Replies

• slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just fit it into your allotted calories
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I quit diet soda yeeeeears ago cold turkey. I just started drinking iced tea and then plain water instead.

I've recently started drinking diet coke again tho.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I never drank much soda and just started drinking just water and unsweetend teas. I like drinking water or teas so it is not particularly difficult.

Why are you totally giving up soda? Is it necessary? Can you just reduce the amount or switch to diet soda?
    If it your tool for dealing with stress you will have to figure out a different stress reliever.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    When I realized how many calories it had, honestly it was pretty easy. The main thing I wanted was caffeine, which I could get elsewhere.
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I switched to a zero calorie carbonated drink called Sparkling Ice. It tastes great and fruity, has the carbonation I love. I can't stand the taste of La croix, so this does it for me. I can get them for like$1 a bottle, sometimes lower on sale. there's 2 servings per bottle, so I just refrigerate whatever is left for the next day or next meal if I don't want water with it. I allow myself 1 soda on the weekend. There are certain foods I just like it with, or if we eat out. It's my little cheat for the week.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Just stopped drinking sodas "cold turkey" about 2.5 yrs ago. It wasn't an addiction, just a bad habit.

Did it once b4 about 5 yrs go, but relapsed. My resolve now is better than it was b4.
  • Golferdrone
    Golferdrone Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Quit and started counting days and went cold turkey. I went to all water or water with lemon. Would ask myself if it was worth starting over. Everyone has their don't event think about it items (have not had success on doing this with sweets) Nothing is a magic bullet to amazing success, just determination towards your goals.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Like most here, I moved onto diet soda.
  • kg000
    kg000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I drink Spark instead. Find a drink that works for you, I want the caffeine and vitamins so I use Spark.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I just quit cold turkey. I started drinking carbonated water.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I didn't (and never will) quit soda. I switched to diet soda many years ago, and drink it in moderation. I also drink a lot of water, coffee, skim milk and iced tea.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I went to Australia.

No, really. I visited Australia years ago and (while having a great time in a wonderful place) really enjoyed the Aussie style of flavored fizzy waters that were only about half as sweet as the US soda brands I'd been used to. Then when I got back home, all the sodas seemed way too heavy and syrupy. Given that and their relative high price and high calories, sodas just didn't seem worth it; and I just started drinking ice water most of the time.

(n.b. There's nothing wrong with my tap water, and it tastes okay. But there's a place near my house that dispenses purified water for $0.33/gallon, and I find I like the taste much better. If you don't like the idea of drinking water, or you don't like the taste of the water you're drinking, it could be worth looking around for a different drinking water source.)

I also really like coffee drinks, so they have taken over some of my (often) high-cost, (frequently) high-calorie, (pre-4 pm) caffeinated beverage needs.

I also like iced tea and lemonade. On hot days, I like to mix fruit juice half-&-half with selzer or club soda for a fizzy hydration drink. And I do still drink the occasional soda - my Mom and I have a running joke/deal where I work on her lawn and garden for a few hours and she "pays" me with a can of root beer. B)
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I started drinking those crystal lite flavor packets in bottled water. That got me off of soda for a while. I also drank sparkling waters too. I try not to drink any soda too frequently (moderation and all). But when I do I prefer to drink diet anymore, (zero calories), and the taste doesn't bother me. I'll drink regular if it's something I like and cant get diet, or if diet is unavailable. Often, when I want something fizzy I'll reach for a seltzer water like Lacroix, Perrier, or Arrow head. I just love the taste of those, and they are just water and flavoring.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    OP: When I started craving it, I quit drinking it. But that was sugar-filled Coca-Cola, Pepsi, etc. I never liked the diet stuff so... I occasionally drink mineral water and have no craving. If I were you I might try going cold-turkey for three weeks or so to see if that helps.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Coke No Sugar, omg tastes EXACTLY like full sugar coke. They're fazing out Coke Zero here in NZ and replacing it with Coke No Sugar.
  • gstaubs1
    gstaubs1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I started drinking Pure Leaf unsweetened black tea. Found I really like it and 0 cal, 0 carb, 0 sugar...Haven't had a cola in months and I used to drink like a 2 liter of Mountain Dew a day...
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just quit cold turkey. I started drinking carbonated water.

My wife has issues with artificial sweetners (GI doesn't tolerate them well) and went off all of those diet packets and such we had so many of and now gets the carbonated water with no sweetners in it. I have tried, I really have, but I just can't do them. It is like sushi for me. Even if I like the ingredients I just can't do it because of the vinegar in the rice. :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I didn't quit. I have diet Coke with lemon when I am out and I have an occasional Coke Life at home.