The effects of decreased calories - help

Options
Ok so I am starting to get the hang of this a little. I think I am just surprised how fast the calories go even though I’m eating healthy, and have been. I am struggling with still being hungry and finding foods that are low in calories yet sustaining. I am searching for some recipes that might help with this or snacks that you find are filling to carry you to dinner. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Nikki_Lee12
    Nikki_Lee12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I swear roasted chick peas keep me super full for a long time! Great snack
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MDL1418 wrote: »
    Ok so I am starting to get the hang of this a little. I think I am just surprised how fast the calories go even though I’m eating healthy, and have been. I am struggling with still being hungry and finding foods that are low in calories yet sustaining. I am searching for some recipes that might help with this or snacks that you find are filling to carry you to dinner. Any suggestions?

How many calories do you have per day? Are you getting enough fat, protein, fibre to keep you full?
  • Sarahbethany89
    Sarahbethany89 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    making sure to get all your water in?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you struggle with hunger, first make sure you're at an appropriate calorie level - let MFP do the calculation for you, but even if you want to lose weight, never aim for more than 1% of your bodyweight per week. The calories you get then, will be sufficient if you spend smart. That means looking at your diet as a whole and balancing nutrients, it may mean eating more smaller meals, or bigger and fewer meals. Hunger and satiety is so subjective and individual as well as situational and habitual, that any particular recipe someone else likes, is not likely to be just what you need. And because hunger and satiety is so subjective and individual as well as situational and habitual, the residual "fake hunger" when you've covered all your nutritional needs, is something you will just have to learn to tolerate.
  • sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, getting enough water helps me. I tend to get hungriest at night, so that’s when I drink a ton of water.
    If you eat meat, lean chicken breast has been a life saver for me. I can eat a huge 7-8 ounce breast and it’s usually only around 200 calories.
    Also as mentioned above, the mental aspect is huge. I have to ask myself all the time “Am I really hungry? Or am I just bored/wanting to eat for comfort/entertainment?”
    Also, use a food scale! Of course I found that I was overeating certain things by using measuring cups, but I also found I was under eating some of my favorite things! (ie, the measuring cup I was using to portion out cereal was shorting me by about 10-20 grams).
    Best of luck to ya!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Mmm. Roasted chickpeas. Love them as a snack.

@MDL1418 keep studying your FOOD page and make notes when you find foods that keep you full until your next meal. For me, I can't eat breads, cereal, crackers, chips unless they are part of a substantial meal. If I try to snack on them, they sabotage me in the form of binging or triggering over-eating. I had to stop buying them.

Then make sure every meal is substantial enough to keep you satiated until the next meal. For me, that means between 400-600 calories, making sure there is a good amount of protein, fat and fiber in every meal.

Agree with kommodeveran that if your calories are set appropriately then there is an element of just sucking it up involved when in weight-loss mode. I just tell myself, "You don't need more food. You know you don't need more food, it's just an urge." Then it passes.

• MDL1418
    MDL1418 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    MDL1418 wrote: »

How many calories do you have per day? Are you getting enough fat, protein, fibre to keep you full?

I think that is some of the issue. Yesterday I sat down and really looked at some of that in more detail and am switching it up a bit. I also sat down and picked out a lot of veggies that I like and researched the calories of each. I was able to plan larger meals with fewer calories to accommodate some of the issue. My calories per day are 1800
  • MDL1418
    Options
    making sure to get all your water in?

Oh yes, tons of water 120 ounces or more per day

• MDL1418
    Options
    As mentioned, getting enough water helps me. I tend to get hungriest at night, so that’s when I drink a ton of water.
    If you eat meat, lean chicken breast has been a life saver for me. I can eat a huge 7-8 ounce breast and it’s usually only around 200 calories.
    Also as mentioned above, the mental aspect is huge. I have to ask myself all the time “Am I really hungry? Or am I just bored/wanting to eat for comfort/entertainment?”
    Also, use a food scale! Of course I found that I was overeating certain things by using measuring cups, but I also found I was under eating some of my favorite things! (ie, the measuring cup I was using to portion out cereal was shorting me by about 10-20 grams).
    Best of luck to ya!

You will be happy to know I purchased my food scale yesterday :) I know for certain I need that. And I do agree... the cups I had were causing me the same issue. And you’re also right about the mental part. It does take that mind over matter philosophy to do this successfully for sure. Thank you. I greatly appreciate your response.
  • MDL1418
    Options
    Mmm. Roasted chickpeas. Love them as a snack.

@MDL1418 keep studying your FOOD page and make notes when you find foods that keep you full until your next meal. For me, I can't eat breads, cereal, crackers, chips unless they are part of a substantial meal. If I try to snack on them, they sabotage me in the form of binging or triggering over-eating. I had to stop buying them.

Then make sure every meal is substantial enough to keep you satiated until the next meal. For me, that means between 400-600 calories, making sure there is a good amount of protein, fat and fiber in every meal.

Agree with kommodeveran that if your calories are set appropriately then there is an element of just sucking it up involved when in weight-loss mode. I just tell myself, "You don't need more food. You know you don't need more food, it's just an urge." Then it passes.

I agree. I cannot do the breads, chips, crackers etc. for the same reasons you mentioned. I am instantly hungry if I do that. I will need to switch things up a bit and add a little more to sustain me (fats, proteins) in my breakfast especially. I just bought my food scale yesterday and I think that will help also because I may not have been measuring appropriately with the cups I had before and eating under to be “safe” - thank you for the feedback, it’s appreciate

• siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    For the residual hunger that many people just have to live with while losing weight, I try to catch the thought "God, I'm hungry!" and follow it up with "Good, that means this is working! I'm so psyched to see my progress so far!"

My body is smart enough to respond to weight loss by saying, you know, you're undereating, you should probably eat more right now. I'm smart enough to say, good, yes, thank you, I am undereating my maintenance calories, look at all my fabulous weight loss, go me!

Note that, just like everything else in weight loss, this won't work for everyone :smiley:

Oh, and: coffee. Black coffee, you are my savior.
  • MDL1418
    Options
    For the residual hunger that many people just have to live with while losing weight, I try to catch the thought "God, I'm hungry!" and follow it up with "Good, that means this is working! I'm so psyched to see my progress so far!"

My body is smart enough to respond to weight loss by saying, you know, you're undereating, you should probably eat more right now. I'm smart enough to say, good, yes, thank you, I am undereating my maintenance calories, look at all my fabulous weight loss, go me!

Note that, just like everything else in weight loss, this won't work for everyone :smiley:

Oh, and: coffee. Black coffee, you are my savior.

Well written my friend. I love the attitude and presentation- that is a great way of thinking. I think what’s nice to hear is that we are not alone and all at one time or another have battled with the beginning stages of calorie cutting and really monitoring it all. Sometimes it’s just a breath of fresh air to hear something such as this. Very motivating and that is what it’s all about. Thank you. And yes- black coffee- LOVE