Kicking hashimotos in the butt 💪🏼

Options
I am a Surf instructor in California, and have always been healthy, but the last 3 years I’ve been fighting with an auto immune called hashimotos which affects your thyroid! Needless to say I gained 30lbs and am KICKING THIS AUTO IMMUNE IN THE BUTT! my husband and I are on this new health journey together! We all have to start somewhere right?
Message me if you too have an auto immune or are getting back into the fitness lifestyle! We can all spur each other on! x96oxcu2t4mr.jpeg

Replies

• 2Racks
    2Racks Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Good luck fighting your auto immune battle 🍀
  • AvandHK
    AvandHK Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My mother suffers from that too, the doctor has prescribed some pills to take care of it but can you tell me what lifestyle or diet changes you’ve made to help get rid of it? because I honestly don’t believe some pills are enough to do the job
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    AvandHK wrote: »
    My mother suffers from that too, the doctor has prescribed some pills to take care of it but can you tell me what lifestyle or diet changes you’ve made to help get rid of it? because I honestly don’t believe some pills are enough to do the job

for thyroid issues - a pill which is probably levothyroxine/synthroid is the ONLY way to regulate the production of thyroid hormones - if your body stops making them then you have no other recourse
  • Blackdahlia1983
    Blackdahlia1983 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am afflicted by Hashimotos as well. It is difficult to deal with and can affect so many different functions of the body. I hope you are able to beat it and realize your journey!! Best of luck!!
  • megantreat5
    megantreat5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So I too take a pill to give my body a boost in producing the hormone I lack, but a pill won’t do anything if you arnt majorly changing your lifestyle! I completely cut out all Gluten! I eat very little sugars and don’t drink alcohol unless it’s a special occasion. Hashimotos is directly coorilated to what you eat because of what is called a hashimotos flare which occurs through how your body responds to things like sugar, gluten, alcohol ect. I would have your mom get a couple books on hashimotos and diet that helps break it down for her and allows her to u derstand it;)
  • campellone69
    campellone69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s three months ago and would love here what your doing to lose the weight. I’ve gained 25-30 lbs and lost about 10lbs, depending on the day 😂. My endocrinologist says that it’s water weight, so stay away from salty foods, fatty foods and starches.
  • Try2018
    Try2018 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 1 at age 16 and Graves Disease at age 38, both are auto-immune. When My thyroid freaked out - I had to drink radioactive iodine to kill it. I lost 25lbs over a month & then gained it right back the next month after my thyroid finally died and I was put on synthroid. A year ago my dr dropped my synthroid dose and I gained 5lbs. And I’ve gained 8 since then from poor eating habits and not excercisinh. I’m 46 and wanting to loose some of this weight.
  • Sarahbethany89
    Sarahbethany89 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac AND Hashi too! Just added you