Bum knee? I'm too young!

Options
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I took the opportunity to watch Dr. Phil while doing cardio at my gym. They have all their cardio machines (bikes, treadmills, elipticals, stairsteppers) hooked up to Comcast so you can watch and listen to any cable channel you want. Love it!

Unfortunately it only took about ten minutes before I started getting a sharp pain in my left knee. I get a similar pain in my shoulders when I lift my arms directly out to the sides sometimes. I pushed through [gently] for the full hour, trying different machines, but everything hurt, it was just either a little bit or a lot. I didn't want to wimp out because I frequently used to just stop when it gets hard instead of really getting a good work out. That night though my knee was really hurting and I couldn't push off of it to go up stairs or really put any pressure on it while bent. It feels okay today after some pain PM type pills last night.

Does anyone have similar experiences, can you tell me what might be wrong? I've had joint pain before, which was somewhere between arthritis and food sensitivities (depending on which doctor you ask!) but that was achy and sore not sharp. I'm not an athletic person and the only active stuff I did as a kid was swimming which is famous for being gentle on the knees! I'm only 23 so I feel like I shouldn't be having that problem and I'd like advice on what it could be caused by and how I can fix it so I can continue to work my little heart out. Thanks!

Replies

• LillysGranny
    Options
    It could be that you did not warm up enough or that you have increased your time/distance too rapidly. Even though you're young, you have to give your body time to gradually adjust to your new routine. Back off for a while and then start building back up slowly. Good luck!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    You may be allergic to Dr Phil. I know I am, he makes my butt itch.
    Seriously, what were you doing when your knee started hurting?
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I've got knee issues as well - have had a few lower body surgeries, but I still struggle. Today I brought ice cups to work with me to help with tendonitis. Although swimming is easier on your knees than land sports, it still takes it's toll (I am a swimmer). However, with my knees, I know swimming is my best form of exercise. I swim 3-4 days a week and do the elliptical or a workout DVD the others. My suggestion would be to use ice cups and advil when your knee is bothering you and try to incorporate swimming more into your workouts. GREAT cardio without the strain on your knees.

Most importantly, be careful. My grandmother, 2 aunts, and mom have either previously had or are having knee replacement surgery this year. I know I have to take care of mine to ensure I don't end up on the same path!! It's fine to push through some pain, but if it hurts enough that you think about stopping, you probably should switch to something else.
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    I would suggest seeing a chiropractor or a physio therapist. I was having sharp pains running down my arm while on the elliptical, and it ended up being a pinched nerve. With a couple of treatments at the chiropractor, I was fine.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You didn't say whether or not you run, but it sounds like classic "runner's knee." Unfortunately there can be any number of causes, but the symptoms are exactly what you describe. As someone already pointed out, it can be attributed to trying to do too much too fast, or just plain overtraining.

Best course of action is to take it easy for a few days wtih RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation). That should help. If the pain persists though you will want to see a doctor. You also might want to invest in a knee brace: they aren't that expensive.

I went through that at the end of June and found out I have 2 bone spurs. There is nothing that can be done about the bone spurs but to scrape them, and my pain is not bad enough or persistent enough to warrant that. It did take about 3 weeks to completely dissipate, and I still have an occasional ache. I'm back into my regular routine...but behind on my training schedule for an upcoming race due to that down time :-)
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You're never too young to have a bum knee, I've had one since I was 10. Tore half of it out while biking plus there' arthritis in my family so I'm also on the point of developing arthritis in my knee at 24! Last year I was sent for an x-ray on it after I had a blood test for arthritis....

Anyway, where on your knee does it hurt?

It could be anything from failure to warm up properly, to not doing it right, to an actual medical condition.
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 521 Member
    Options

LOL! As soon as I read that, I didn't even need to look at who posted it....

I <3 you Ted!

To the OP... I'm sorry, i can't give you any advice! I've had a sore knee since doing Level 2 of the 30DS a few months ago, but I just backed off a bit til it eased (by modifying exercises etc) and iced it all the time, now I just ignore the crunching as I go up & down stairs! Hope someone else here can be of more use than me...!
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and both my knees are really bad. I'm overweight but not obese & fairly active. Knee problems don't always have to do with age. I have had so much trouble with my knees...I've had surgery on one and I'm trying to avoid surgery on the other.

Knee pain is not something you can "work" through like other pains. If it hurts at the gym you need to stop and see if it feels better or quit for the day. It doesn't make you a wimp! The pressure and inability to bear weight isn't good and I suggest you go and see a doctor if you are able to. It's best to know if you have a problem so that you don't make it worse.

For now take ibuprofen, elevate your leg (and knee...see if you can keep a small pillow under it for the night...I find that really helps), and use ice. While it's swollen I don't reccomend going to the gym.

