Smartwatch for weight training?

Options
Anyone use a smartwatch to control / log their training?
What watch / app works well?
I have an iPhone and am considering an Apple watch as my iPhone has narrowly escaped damage a couple of times in the gym, and I like gadgets :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you wont really get an accurate burn for strength training, you may as well just use MFP calories burnt.
  • tomjanecourtney
    tomjanecourtney Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Not bothered with calories burned, can guesstimate those.
    Want to log my custom session’s exercises, weights, reps, rest and monitor heart rate to ‘stay in the zone’
  • tomjanecourtney
    Options
    Gymaholic app looks good....
    Favourite so far.
    Could be my excuse to buy an Apple Watch 4 when it comes out next week :)
  • notarunnermfp
    notarunnermfp Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use one to time my rest periods if I need to keep moving.
    Other than that I find a pen and paper works much quicker than trying to get a watch to understand what the heck I'm doing, and it can get in the way.
    I don't really see much need to monitor heart rate zone for lifting either. My heart rate can get really high if I'm doing a tough set, and then it will drop during a long rest. Getting the work done and feeling recovered for the next set is more important to me than "staying in the HR zone". Just my thoughts.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Other than that I find a pen and paper works much quicker than trying to get a watch to understand what the heck I'm doing, and it can get in the way.
    I don't really see much need to monitor heart rate zone for lifting either. My heart rate can get really high if I'm doing a tough set, and then it will drop during a long rest. Getting the work done and feeling recovered for the next set is more important to me than "staying in the HR zone". Just my thoughts.

Exactly.

Also one can nocebo themselves quite easy with thwe type of things, it's been proven in studies.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

ditto. Use my garmin to time the total workout time and rest times between harder sets.
    ditto. pen/paper way quicker & less annoying to follow a plan & make notes.
    ditto. It's lifting, not a cardio training session.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    If you like gadgets, take a look at the Motiv ring. Pricey but very tech cool.

I was going to buy one but the app doesn't work w/my old Android and I'm not buying a new phone just to buy the ring (or anything else for that matter).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Fitnotes app allows some real customization for creating/logging/graphing progress of those lifts.
    No HR integration, so have to just view that.
  • eleftheria1971
    eleftheria1971 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use JEFIT (the free version) and I find it pretty good. You need to invest a bit of time creating your workout on it but afterwards it's straightforward to use. You can also enter measurements, progress photos etc
  • tomjanecourtney
    Options
    eleftheria1971
    Freedom?

How is JEFIT with an Apple Watch?
  • eleftheria1971
    eleftheria1971 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry, I misread, thought you were looking for an iPhone app!