Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ensure shake

94w8la66hohp.jpeg
Any help would be appreciated; I know nothing about protein shakes
Is ensure good while I am doing diet

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    What are you wanting from it?
  • nonecandi2013
    nonecandi2013 Posts: 2 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I want vitamins but I don’t want to gain weight
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited September 2018
    I wouldn’t consider them useful unless I was trying to gain weight and looking for some quick calories that wouldn’t be very filling.

9 grams of protein is pretty low, and you could get a (comparatively) lot of food for 235 calories. Personally, I don’t find shakes filling at all, I’d be just as hungry after drinking that as I was before.

The protein shakes I usually drink are close to 50g of protein for 250 calories.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member

I want vitamins but I don’t want to gain weight

If you want vitamins, why not supplement with a multivitamin?

Or eat vegetables, fruit, grains, eggs, chicken, etc.?
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    I agree with all above...but above all 'Ensure' tastes terrible!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Ensure is given to people to gain weight.

It's not a protein shake.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I thought ensure was for people who need to gain weight? Look at premier protein, which is a protein shake that comes in a little carton like that if that's what you're looking for.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Ensure is given to people to gain weight.

It's not a protein shake.

absolutely...they use it in some eating disorder hospitals given to patients who refuse/can not eat their full meals. The patients can barely choke it down
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Not jist eating disorder but basically any underweight patient. I actually do not mind ensure. My favourote is orange cream. I drink them because I don't tolerate much solid food.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Cinner29 wrote: »
    Add me to the "Ensure tastes terrible" club. I used to work in wildlife rehab, and we used Ensure as the base for making slurries to tube-feed to seals and waterfowl (the vanilla one, not the chocolate one :)) We added fish, then blended the heck out of it. I can no longer think of it as vanilla Ensure; to me it will always be fish Ensure, and that's more than enough to put me off. It'd be like eating Alpo, I just couldn't do it.

@Cinner29 , thanks for helping save the animals. You're good people.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    Add me to the "Ensure tastes terrible" club. I used to work in wildlife rehab, and we used Ensure as the base for making slurries to tube-feed to seals and waterfowl (the vanilla one, not the chocolate one :)) We added fish, then blended the heck out of it. I can no longer think of it as vanilla Ensure; to me it will always be fish Ensure, and that's more than enough to put me off. It'd be like eating Alpo, I just couldn't do it.

Except for the fish they blended up. :o
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member

That is what seals and waterfowl eat?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member

That is what seals and waterfowl eat?

I know, I was just being a smartypants.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I always thought Ensure was for adults what Pediasure is for kids, something to help underweight gain quickly. Good if you can't eat solid food for some reason (dental surgery or something) but otherwise not a good idea just for protein supplementation.

I just mix protein powder with cashew milk, it's fabulous. Take a multi with it. Protein shake with vitamins!
    Use cow milk if you are not looking for lower calories or have no issues with lactose, has it's own protein and is good for you and what not.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    OP, what kind of diet are you on that you are concerned about not getting enough nutrition?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I always thought Ensure was for adults what Pediasure is for kids, something to help underweight gain quickly. Good if you can't eat solid food for some reason (dental surgery or something) but otherwise not a good idea just for protein supplementation.

I just mix protein powder with cashew milk, it's fabulous. Take a multi with it. Protein shake with vitamins!
    Use cow milk if you are not looking for lower calories or have no issues with lactose, has it's own protein and is good for you and what not.

A bottle is 235 calories so you have to drink an awful lot to "gain weight quickly"