Stupid is as Stupid Does

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
My wife works Finance for City we live in. Came home and told me this story. Guy didn't pay his water bill. 6 weeks go by and City goes out and shuts his water off at the street. Next day the homeowner goes out to the street and turns it back on. The following day the City goes out and shuts his water off and padlocks his meter. The next day the homeowner goes out with a pair of bolt cutters and cuts the lock and turns his water back on. The next day the City goes out and disconnects the meter and the water from the guys house.

Now, the homeowner will not get his water meter re attached and the water turned back on until he pays for a new meter and pays his water bill. $1800 for the meter reattachment. Plus about $80 for the past due bill.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Yikes! If he was six weeks behind to begin with it's highly unlikely the new charges will be paid.

Not to judge because we never know the circumstances of others but had he put as much effort into paying the past due bill as he did illegally turning it back on it may have served him better.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I came for the shrimp

gy2cax2gc8xl.png
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    yeah wouldn't be surprised if next thing he does is crack the water line directly just to be spiteful.
    same thing as when folks dump concrete mix down the toilet of the house when they get evicted.

if he's already in enough debt at this point due to not paying, and now the fines on top of it, i doubt he's gonna worry too much about a few thousands bucks more.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    j1gqj2s6ofxy.png

I'm here for the Forrest Gump thread.....I brought some chocolates....

hiii.gif
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not enough info for harsh judgement. Yes, I realize the owner should have contacted the city with explanation and see if an agreement could be made. Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances. Was this person previously in good standing? Had this person lost their job, and couldn't pay until they get a new job? Could the city have inquired as to why this person was doing this? Had they warned the owner of these consequences beforehand?

Water isn't something I'd think people in good financial state would steal (usually), but it is a requirement for life and living in modern society. I'm not saying the city was wrong in removing services they hadn't paid for, but breaking an $1800 meter just to keep the owner from drinking water, washing his clothes and dishes, and bathing, was over the top. What if kids are involved? This is a potential health issue, and could also open the city to a big lawsuit.