I manage my daily pain, swelling, and stiffness by taking fish oil, glucosamine/chondritin and MSM daily. If I can help more or anything, feel free to PM me :)

I hope you feel better soon! Maybe the knee is just a bit overworked. Best of luck to you, knee problems are never fun lol.

Edit to say: my problem was a baker's cyst that burst and baaaaddddd knee joint placement.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Could be over training. How often and long are you working out?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    If you are new to exercise you may need to build some muscle to help support your joints. Start small and dont give up. You should get t it checked out though. maybe a knee support band might help you for now.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Seriously, what were you doing when your knee started hurting?

bahahah oh dr. phil.

I had this happen too. I was training a lot more than I was used to, and I aggrevated my IT Band, it's a band that connects from your hip to just past your knee and if it gets too tight it rubs. I was told that, as girls, we have really weak hips, and need to do hip strengthening exercises
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor. I had something similar last month. My doc said no squats for 3 days. Ice every day and keep it lifted when I slept. Much better. I still can't squat what I normally do, nor run up the stairs at the gym, but I can do hamstring exercises again and light jogging on and off the treadmill. Always consult your doc.

PS- LMAO at allergic to Dr. Phil!!!
  • Lisajane76
    Lisajane76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues as well. particularly my left one. i had a slight tear in the minscus (misspelled) 4 months ago...hurt to walk or go up and down stairs. anyway... i would do advil, ice, elevation of it when possible and most importantly take it easy at the gym. also your IT band may be tight and needs to be stretched. do this by taking left foot crossing it over your right foot and bend slowly like you are trying to touch the floor hold for 15 seconds nooooooo bouncing and switch sides. sometimes if other areas are tight your knees will take the abuse... just something to consider... if it doesn't get well...see a doctor. i have right shoulder pain as well...close to rotator cuff but not quite.. and it's just inflamation from using those muscles all the time in the gym... trainer said advil and to stretch it out and use lighter weights for awhile... the joys of getting in shape... :love:
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problems. Then I read somewhere about the relationship with joint pain to artificial sweeteners. I stopped using them and my pains went away after suffering for many years. I don't know if it was a reaction I personally was having or if it an unknown issue. Might want to try it.
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have a bad left knee, when I was 21, 9 years ago, roughly, I had a 1 cm large cyst surgically removed from my knee cap! I also did H.S. marching band for 4 years! The roll step was a killer on it. I push thru alot of the pain, sleep with my leg elevated,and advil or aleve. I know as I move more, adn loose weight it starts to feel better. Trick is to push that joint as you can, but not over do it.
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses! Except the allergy suggestion..... I'll never give up my Dr. Phil habit! lol.

A lot of you asked for some more information so I'll try to be more helpful here:

- I was using the elliptical when it started. I did that for ten minutes, then moved to their stairstepper/elliptical crossover machines that I don't know the name of for about 15 minutes, then I tried the stationary bike for the rest of my time. Some of the time I had to just pedal with my right foot and give my left knee a break.

- I am not a runner. I'd like to say I love running but I actually kinda hate it. My lung capacity is slightly limited due to a rib alignment issue and my cardiovascular health isn't amazing, so I run out of breath waaaay before my legs get sore at all. It's discouraging to not be able to run the length of a block and feel like your muscles aren't even getting a workout, so I don't run much. (-:

- The pain was on the outside (left side since it's the left knee), kind of under the kneecap but definitely on the side. Sharp pain, not general swolleness and soreness. My shoulders are the same way except they always hurt when I move them the wrong way, and it's that sharp pain, so it's not due to overworking them. in that case.

- Yes I did just start a new level of exercising (i.e., from occasional walks to actually going to a gym), but I don't think it's excessive. I go 3-5 times a week and stay for an hour or less each time. Sometimes I use the Nautilus strength equipment, sometimes I do some elliptical or other cardio. I was excited about working out for the full TV show that day because I've never done cardio for more than probably 20-30 minutes before. Bottom line I don't think it was overworked, and the pain started pretty quickly, so I don't feel like that's the problem.

Yesterday I went back and only did the Nautilus stuff and avoided cardio. But I had no pain all day, and even when I did things like the leg press or leg extensions, which stress the knees, I had no pain at all.

The only thing I did think of was that I remembered I wore different shoes - I'd forgotten my sturdy tennies but I didn't want to give up on the gym so I wore some lightweight tennies I had in the car. I usually wear sturdy shoes with insole support inserts, and this time I didn't. Would that cause crazy knee pain like that? I didn't think it'd be a big deal (since I didn't use the treadmill) so I didn't even think about it.