Moms, how/when do you fit in exercise?

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am and do about an hour of Turbo Fire DVDs in my basement. I want to start adding some heavier weights. Not sure how that's going to work.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I have a great mother-in-law who comes by every Monday and Wednesday so I can go to the gym and lift, my hubby is off on Fridays so he watches the boys while I go to the gym. Tuesday and Thursday I get up at 4am to run, and Saturday my husband watches the boys again so I can run. I also hula hoop while the kids nap, or in the evening when my husband has a show. Writing it down, it seems like a lot of trouble, but after 2 years, I've honed a schedule that works. I couldn't do it at all if I didn't have the help and support I do.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise on my breaks and lunches at work. Sometimes I'll take the kids for a walk to the park in the evenings and I wear my HRM the entire time so I know how many calories I actually burned. And sometimes, I just wait until the kids go to bed or until they take a nap (during the weekends when I'm home).
  • melicr
    melicr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of a 4 1/2 and a 7 week old baby and full time worker.. I work out at 8-9 pm. Good for me working out does not distrub my sleeping time... after working out I can go from the shower to bed and fall a slepp right on the spot :smile:
  • setzer2001
    Options
    I have a two year old who is very busy. I work full time too. The only time that really works for me to workout is 8pm. I try to do it 7 days a week but usually only end up doing 6 days. Thankfully hubby helps out with watching the little ones while I go workout.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great ideas, ladies!!!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning
    baby naps or plays in the exersaucer
    girls sometimes will workout with me or play in there rooms its an everyday thing
  • JS70
    JS70 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My kids are 10 and 12. We like to go for walks together and it's also fun to play wii together. We have zumba, biggest loser, dance party and other wii games that are great exercise!
  • JENIFER_AZ
    JENIFER_AZ Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    First thing in morning!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I did home DVDs (JM 30 day shred/Insanity/Ripped in 30 or whatever I can find on-demand) in the mornings or when I get home from work before dinner. To get in a habit I would bring my workout clothes with me to work and change before I leave so I made NO EXCUSES. I did this for a good 3 months and still work it into my routine when I can't get to the gym. I also had a treadmill at home to get in a convenient run after the kids went to bed.

My job has a gym so I started working out before I go home and commit to 2 mile jog/run a day. Since March our family joined a local gym that has kid care which has helped tremendously.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning before work. I get my daughter ready for daycare and my husband drops her off for me so I can have 30-40 minutes to exercise every week day. It's nice because I'm already up and I really don't want to do anything that early in the morning so it's easy to exercise. What else am I going to do?
  • kaylaCdewire1311
    Options
    I have a 7 month old daughter. I work full time... have a house to take care of, and not to mention a husband. I got lucky thought, my mother in law keeps my daughter while I work during the week, so on nights that my husband works late (which is alot) I just go for a quick run downtown where I work. We live out in the country, so on nights that I don't run or have time to go to the gym, after dinner, my husband and I will put the baby in the stroller and walk down the country roads. It's pretty nice, and you forget that you're exercising.. especially when it isn't to hot!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I also have a 2 year old and work full-time. I get up at 4:45am and do a workout video, either 30-Day Shred or 6-Week Six-Pack, which only takes around 30 minutes. I get it out of the way before my husband & daughter wake up. That gives me just enough time to get myself ready for work and get my daughter dressed and ready to roll by 6:30am. It's tough, but I manage.

I also like to play with her on the playground in the evenings after dinner. I get a little exercise, and it helps her sleep through the night. Bonus!

I don't even bother joining a gym. No way would I have the time!
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom. I get up for work at 5am and get home abou 5pm just in time to get dinner started so I don't have much time to squeeze exercise in. I have a treadmill but when my son goes to bed, the last thing I want to do is workout. Plus, the treadmill is so boring to me most of the times.

Just recently, I had a friend who is a Crossfit instructor put together a few workouts to do at home. I got an old tire from a local tire store (free), made a few very inexpensive contraptions and bought a heavier set of weights. I am lucky to live on a cul-de-sac and have a small park right by my house. I set up the equipment at the park and in the street. Several of us neighbors, men and women get together when we get home from work and spend 20-30 minutes doing a hard core circuit workout. The kids play at the park or at one of our homes and even sometimes do little mini workouts out there.

It really keeps the workout interesting and allows me to be with my son.
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    Options
    I'm a single mom of 2 kids and work full time. I get up at 4:30 am and do 45 to 60 minutes on the treamill 7 days a week and try to fit in other activities that help burn calories on the weekends. It's no picnic but I really wanna be healthy for me kids and in the past 3 months I've lost 19 pounds doing that and using MFP to help me on my eating routine. Hope that helps.
  • Mkrug221
    Mkrug221 Posts: 28
    Options
    I go to the gym 3 days a week. 2 of the days I can take my daughters with me and they go to the gym daycare. Then I go on Sunday mornings when my husband is home. I also work out 3 nights a week after they go to sleep. I either go walking (I was also doing C25K for a little bit). I do DVDs, or we have an elliptical and I go on that. My girls love going to the gym with me and I think it's good for them to see me putting an effort in to exercise.
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    I agree! My kids go along with me on my power walks and when my three year old just "cant take it" anymore, she gets a piggy back ride to add resistance to my walk. We also do the Just Dance games on the wii - there is a just sweat area that tracks your goals- I sweat, they dance, and we all are happy at the end of the day. I also have a fitness wii game that they will try to keep up with me and do.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    I usually do mine after my husband gets home, or after the kids go to sleep at night.
  • Kristy144
    Kristy144 Posts: 166
    Options
    I work out everyday, I include my kiddo.. we go for walks, do workout dvds (she dances) together and I lift weights and she "lifts" a one pound lol.. more like rolls it on the floor. Anyways, there are alot of ways to work out with kids!
  • ChanMay
    ChanMay Posts: 39
    Options
    I made an agreement with our kids (who are 6+8) For every month of no take out, we get a one month membership to a local indoor pool. The exercise is amazing and it is great family time as well :)
    I started out trying to do exercise videos .. on my own but I flt like I was taking too much time away from our family so I wanted something that could accomplish both things at once!