Post VLCD

If someone is coming off of a self imposed VLCD, and they start eating at the recommended calorie level for weight loss by MFP, will they gain, lose less rapidly, or gain now that calories are increased?

Been on my mind. Several of my friends are trying some diet and I'm a holdout. I like food and my muscle tissue.

Replies

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Everyone I know who has lost weight quickly has also regained it quickly.

I figured that, but attributed it to the plan being unsustainable, resulting in binging
    The calorie change factor just dawned on me. Like as long as they're still in some sort of deficit they should still be losing, just less quickly.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Some fluctuations would probably occur on the outset, but when that slows down, they should lose at a regular rate, more slowly.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    Thanks for your answers. For one my brain has been allover the place with "what if..." thoughts, plus feeling like I keep needing to defend my reasons for not jumping on their band wagon.

Much appreciated.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    For clarification, are we talking very low calorie diets (the traditional use of VLCD) or very low carb diets?
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    psuLemon wrote: »
    For clarification, are we talking very low calorie diets (the traditional use of VLCD) or very low carb diets?

Very low calorie.
  • New_Heavens_Earth

Very low calorie.

I have yet to really see anyone sustain or transition well from a very low calorie diet. Plus if you look at some of the research on refeeds and diet breaks, you will see equal weight loss over a give period. There are a lot of adaptations when you diet, which will be augmented when going on a very low calorie diet; increase metabolic adaptations, muscle loss (which equals lower metabolic rate), leptin levels drop more (fat burning hormone), general reductions in non-exercise activity thermogenesis (people tend to move less with less calories), higher binge rates, etc..

There are exceptions to this rule, but generally it's advanced dieters who are following specific protocols that we don't discuss in this general forum.

ETA: most of us don't just want to lose weight, we won't to tone up a bit more and look lean. That is not going to happen on starvation diets.

Absolutely agree on the risk of muscle loss and negative adaptive changes. Those are the main reasons why I won't even try it!
    Plus like you said, I want to look lean, not diet down to a number and end up still fluffy looking.

Thanks for including the science behind why VLCDs aren't good.