Anyone take St Johns Wort?

Options

Replies

• Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Examine.com has a write up on it. The headline...
    Hypericum Perforatum (St. John's Wort) is an anti-depressant herb that is commonly used for its neurological effects. While it appears effective, it is well known to adversely interact with a variety of pharmaceuticals.

Lots more here: https://examine.com/supplements/hypericum-perforatum/
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Other than hypomania (which is common if you have bipopar 2 and take an AD without a mood stabilizer) I have never really had any negative side effects with most ADs (I have tried quite a few)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I can raise the flag for the use of vit D. I don't have links at my finger tips to support the increasing understanding of its role in our health, now being thought to function more as a mineral than a vitamin. Here in the UK it is suggested we should take year round vit D because our position on the globe and we don't all spend enough time outside.

All the very best.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    My husband had extreme effects to SSRIs and cycled through several before being diagnosed as bipolar 2. Once he got on meds for that, no issues. Sometimes reactions to medications means the diagnosis is wrong.

*not saying this is the case here...just some food for thought.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Other than hypomania (which is common if you have bipopar 2 and take an AD without a mood stabilizer) I have never really had any negative side effects with most ADs (I have tried quite a few)

Mood stabilizer (lamictal in my case) doesn't stop the ADs from triggering me. I was able to titrate wellbutrin to a level where it didn't do that but then it wasn't effective. Increasing the lamictal helped though. The depression sied of BP2 really sucks but for some reason they are a lot better at treating the euphoria.
  • singingflutelady
    edited September 2018
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    My husband had extreme effects to SSRIs and cycled through several before being diagnosed as bipolar 2. Once he got on meds for that, no issues. Sometimes reactions to medications means the diagnosis is wrong.

That's how I got my bipolar 2 diagnosis. I would become hypomanic. It took many years to figure it out. I was told I was too "happy" to be depressed. Crazy as hypomania in response to antidepressants is a major sign of Bipolar 2.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Mood stabilizer (lamictal in my case) doesn't stop the ADs from triggering me. I was able to titrate wellbutrin to a level where it didn't do that but then it wasn't effective. Increasing the lamictal helped though. The depression sied of BP2 really sucks but for some reason they are a lot better at treating the euphoria.

My current Dr (not a psych) refuses to give me a mood stabilizer at all unfortunately. I've tried so many ADs but the only time they don't cause hm is when the dose is so low it doesn't help. I was on an AD specifically for weight gain, appetite and nausea control (Mirtazipine) and it worked well for that but I couldn't handle the hm. I really wanted to stay on it so I started taling heavy duty sleeping pills to counteract the 1 hour of sleep a night I was getting but eventually has to go off of it. There's only 1 thing that helps my mood without hm but I'm not allowed to mention that here lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    You may find a D3 supplement to be better mood support than St. John's Wort...particularly since you live where there is not a lot of sunshine, and you are probably low if you don't already supplement.

yeah I was going to tell op to have her vitamin D checked as that can make you feel like she is
  • Marjayhan
    Marjayhan Posts: 59 Member
    Options

I wish i could take them, i bet it would help but the last time i tried i couldn't get past day 2, i had 50 panic attacks, vomited 13 times and was threatening to jump off a bridge. I had tried 2 different ones before i was scared shitless to ever try again.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Marjayhan wrote: »

I wish i could take them, i bet it would help but the last time i tried i couldn't get past day 2, i had 50 panic attacks, vomited 13 times and was threatening to jump off a bridge. I had tried 2 different ones before i was scared shitless to ever try again.

That possibility could be hypomania. I can not sleep when on AD. When I am on a mood stabilizer as well it is much better.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Been taking it forever, love it. One in the morning and one before bed. Also maybe you should try ginseng. And b vitamins. That's my let's be chill and happy prescription.
  • Marjayhan
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

That's how I got my bipolar 2 diagnosis. I would become hypomanic. It took many years to figure it out. I was told I was too "happy" to be depressed. Crazy as hypomania in response to antidepressants is a major sign of Bipolar 2.

