I want to learn to be a runner!

Options
So I've always dreamed of being runner and love the results they get for weight loss. My problem is that when I try, my knees burn within 45 sec of starting. I've tried shortening my strides so I have less impact and also have tried intervals to work my way up. Does anyone think I should keep trying because my knees are just week? Or am I not destine to be the runner I wish I can be? Thoughts please........

Replies

• supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Start walking.
    Walk faster.
    Walk a little faster.
    And faster....
    Now you're jogging.

Take an aleve before to reduce inflammation and eat tomatoes afterward for the same reason, stretch all your leg muscles.

Repeat.

Now you're a runner/jogger!!
  • Pucker508
    Pucker508 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I share your dream! I've always felt like I can't be a runner, but at the beginning of this summer, I started the c25k plan as suggested by some other members on MFP. I'm only on week 3 (because I keep redoing the weeks) and have been taking it very slow.

As far as your knees go, the only thing I can think to suggest is to try jogging on relatively level surfaces, stretching well before and after, and only running for 30 second intervals until your body adjusts and can handle more. If all else fails, I would consider maybe seeing a doctor to check and see if there aren't any other issues with your knees.

Good luck!
  • mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    Options
    walking is the best exercise. Compared to running, you will burn the same amount of calories when you walk.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would say keep trying, try the c25k program. It starts you out slowly with a combination of running and walking and gradually you start to run more than you walk. I have a love/hate relationship with running, I hate it while I am doing it and when I am not, I can't wait to do it again! Just make sure you have good shoes, I would say that is the most important thing, besides music to listen to to keep your mind off of everything else!
  • emilykitchell
    Options
    Running is hard on my knees too. I just try to run at a slower and on softer sufaces like dirt, grass, or the sand on the beach (looks like you live near the the beach..so do I :-)). I also try to take vitamins for my joints. I have also heard that you can try to stregthen the back of your legs. I did this by walking backwarks uphill on the dreadmill. It also helps if you take breaks between running days, like run and then do yoga the next day and then run the next.

Let me know how if goes!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You could always get a little flexible knee brace, it might help, doctors reccomend it too especially if your knee bugs you, but definatley strech too. They don't cost much I saw them at the store not long ago.
  • toxicat
    toxicat Posts: 79
    Options
    So I've always dreamed of being runner and love the results they get for weight loss. My problem is that when I try, my knees burn within 45 sec of starting. I've tried shortening my strides so I have less impact and also have tried intervals to work my way up. Does anyone think I should keep trying because my knees are just week? Or am I not destine to be the runner I wish I can be? Thoughts please........

Make sure you definitely have the appropriate running shoe. Specialty shoe stores can offer you great advice. Check out this video I saw on Yahoo! News today- pretty interesting:

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/video-should-you-save-or-splurge-on-running-shoes-26288198
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Try to run on the front of your foot when you land, it will lessen the impact on your knees. It's ok to have your heel come down using this method, just don't put all your impact on the heel of the foot, by putting it on the ball of your foot, it will help act like a shock absorber but I will warn you that this method will work out your calves quite a bit, but it really saves your knees a ton.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Only run because you want to and because you love it. If you THINK you should run because you should for any other reason don't do it ;D

That said I decided I wanted to try it. So I downloaded the C25K app for my phone (couch to 5k). I started in June (date is in my siggie) and yesterday I finished Week 8 Day 2 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE running. I want to do it more, I want to do it faster, I want to do it longer.

GO GET FITTED FOR SHOES! Don't go to some random place, go to a running store where they evaluate your gait. This prevents injury.

Start slooowly, even with the C25k app, run slow, don't sprint, because you'll find later that you may not be able to maintain that speed. It's okay to be a slow runner. Speed WILL come, it just takes awhile, the endurance is first.

