Snack suggestions for weight gain

What are some good suggestions on snacks that are high in calories? Im about 127-130 lbs and my goal is to get to 140.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Anything you will actually be eating enough of for it to make a difference. Look at the food labels, they show the calorie content.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    nuts
  • Nelly2996
    Nelly2996 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you very insightful! I have to consume about 2,970/calories a day. That is a little difficult for me since I don't normally eat that much.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Peanut butter and nuts are very calorie dense for small portions.
    Cheese! All of the cheese!
    Olive oil added while cooking.
  • Nelly2996
    Nelly2996 Posts: 3 Member
    What would cheese do for me? That was unexpected

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Nelly2996 wrote: »

Give you a lot of calories for not much food.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yep, that’s it! If I ate the amount of cheese I actually wanted to eat it would be 73,000 calories vs the couple hundred I can budget for in just a few small cubes! Lol
  • AnvilHead
    edited September 2018

Yep, that’s it! If I ate the amount of cheese I actually wanted to eat it would be 73,000 calories vs the couple hundred I can budget for in just a few small cubes! Lol

Exactly! A 1" cube of cheddar (about 0.6 ounce) is around 70 calories - that's one little bite. Eat 6 of those and you've just downed about 420 calories, and that's barely even a snack!

Peanut butter is also hugely calorie dense - around 180-200 calories for a 32g (2 tablespoon) serving. And when you actually weigh out a proper 32g serving on a food scale, it's a miserably small amount of PB. If you make a PB&J sandwich with a realistic amount of peanut butter, you're looking at 600+ calories for the sandwich. Add an 8 ounce glass of whole milk to wash it down and you're at 750-800 calories, easy.
  • mrslynda
    mrslynda Posts: 50 Member
    I agree with cheese. When I am having trouble reaching my calories and have a lowish calorie meal in mind for my work lunch, cheese really helps add more to salads etc. The great thing about logging is you can see what different ingredients do as you make up a meal. Some favourites of mine are pasta with either creamy sauce, or sour cream with a protein and veggies, or beans, salsa, cheese, sour cream and corn chips. Doritos are a great way to add in calories.

Also one of my kids is quite skinny (only 9) and the other is fussey. We find a cup of milk on top of what they are already eating with or without sustagen or similar helps. I am not saying 'gomad' but a cup is 164 calories when you have full cream.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member

Exactly! A 1" cube of cheddar (about 0.6 ounce) is around 70 calories - that's one little bite. Eat 6 of those and you've just downed about 420 calories, and that's barely even a snack!

Peanut butter is also hugely calorie dense - around 180-200 calories for a 32g (2 tablespoon) serving. And when you actually weigh out a proper 32g serving on a food scale, it's a miserably small amount of PB. If you make a PB&J sandwich with a realistic amount of peanut butter, you're looking at 600+ calories for the sandwich. Add an 8 ounce glass of whole milk to wash it down and you're at 750-800 calories, easy.

Yes! The power of peanut butter!

2 slices of bread (240 calories) toasted with 1 tbsp butter (100 calories)
    2 tbsp peanut butter (200 calories)
    2 tbsp jelly (100 calories)

sandwich - 640 calories

2 scoops protein powder(240 calories) in 1 cup of milk (150 calories) - 390 calories

total for sandwich and drink - 1030 calories
  • AnvilHead
    Trail mix is another one that can add a bunch of calories in a hurry, and is easy to eat a lot of. Or smoked almonds - 170 calories per 1-ounce serving, 6 servings in a can for a total of 1020 calories per can.

Another favorite snack of mine is dried mango - at almost 100 calories per ounce.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Granola.
    Ittty bitty amount, bazillion calories.

Dried fruit also have a lot of calories.