KETO DIET

have any of you guys did the keto diet? where you eat really low carbs and eat high proteins and fats? if so how many carbs are you guys eating daily and how long did it take for you to see results

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    ive just started myself so I dont have a lot to add but there is a Keto group here that has a lot of experienced people who can probably answer questions.

For carbs - generally iys somewhere between 20-25 g of net carbs (carbs minus fibre). The macro % recommended is 5% carbs, 70% fat, 25% protein I believe but a number of people on the board have recommended slightly higher protein and slightly lower fat. I guess you have to see what works for you .

A calulator like this can help. https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    Or just adjust your macro % in your goal section and it will calculate for you. Just remember that the 5% carbs is the total carbs minus thr fibre. MFP doesnt display net carbs so you have to calculate it yourself.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    What sort of results are you wanting to see? The reason you're eating that way will determine what your expectations are - how effective it is at doing what you want it to do will determine its success
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I've done it a few years to improve my health issues. I find weight management quite easy when my carbs are less than 20 g a day - my appetite and cravings decrease so skipping sweet things gets much easier. I lose 5 lbs a month with relative ease at that level. YMMV I lost 30 lbs in 4 months and then the last 10lbs in 2 or 3 months.

I try to keep protein over 70g and closer to 100g (20-25% in my case).
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Give it a go for a month.

I've been doing it for 4 months now. Have lost around 23lbs and feel great. It's not a diet that some people can hang with if you're super strict with it. But there are keto 'hack' foods if your body is ok with artificial sweeteners.
    Making keto cake and other low carb sweets helped me tremendously to sticking to this way of eating. I would make multiple things every week when I first started b/c I was just needing something sweet and familiar. Now.. maybe something every few weeks.

Anyway... I probably don't get more than 15g of net carbs per day... sometimes a little more sometimes a little less, just depending on the veggies I'm eating that day.
    As I said, I've lost 23lbs, but I still have a lot more to lose so haven't seen too much change in my super flubby areas ;) lol I don't let that bother me too much though (or at least I try not to) b/c I know I'm in this for the long haul and will see the results I want eventually.
    Take before pictures and take your measurements! The scale may not move, but your body could still be losing inches all over. I'd recommend that for any kind of diet you're on.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    I’ve been doing keto for almost six weeks, and I’m about 19lbs down. I’m not strict keto; my net carbs can range anywhere from low 20s to upper 40s, depending on the day, but I feel this WOE is quite sustainable for me. I’ve battled with my appetite, binge eating and sugar addiction (yes, hangry haters, it IS a thing!) my entire life, and this is the first time I am in control. I’m not a slave to my appetite- it’s the combination of low carb and higher fat intake; I’ve monkeyed around with it a bit, and found when I lower my fat intake, I get those cravings, even though I haven’t had bread, cookies, candy, etc... in nearly 6 weeks. The fat provides the saiety I need to not be hungry. It’s awesome. My clothes feel better on me, too, and things in my closet that I haven’t been comfortable wearing are starting to look good again 😊. Oh, and inflammation- gone! But the biggest thing, really, is the freedom from cravings, from insatiable hunger. That alone makes this way of eating worth it, for me.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Ive been doing the "lazy" keto.
    I dont have a lot of weight to lose 15-25 lbs.. 30 at very most...
    It has helped so much with my stomach pain and bloating.
    I find it fairly easy to stick to I do have "cheat days" or go over the carbs but I'm not looking to lose a lot of weight it more so help with my stomach and I feel healthier.
    As for weight I'm not sure at this moment how much Ive lost
  • TeraMB
    TeraMB Posts: 25 Member
    Ive been doing the "lazy" keto.
    I dont have a lot of weight to lose 15-25 lbs.. 30 at very most...
    It has helped so much with my stomach pain and bloating.
    I find it fairly easy to stick to I do have "cheat days" or go over the carbs but I'm not looking to lose a lot of weight it more so help with my stomach and I feel healthier.
    As for weight I'm not sure at this moment how much Ive lost

Any meal or snack ideas?