Thinking about trying keto

Options
Hello everyone,
I’ve been reading up on the keto diet and thinking about trying it because low carb, low sugar. I am a lover of pasta, bread, rice, potatoes; everything that’s not allowed on keto. But I know that those are contributing to my weight gain.
Anyone doing keto mind sharing how they got started, any difficulties, your struggles, successes with alternatives for high carb foods. (I love fries, well anything potato really. I know it’ll be hard for me to not eat it)

Replies

• CNG24
    CNG24 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm in Keto! Been doing it since April! I eat the same things all the time to keep my self consistent and to make food prep easy for me. I also take some "time off" here and there especially when I'm traveling or away from home. I never go crazy but I'm just trying to stay sane. :)
  • CNG24
    CNG24 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    CNG24 wrote: »
    I'm in Keto! Been doing it since April! I eat the same things all the time to keep my self consistent and to make food prep easy for me. I also take some "time off" here and there especially when I'm traveling or away from home. I never go crazy but I'm just trying to stay sane. :)

If someone has to take time off from their diet to stay sane I'd suggest that maybe their chosen way of eating is not sustainable long-term for them and they should rethink their decision. What are your plans once you reach your goal weight? Can you imagine eating keto for the rest of your life? If not then you really need to seriously consider not just how to plan to lose weight, but how you plan to keep that weight off for life. Losing weight is the easy part. Maintaining that loss for life is the biggest challenge and one where over 80% fail. If you want to be in that 20% then you really need to make lifetime changes rather than follow some unsustainable diet short term.

I understand where you are coming from but I only "take time off" because I'm still trying to become an expert at it and trying to find things out and about when I'm not at home has been kinda tough lately. But on getting there. I love this lifestyle and how it makes my body feel so I'm a lifer. Everyone has struggled with certain things in their lives. :)
  • mlcarv
    mlcarv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat less, keep your diet balanced and exercise. Only a calorie deficit will make you lose weight. Calculate your percent fat to determine the number of calories you burn at rest (look for those formulas online from people trying to build muscle and burn fat) then use a fitness tracker linked to MyFitnessPal to get your real calorie burn when you work out. Keep a 10% to 20% deficit daily. You’ll gradually lose weight. Every few weeks, have a cheat day or 2, only 10-20% over your calorie goal. That will trick your body and your cortisol level back up. I try to eat about 1g of protein per pound of body weight but it’s not a hard rule. I just do it since I lift weight as part of my exercise regime, It helps maintain muscle mass. Don’t fret about the scale: your weight will vary depending on your cycles also. I tend to retain water during my periods. What matters is that on average you lose a few pounds a month. Keto for no specific medical reason is everything a diet shouldn’t be: hard to keep up with, not really good/tasty after a while, and difficult to manage. Just my opinion, of course. Not judging, a lot of my friends do it and have a hard time with it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @UncaToddly I can easily mindlessly eat an entire canister of plain lightly salted nuts and not feel full even though it's over 1000 calories. I can eat a 200 calorie bowl of oatmeal and blueberries and be full for hours.

I overeat fat. I find fiber and protein keeps me earing the right amount of cals with ease.

Please stop hijacking the OP'S thread. I'm sure you can find one of the many threads in the Debate forum where you can argue the science. OP just wanted to hear people's experience and tips.

OP, you don't have to do low carb or keto to lose weight but some people do find it makes it easier to get into a deficit. Why not try a less extreme carb level first, like 100g and start logging. Play around with it a little, and then go lower if/when you're ready? Most people I know who succeeded with low carb didn't really use substitutes they just increased the other stuff on their plate and focused on using their carbs for veggies and berries.

I lost weight and have been pretty easily maintaining on around 50% carbs, 200 ish grams. I am more comfortable and energetic eating that way, and my goal is to eat like the Blue Zones or the Mediterranean style. You just have to find what works for you. Good luck!
  • Strawberrygrl
    Strawberrygrl Posts: 147 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    TeeP17, I have been on strict keto since 8/12. My boyfriend and I started the same day. He is lazy keto and I am strict. He only counts his carb intake and stays below 20g per day. He is still eating certain fast foods (no breads or grains) and snacks when he is hungry. He is already noticeably losing inches off his waist. My story is much different. The diet is more complicated for me because I have to put in more work as far as closely monitoring how much I am taking in to meet my macros or stay under. A food scale is a necessity for me. I tend to quite often stay hungry because I still haven't found the right foods to keep my hunger down and stay within macros.

If you want to try keto, be sure to keep your electrolytes up. I suffered the "keto flu" one day during the first week because I hadn't really drank any water the day before. I suggest lots of water mixed with 1/4 tsp of potassium salt each serving. This tastes better with water flavorings. I take a women's supplement every day as well with a magnesium supplement. If you feel your electrolytes are off, drinking pickle juice helped me.

I miss a lot of foods that I used to eat, but have found some great dupe recipes online. I make pizza weekly, but it obviously doesn't taste the same. It isn't bad, though. I also have found some great fat bomb recipes that taste delicious when I want something sweet and I need to get my macros fulfilled.

My boyfriend likes variety, so there is a lot of cooking involved for us. Keeping a weekly food schedule is a good idea. I tend to boil eggs, cook bacon, and make the fat bombs on the weekend to make sure they are readily available throughout the week for snacking on. I also plan on making a large salad and putting these into Mason jars to quickly grab and eat through the week.

If you would like to add me, you are more than welcome to if you are still interesting in trying keto. I will help if I can. :)
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy carbs and want to sustain long-term I would suggest you don't do Keto. You can lose weight by CICO, it doesn't matter what you eat, you just have to remain in a deficit.

You can still eat all the food you enjoy and love, you just need to eat less of it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

If someone has to take time off from their diet to stay sane I'd suggest that maybe their chosen way of eating is not sustainable long-term for them and they should rethink their decision. What are your plans once you reach your goal weight? Can you imagine eating keto for the rest of your life? If not then you really need to seriously consider not just how to plan to lose weight, but how you plan to keep that weight off for life. Losing weight is the easy part. Maintaining that loss for life is the biggest challenge and one where over 80% fail. If you want to be in that 20% then you really need to make lifetime changes rather than follow some unsustainable diet short term.

I understand where you are coming from but I only "take time off" because I'm still trying to become an expert at it and trying to find things out and about when I'm not at home has been kinda tough lately. But on getting there. I love this lifestyle and how it makes my body feel so I'm a lifer. Everyone has struggled with certain things in their lives. :)

I missed your response. It seems I misinterpreted what was written (the joys of when communication is via written language only and body language and tone is taken out of the mix). I am actually really glad to hear that you are enjoying your keto lifestyle. Good luck with finding that adjustment for eating away from home. The same applies for all of us when eating out really although keto does make it a bit harder with its greater restrictions.