saturated fat, carb and sugar intake, and my portion sizes, and I have a scoop or two of ice cream pretty much every week. It usually fits into my calories. My food choices do matter to me, but what matters more is my attitude to food. if I'm telling myself I can't have what I want, I won't be able to choose to eat healthier because I will just spend my days craving the stuff I'm restricting and end up gorging on them, undoing all my good work. A balanced diet includes the calorie dense things you like, just in moderation. And if those things are within your calorie totals, there's no reason to avoid them.
  • quinnheaven703
    quinnheaven703 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me, I am mindful of what I am eating, but more so about calories. For example, I don't track macros of what I am eating, but I am mindful of trying to balance fat, protein, and carbs. I track calories to lose.