Sweets and Snacking

Options
Hi All,
I need some healthy alternatives to sweets such as chips, cookies and muffins. My cravings for sugar is awful and sometimes fruit isn't enough because I like the soft texture of baked goods. Help!

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Learn to moderate and control your intake and work it into your total daily calorie allotment. It’s no different than moderating any food intake. A good friend has a three bite rule, no more than 3 bites of any sweet. There are individually wrapped chocolates that are 40-60 calories.
    Strictly cutting any food out is very difficult for long term sustainability, so why not learn to control moderation and portion control.
  • moquette9
    moquette9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    In general, I find when I want something snacky, a "healthy substitute" won't work. Eating a small portion of the real deal works better for me. For others, they say they aren't satisfied with a small portion and would rather just eat something else entirely that doesn't trigger overeating for them. Are you trying to eliminate the treats you like because they are putting you over your calories? Are you eating so many treats you don't have room for all the healthy foods you want to eat? If not, there's nothing wrong with a little treat every day if you are eating the stuff you need the rest of the day. And if you are within your calories, it won't affect weight loss, if that's your goal.

Having said all that, the one exception I have to the low cal substitute is Fiber One brownies. They are pretty dang good, and some of them are only 90 calories. I also like Dove Promises chocolates, they aren't a healthier sub, but they are in 2 bite portions and rich enough that I find I only need 1 or 2 to do the trick.

If you check out the Recipes board, I'm sure there are posts in there about low cal/lower sugar type stuff.

Thanks! My problem is one cookie turns into the whole bag. So for me until I get that under control I need to eliminate and substitute.
  • moquette9
    moquette9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'm not so concerned about the calories I'm more concerned that I really have no control. I'm in school and my stress level doesn't help my cravings.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I’ve been eating the Halo Top and Enlightened ice cream everyday to kill my sweet tooth. It’s so low calorie I usually just open the pint and go to town until I’m satisfied. A pint is about 3 servings for me.
  • ecrosby512
    ecrosby512 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Dried mango. Candied ginger. In small quantities of course. But they are so flavorful and pungent that a little might be planty. The ginger is a digestive, too, so satisfying after a meal.