So... fats.

I know we must get a certain amount of fats in our diet. I have always been told to avoid saturated and trans fat and to get more unsaturated (mono and poly). I look at my nutrients for the day, and i have a set goal to reach on saturated fats and my goal for mono- and poly- unsaturated fats is 0. Any insight?

Replies

• brandy_losinit
    brandy_losinit Posts: 21 Member
    *my daily goal for sat fat is 10, i think.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Mono and polyunsaturated fats aren't listed on nutrition panels, that's why it shows as 0.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Nothing wrong with saturated fats
  • brandy_losinit
    brandy_losinit Posts: 21 Member
    No, nothing wrong with saturated fats in moderation. I just meant that poly and mono unsaturated fats are good for you, so i didn't understand the goal of 0 on those.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I personally just change my goals to 20 grams of each just so they are not in the red. In saying that I eat more than that of each but, because they are not included on nutrition labels of foods, they are not added to the database much of the time.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Nothing wrong with saturated fats

Exactly. One of the best things you can do to understand how we have been lied to and given misinformation over the years about saturated fat and heart disease is to listen to or read "The Big Fat Surprise - Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong In A Healthy Diet" by Nina Teicholz.