Carbs.

Options
What’s the least amount of carbs a person can eat on a daily basis and not get sick? I’m eating under 20g for about 3 weeks now and I’ve lost weight but lately I’ve been feeling light headed. I’m going to start going to the gym so should I up my carb intake once I start going? Thanks!

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
  • Alarmed_one
    Alarmed_one Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You feel lightheaded because you are undereating. Your body needs fuel and you're depriving it of that. Eat more, even if it means eating a few more carbs.

Should I just add some protein shakes to the mix? Is that good enough? I have the premier ones that I never drink but I could put them to good use
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    NM
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    What’s the least amount of carbs a person can eat on a daily basis and not get sick? I’m eating under 20g for about 3 weeks now and I’ve lost weight but lately I’ve been feeling light headed. I’m going to start going to the gym so should I up my carb intake once I start going? Thanks!

T2 diabetics on very low carb programs eat 30g carbs max per day. But those plans are only meant to be followed for three months initially. I think up to 70g a day is considered low carb and weight loss is achievable on that. You could up your intake to 40 or 50g daily and you'd still lose weight. Do some research about carb intake when exercising. On just 20g a day you'd probably collapse at the gym.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You feel lightheaded because you are undereating. Your body needs fuel and you're depriving it of that. Eat more, even if it means eating a few more carbs.
    ^^THIS^^
    Eat more calories. Low carb or not.
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have been <20g net carbs a day for 10 months and have no problem with feeling lightheaded except when my blood pressure is a bit too low. I usually run on the low side of normal but some days it will dip under 90/50 and on those days I have to be careful when standing up or stooping. I think your problem is inadequate calorie intake. If you are eating low carb it is essential to have an adequate fat intake of healthy fats to meet your metabolic requirement. Try adding MCT, coconut or olive oil to your food where possible. Butter is also a good option. Avocados and nuts can also give you a boost of healthy fats.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

How many calories are you eating?

I’ll be honest here.... between 600 and 900..... I’m not hungry.... ever since I quit carbs I just don’t want to eat....

You are under eating!!! By a lot! You are feeling lightheaded because your body needs more energy (calories). The minimum calories for women is 1200/day, and even that is quite low unless a woman is very petit and sedentary.