Drinking wine while losing weight...

Options
Normally I don’t drink much wine when I’m actively trying to lose weight... a summer home with my two little ones and I’ve been having more wine than usual, which is derailing my efforts. Wine lovers- how do you balance out having a little wine with losing weight? I hate to drink my calories honestly, but it’s a bummer to think of not having any wine....

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I measure it accurately and stay within my calorie goal. It's just like any other food.

(If you have trouble sticking to what you planned to drink or if drinking wine makes you eat more food than you otherwise would, that has to be addressed in order for it to work).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    Another vote for spritzers. I found that I could do 3oz wine/6oz sparkling water X 2, optionally with a citrus wedge, for around 150 calories, and be pretty happy vs. a couple of glasses of wine. White wine is fine, but a fruitier red is also good and a little more flavorful (one like you'd use in sangria, such as garnacha or tempranillo, or even a bottled sangria if there's one you like that's not excessively sugared thus more caloric).

Depending on what you're enjoying about the wine, an ounce of a flavored but not sweetened vodka in sparkling water with citrus or herbs might also be an option, for around 70 calories.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Before I got pregnant, I would drink wine most weekends. I was losing about 3-4 lbs per month.
    I always worked out hard on Friday and Saturday mornings and used my extra calories for the wine. But I didn’t snack while drinking, cuz that would have wiped out my deficit.
    Just count the cals towards your daily total. I valued the wine more than a sweet treat or munchies after the kids went to bed.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    At the beginning of the day, I do a “quick add” for dinner. I estimate how many calories I will eat for dinner, including wine. If I know exactly what I’ll be eating and what kind of wine I’ll be drinking, I go ahead and enter it. So basically, I just plan the wine calories into the day.

I’ve also found that sometimes I’m happy with a small amount— sometimes just 2 oz is all I need.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I found that spritzer didn't work for me. Just made the wine taste sour.

I was soooo disappointed. I thought I had devised a lovely, tasty, low cal, way of gluggling the wine.

I half fill my glass with ice cubes to make my wine last longer. The slow melt doesn't affect how I taste the wine.
    I also have a small carafe that I put my wine for the evening, helps me put a cap on my intake. I have been known to go over that on occasion though.

It a gardening day at 33 centigrade, guess what is sat on the table B)

I would have been miserable if I had given up drinking while I lost weight.

Drink your wine, just make sure you are fulfilling your nutritional goals, and are at a calorie goal you can live with.

Cheers, h.
  • lizchristine
    lizchristine Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I’ve got the same issue. I going to try to only drink on weekend. I’m also going to try having a lower calorie drink instead of wine (like a vodka soda or rum & seltzer). I find that one glass of wine on the weekends sometimes turns into two or three which is a lot of calories.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Five ounces of merlot is 140 calories. Add that to your regular logging and see whether you can drink it and still stay within your calorie goal to maintain a calorie deficit. If so, enjoy that glass of yummy goodness!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,990 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I don't just drink any old plonk - I find something good and sip it slowly so I can really taste all its flavors. That way I'm not glugging down higher amounts. Got a bottle of a Grenache/Syrah/Merlot blend waiting in the kitchen.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Depending on what you're enjoying about the wine, an ounce of a flavored but not sweetened vodka in sparkling water with citrus or herbs might also be an option, for around 70 calories.

Vodka, lime juice, and some muddled basil or rosemary or thyme or sage FTW! (although I do need a teaspoon of simple syrup in it).

• YoYodejavu
    YoYodejavu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love my wine, so I will run/bike or be really strict with my eating so I can stay within my alotted calories. Sadly some evenings I just have to say no.
  • mkl2021
    mkl2021 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use some very pretty old fashioned 4oz glasses and when I have people over I pour them a full glass and I pour myself 2oz... I can go all night, enjoy tasting all the different wines, and still stay under one serving. And these aren't wine tips but for general party tips... in the summer I make spritzers with red vermouth, soda and lime... each one has about 2oz of wine and I can enjoy three over the evening. Sometimes I'll alternate a glass of wine with a glass of fancy seltzer (the Spindrift line that Costco started carrying is great) or a glass of seltzer topped with kombucha- still has a nice fizzy cocktaily hit.
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I bank a little bit so I can have a couple beers on Friday and/or Saturday.
    I used to unwind with a beer after a stressful workday. Problem is, work is always stressful and it is hard to lose weight drinking 1-2 craft brews every day. I am trying to use exercise as my stress relief after work instead!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I exercise. The extra calories I earn go towards little treats... ;) As long as it stays within my calorie goals, it's all good.