Wow that is a scary thought of diagnosis for me :o I don't know how i would feel but everytime i go to the docs he says i have a little bit of depression and anxiety. He's never diagnosed me with regular depression but i guess thats my fault because I keep a happy demeanor on the outside but feel so lost on the inside. The other day i had to watch comedies to stop myself from just bursting into tears for no reason .I was so upset but I don't understand why. I felt like a fool. Eventually i just cried for an hour cos i couldn't take the build up and repressing it any longer. I felt a bit better after, had a bath and went to bed early.

I have vitamin D here so i will begin this and maybe magnesium too to try boost myself. :blush:
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm on day 2 but only taking one capsule when it recommends 1 capsule 3 times a day but i'm a bit wary. Maybe i will increase to 2 a day in a week or so. We don't really "do" therapy in this country, I can imagine it being expensive. I suppose I could go back to the docs and talk to him he's good. I don't want to be put on any SSRI's though cos i had them before (Paxil) and they made me go nuts lol
    What general part of the world do you live in? If you're in Europe or North America I'm more than willing to bet that there are therapists given where I have lived as well as people I know who live in various areas of the world and are in or have been in therapy. Going to therapy is pretty stigmatized in a lot of places, the US included (where I currently live), that doesn't mean it isn't worth trying (or at the very least seeing if your insurance covers it and/or how much it costs without insurance). Depending on where you are there could also be therapists who charge on a sliding scale.
  • Marjayhan
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm on day 2 but only taking one capsule when it recommends 1 capsule 3 times a day but i'm a bit wary. Maybe i will increase to 2 a day in a week or so. We don't really "do" therapy in this country, I can imagine it being expensive. I suppose I could go back to the docs and talk to him he's good. I don't want to be put on any SSRI's though cos i had them before (Paxil) and they made me go nuts lol
    What general part of the world do you live in? If you're in Europe or North America I'm more than willing to bet that there are therapists given where I have lived as well as people I know who live in various areas of the world and are in or have been in therapy. Going to therapy is pretty stigmatized in a lot of places, the US included (where I currently live), that doesn't mean it isn't worth trying (or at the very least seeing if your insurance covers it and/or how much it costs without insurance). Depending on where you are there could also be therapists who charge on a sliding scale.

Again thanks everyone for the great insights. I did used to take a B complex but found they gave me the jitters did anyone else find this?? I'm from Ireland and only a few years ago if you were on AD's people would say you're a basket case etc. Or people would be like, oh think of all the good things in your life, there are people far worse off than you, what do you have to be depressed about... not very helpful :( I'm afraid i will look ridiculous to a therapist because I really don't have things to be so down about. I mean we all get sad over this or that but i'm constantly overwhelmed with a few minor changes in life and my health. Maybe anxiety making a comeback? I have a tiny bit of xanax which helps extremely, (to me its like a summers day in a pill) if i get really bad, but they don't like giving that out here , i'm only allowed less than 10 a year(i take them in halfs when needed on real bad days)
  • Marjayhan
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Hi - I am just chiming in as a retired mental health professional. I concur with previous advice about getting a reputable brand of St. Johns Wort (as key ingredient varies among brands), and noting that the SSRI hypomanic effect is possible with St. Johns Wort as well although not as common as the SSRI component of SJW is usually lower than what is prescribed. I like your idea of starting low and building up. I like the advice about vitamin D3. Some people have also found a complex vitamin B supplement helpful. These are things to talk over with your primary care provider. I would also suggest getting a light box and using it every morning for 15-30 minutes. In the US we can get them via amazon, and the one that I use in the fall/winter is a sphere gadget technologies box. I don't think it's available now but it was about US$40. The key is getting one that gives 10,000 lux

If you find that these approaches aren't helping as much as you would like them to, please do consider seeing a counselor. I know that the NHS in the UK is big on cognitive behavioral therapy and that is a time-limited approach that can be really useful. Also, I would be remiss if I didn't advise you to consult with your primary care provider as there are physical health conditions that have depression as one of the symptoms.

Finally, having depression is not a sign of weakness or anything to feel foolish about. It's very common, and can be quite challenging. I am glad you are looking into things that might help :)

Are these lights good!?? I've had this suggestion before but was afraid it wouldnt work and i'd waste my money. If it would definitely help i would get one