I just want some candy...

I need some sour patch kids in my life. I bought a bag... as long as I track the calories and stay at a deficit, I can have them. Right?

I'm a low carber gone calorie counter. I was successful doing low carbs but definitely find it sometimes too restrictive. I am still mindful of carb content and do try to eat naturally low carb foods. But sometimes a girl needs some sugar! So the idea of allowing myself some candy and not feeling guilty about the carb content is hard to wrap my head around sometimes.

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Eat that candy! The important thing is that you make sustainable choices. As long as it fits your calories, go for it!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I need some sour patch kids in my life. I bought a bag... as long as I track the calories and stay at a deficit, I can have them. Right?

Yes.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Most of the people who are here with long term success include some higher calorie/lower nutrient foods, not only in maintenance, but also used their weight loss time period to learn how to do this and still have success.

TL;DR: Track the calories, enjoy the sour patch kids.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I agree with previous posters, eat some candy, just make sure to log it and adjust accordingly. I always work a sweet treat into my calorie goals, no matter if I'm trying to lose or maintain.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    If you log and eat it, you enjoy it and you can stop thinking about it. If you don't eat it, you potentially obsess over not having it and can end up binging on it.

I would love to say that I am lower carb, and initially I was. I had to get past my own Iverson with empty carbs. I am for lower carbs but also try to eat seasonally which means a lot of fruit right now. Since I know that carbs can be good for me in moderation, I don't exclude them, but I try and pair it with something that will keep me satisfied so my brain starts to make the connection of filling and satisfying. I will do melon or blueberries with cottage cheese. I've been craving bagels so I get bagel thins (satisfies the craving without going overboard) and pair it with cream cheese and turkey or salmon. A bagel thin sandwich with a small salad that hayd full fat Italian dressing is actually a yummy lunch.

Point being, everyone is different, do what works for you, but also remember that food isn't evil so don't beat yourself up over it.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Absolutely!

As long as you're in a calorie deficit, treats in moderation are just fine and won't do anything to slow weight loss.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    Not only can you eat that candy and still lose weight, you can even use that candy to fuel a workout. Rather than a banana or whatever else you might eat for an energy boost, have a few of those Sour Patch candies!