ORANGE THEORY🍊💪🏼

Options
13»

Replies

• fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I have my first OT session this evening! I'm equal parts excited and nervous. Mostly I am worried that I will be a sweaty disgusting mess (I am one of the lucky ones who has lots of face sweat. . . ) because my cardio is poor. But overall, I am looking forward to trying something new.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »
    I have my first OT session this evening! I'm equal parts excited and nervous. Mostly I am worried that I will be a sweaty disgusting mess (I am one of the lucky ones who has lots of face sweat. . . ) because my cardio is poor. But overall, I am looking forward to trying something new.

How did it go?
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Oh man, and last night was partner workouts with all those pulsing half squats.
  • amyepdx
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

Oh man, and last night was partner workouts with all those pulsing half squats.

I did enjoy partner night but I did slack on the squats. The rowing was great though. I’m just getting up and it’s my first day feeling sore either from back to back days or working harder since I’m getting more into it.
  • StevenK711
    StevenK711 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looks like the nearest one to me is a 10 hour drive across 3 countries, with an international toll bridge and a ferry crossing. I guess I'll skip it :D

You should try and secure the franchise rights in Stockholm. The business model here is crushing it!
  • jyarring
    jyarring Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love Orange Theory and have been going regularly for 4 years now -- I love how the workouts challenge me as I would never work out to that level by myself in a gym. I also like how each workout is different. I will be 50 in November and I like how this workout keeps my muscles tone and keeps my cardio up! Some days when I'm not feeling it - I feel like I still get a good workout with power walking on the treadmill.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    . I saw horrid form in the classes. I was told my rowing form was off (I didn't tell the instructor that I'm a competive indoor rower). Her form was atrocious on the rower. I saw very unsafe things on the weights. I was so concerned for one woman that I helped her with form on lateral raises. Her elbows were flapping like she was doing a chicken dance. I couldn't watch her destroy her elbows.

It was a fun one day thing for me. Certainly not a huge fan. Way too much running for me. We spent like 10 minutes or less on the rower. That's not even a warmup on the rower.

Science aside (and funny how after spending time in these forums i've come to question the entire premise more and more) - this is where I failed and injred myself. I am STUPID stupid when it comes to form. I try to remember but I still mess up. Initially I had who I feel was a good coach and took more time with me. But he left the gym. The next trainers were not helpful.

I don't want to put all the blame on the OTF, and obviously I am to blame for bad form at the end of the day, but I still believe much of my neck/elbow injuries started there.

From there I found the classes got annoying after time. I don't want to do 100 squats - i'm not quite there yet. And after 40 reps of one muscle group i need to move out to another one please.

But I was the opposite, I love the treadmill and always wanted more And more than 10min of rowing for a beginner (especially with bad form) isn't good either! But by the end I was barely able to get over 10 splat points, my legs coudn't keep up the speed needed and I could never keep my heart rate up on the floor.
  • FireOpalCO
    Options
    @MikePfirrman When did you go visit? They recently rolled out an updated formula for the heart rate calculation (in the last month or so). From what I'm seeing on Reddit it brought it more in line with what people were seeing on their Garmins and other devices.

Coaches ability will vary location to location, which is true of all franchises. At my location the coaches are great about demonstrating slowly, making sure we know the count/speed, and correcting form. Go too fast and you might find burpees or holding a plank added to the end of your exercises.

For the routine, it changes with each session. So there are rowing heavy days. Most days are labeled either Power, Endurance, Strength, or ESP and even within those categories there is a lot of variation. There are also Benchmark days (some portion of the workout will be timed and recorded and months later when they do it again, you will be able to compare your results). Last month we had a 2,000 meter row benchmark.
  • amyepdx
    Options
    My first Infinity was last night - 32 points! Oh and I don’t do burpees - ever!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the reason behind the
    Orange? Why orange?

Marketing bollox
  • AngMosley
    AngMosley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do y'all plug in OTF as exercise?
  • amyepdx
    Options
    I just use my Fitbit reading. That way it’s an adjustment in top of my NEAT instead of the full calories calculated in their system.
  • scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This is helpful. There’s a new one opening in walking distance to me next month and now I have to check it out!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    AngMosley wrote: »
    How do y'all plug in OTF as exercise?

Your best bet is just to log it as Circuit Training - General. You can't really instrument it.
  • FireOpalCO
    Options
    I log it as Circuit Training and use the calories from the workout summary email. In the notes section I put the type of workout and the number of splat points. So for example it might say "Orangetheory, Tornado Day, 22 splat".
  • frizzipunk
    frizzipunk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’ve done ten classes and I’m coming from a sedentary job and barely exercising in the past seven years. For those of you who have taken over a dozen classes, do you still feel absolutely exhausted (good but beat) and need to take a nap a few hours after the class? I’ll go Saturday mornings and by mid afternoon I’m out cold for 2 hours. I can’t believe how whooped I am. Of course I’m also working REALLY HARD!