Gaining weight but dieting and exercising.

Options
Im guessing im gaining water weight? I recently started a nursing job, been on my feet 12hrs a day. Watching what i eat and i should be losing weight. Im assuming it is water weight. How can you tell if im gaining fat or water weight? Its been hard to stay on top of staying hydrated when im working in an understaffed nursing home. Can someone explain what might be going on?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, what kind of timeframe are we talking about? As in, over what period have you gained weight? Your weight fluctuates all the time, due to various reasons (hydration levels, hormone fluctuations, how much food is in your digestive tract, increased water in muscles when you've become more active/started lifting weights, etc.) Not all weight gain is fat gain.
  • rilieghm98
    rilieghm98 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    In the last week ive gain 4 lbs?? Eating 2,000 cals/day
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    If you are eating (accurately measured) at maintenance calories or below, you are not gaining fat. Emphasis on accurately measured.
  • rilieghm98
    Options
    I could have done it wrong. Im still new to this and trying to figure it out. About a month ago when i started using this. I was 177, i lost 2 lbs in 2.5 weeks, then in the last week im back up to 179. So idk what im doing wrong.
  • rilieghm98
    Options
    I dont usually tak in the full projected calories, sometimes it too much. I usually get in closer to 1,400.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Your menstrual cycle can temporarily mess with your scale weight, too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rilieghm98 wrote: »
    I could have done it wrong. Im still new to this and trying to figure it out. About a month ago when i started using this. I was 177, i lost 2 lbs in 2.5 weeks, then in the last week im back up to 179. So idk what im doing wrong.

2000 does sound high, but then you are active with your job? i would check your stats on MFP, set your deficit to 1lb per week, and maybe get a trending app to help you see past the fluctuations

TBH you dont have enough data to make an accurate assessment yet. are you due on your period?
  • rilieghm98
    Options
    Thats possible. I am supposed to start soon.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I dont usually tak in the full projected calories, sometimes it too much. I usually get in closer to 1,400.

Even 2000 calories isn't that much, so you might want to double check your logging, along with your settings. If you accidentally set goal to weight maintenance, that can explain the 2000 calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

If MFP has set you to 2000 cals for weight loss, you should be eating up to that amount.
    Your weight gain sounds like a fluctuation - I can fluctuate up and down 4lbs from day to day and thats even with being at goal weight.
  • rilieghm98
    Options
    Okay, i will check my settings too. Thank you for everyones insight!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? just to be sure you aren't underestimating the calories in bit.
  • rilieghm98
    Options
    Ive been measuring my food with measuing cups. I should get a food scale, maybe itll be more accurate