Your Experience With Compression Clothing During and After Workouts.

Options
2»

Replies

• Demander2015
    Demander2015 Posts: 31 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Just to be clear - are we talking about tight/form fitting clothes, or compression-specific clothes. Yes, there is a difference.

Thank you for understanding the difference. A lot of people are not clear on this. I am talking specifically of compression clothing.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Yeah, Training less than 5.5 hours doesn't mean much. Recreational runners still doesn't mean much. I have clearly specified that I have not found any studies that have considered a population with more than 5% body fat or dine studies in Normal people at different body fat levels and on women. So despite all your jibber jabber you have still not added anything to the conversation.
    Thanks for being civil? Again, i'm more than willing to bet that, save for the participants being male (which I agree with your frustrations about whole heartily for a whole host of reasons), the study that I quoted would have potentially met your requirements as it was made up of "normal people". Their training less than five and half hours a week is indicative of that. If that's "jibber jabber" that hasn't "added to the conversation" then that's firmly on you.

edited to clear up what could have been an amusing misunderstanding
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    compression shorts/leggings are the sports bra for people with testicles. other than that simply putting them on puts me in a certain mindset that sez time to work!

As far as medical grade, I haven't experienced an injury that required the use since I was in high school and back then we didn't have all this "new" material we had tape and ace bandage. So I can't comment on that aspect.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, here is my take and experience as an overweight female runner with approximately 30% bodyfat.

When I started running I ended up with an injury to my foot from overuse. I did too much too soon. I had seen compression sleeves, Tommie Copper brand, and thought the ankle sleeve might give me the support I needed without being so bulky I couldn't wear shoes. Didn't really believe all the hype about the compression being beneficial. But I felt better almost immediately, within the hour. My ankle healed completely within a few weeks.

When I started running outside, I developed shin splints. Treadmill running does not prepare you lol. After the ankle, I figured I would try the calf sleeves. I still wear them for races occasionally.

After trying out the sleeves for injuries, I figured I would try out tights. UA compression gear isn't cheap, but I'm my opinion well worth it. As you mentioned, there is less jiggle. I found that I was less conscious of little aches and pains (43 yr old knees and all) and more aware of how I was moving. I can't say that they make me perform better, I'm not suddenly faster. But I do walk less often and further into my run, which does improve my times somewhat. I also find that I don't hurt as much afterwards and find my recovery time is cut in half.