It's okay to repeat weeks on the C25k program, so don't feel bad if you need to.
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    What's your warm up like? What is your stretching like? Do you have too much bounce? Are you leaning too far forward while running? The best question....what kind of shoes do you have? I've found that if I (a) warm up and stretch sufficiently my run is a lot smoother; (b) take out some of that bounce there's not as much impact on my legs; (c) straighten up and don't lean too far forward I feel soooooooo much better; and (d) wear the proper shoes with the proper support everything is glittery and small cartoon animals sing as I go by. LOL

Also, try running on a softer surface. Sometimes concrete just isn't for every body. Tracks, grass, etc are great for lessening the impact on the legs. And ditto about the Aleve.
  • jkd1214
    jkd1214 Posts: 27
    Options
    Have you looked at the shoes you are wearing? I have had 2 knee surgeries and it wasn't until I put inserts in my shoes that I saw a HUGE difference with my knees. Find a running store that will put you in different types of sneakers and have you run in front of them so they can look at your stride and determine the best shoe for you. I'm now in sneaker I would have never guessed Id be wearing and I put Super Feet (green) in them.
  • ocrunner11
    ocrunner11 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and have your feet checked. A good pair of running shoes makes a world of difference. Do you experience the pain when you walk or any other exercise? Wishing you good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • killagb
    Options
    Only run because you want to and because you love it. If you THINK you should run because you should for any other reason don't do it ;D

That said I decided I wanted to try it. So I downloaded the C25K app for my phone (couch to 5k). I started in June (date is in my siggie) and yesterday I finished Week 8 Day 2 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE running. I want to do it more, I want to do it faster, I want to do it longer.

GO GET FITTED FOR SHOES! Don't go to some random place, go to a running store where they evaluate your gait. This prevents injury.

Start slooowly, even with the C25k app, run slow, don't sprint, because you'll find later that you may not be able to maintain that speed. It's okay to be a slow runner. Speed WILL come, it just takes awhile, the endurance is first.

It's okay to repeat weeks on the C25k program, so don't feel bad if you need to.

Nice! I just started week 3 last night, those 3 minute intervals were definitely taxing, but I'm sure it will be easier on # 2 and 3 for the week. Congrats on week 8, those weeks are pretty intense!
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Start walking.
    Walk faster.
    Walk a little faster.
    And faster....
    Now you're jogging.

Take an aleve before to reduce inflammation and eat tomatoes afterward for the same reason, stretch all your leg muscles.

Repeat.

Now you're a runner/jogger!!

Do not eat tomatoes to ease inflammation!! They can actually make it worse, as they are one of the nightshade family of plants, which includes potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant.

To the OP: I suffer from rheumatoid arthrits and started slow, with walking a few times a week. You want to strengthen your knees before you start running a lot. Good luck!
  • JenGilronan
    JenGilronan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used RunnersWorld.com. You can read forums, ask questions, find info...
    I am a Phsyical Therapy Assistant and I have a "bad" knee and "bad" hip ---Yup, I was weak, but have improved. Make sure you are performing ankle, knee, and hip strengthening AND stability exercises. Do a good warm-up, cool-down, and ice. And, make sure you have the proper shoes for your foot anatomy and your gait pattern.
  • killagb
    Options
    I would add that it's more important to stretch after you run than it is before you run, but doing both is optimal. For relief afterwards I suggest some lean protein to help your muscles recover.
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone! Im going to look into finding a specialty shoe store and download the C25k app.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Nice! I just started week 3 last night, those 3 minute intervals were definitely taxing, but I'm sure it will be easier on # 2 and 3 for the week. Congrats on week 8, those weeks are pretty intense!

Thanks! That first 25 min run day was KILLER. I actually never completed it before moving on, I always walked for at least 2 min in the middle somewhere. I just decided to move on and see how it went. Turns out it's the change I needed, by the time I got to the next "long" run I did it ALL!

I also couldn't run when I first started here, the weight was just too much on my knees, so I revisited the idea after I'd walked (and ellpiticaled) off many pounds.
  • JenGilronan
    JenGilronan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So by specialty shoe store were not talking about foot locker or anything right? I live in WI near Milwaukee, what type of store should I be looking for?