Low BP

Options
2»

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have low bp now and my pulse is somewhat elevated. My doctor suggested a higher sodium diet. My weight definitely jumped up from the sodium causing water retention but I am having less dizzy spells and feel otherwise fine now
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have low BP - gotten slightly higher as I've aged. I do experience dizziness on standing every once in a while when standing too quickly. I do have orthostatic hypotension and as an extra bonus vasovagal syncope. The latter particularly kicks in in medical situations. I passed out 3/4 of the way through my first mammogram - woke up on the floor. Luckily I was between images and unclamped when it happened - it would have been particularly uncomfortable if it was otherwise.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    yep mine is usually low and then a few months ago I had some issues where just walking my heart rate would be almost 3 times the amount it was at resting(50-60s for me). I dont get dizzy or lightheaded either. I started having issues and went to the ER. (I have a post about it) anyway I had to wear a holter monitor and it picked up that I had a heart rhythm disorder. I went to a cardiologist who is going to do a nuclear stress test and then do another echo(ultrasound of my heart). Im waiting on that appt.

if anyone is experiencing any symptoms please see a dr as soon as you can. its not anything to mess with thats for sure .
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    It's normal. Mine is usually 85/55. I eat a ton of salt. I do still occasionally black out when rising too quickly.

You know that isn't normal, right?

I meant normal for some people.

I have never even thought anything of it, I figured it happened to everyone lol. it only happens to me occasionally. A few weeks ago my husband was around for one, I had to sit back down on the floor, and he was so concerned. He was like "umm that is NOT normal."

"Postural hypotension and occurs within the first 15 seconds of standing up suddenly. The autonomic nervous system usually corrects this fall in BP very quickly and symptoms are usually very short-lived. ‘Head rush’ can occur in young, healthy people."

And it's a sign of POTS, if it's also accompanied by increase heart rate. It's not really normal. Increased salt consumption can generally help it.

OP, if you are concerned, I would recommend going to see a cardiologist who can run some test, like a tilt table. GP's generally don't have the specialty for these things.

I think this thread has gotten a little confused. OP (Mexicangreensalsa) said she isn't dizzy and has no symptoms. I don't see any reason to suggest a visit to a cardiologist for a symptom-free person with low BP who has been observed by medical personnel multiple times without their recommending further action.

It's another party (mom23mangos) commenting on the thread who said (as I read it) that low BP is normal (later qualifying normal "for some people"), and then mentioned that her low BP is accompanied by fainting on standing, which other people seem to have interpreted as her saying that postural hypotension is normal.

Just FYI, I never mentioned fainting. I’ve never fainted in my life. I do however occasionally experience a visual blackout with a head rush.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure has always ran low. (85/50 is my normal). It runs in my family. Since becoming a runner, my resting hr cruises at about 45bpm.

I've inquired about this with my doctor, he has no issue with either as in every other aspect I'm healthy. The only recommendation from my doctor is to raise blood pressure during the day is to have some coffee and salty snacks, but if I don't want to, I'm fine.
  • Lisa_ASD_Mummy
    Lisa_ASD_Mummy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have always had a low BP, when I was a teen used to faint a lot, the GP didn't seem concerned though at the time, and then when I was pregnant I fainted a lot which was annoying but the GP/Hospital again didn't seem concerned just told me to take it easy and not to overheat. I have my BP tested regularly and it is always low, I get head rush usually on a night when I have been resting for a while and stand up to go into the kitchen and sometimes I get pain behind my eyes with it, which usually passes within a few seconds.

My resting BP is often down to 39 as well not sure if it is linked or not but my Dad is the same very low resting HR, and my Mum/Gran have the low BP, I think its just the way our family is. I don't know my Mums resting HR as she doesn't check it ever but given how fit and active she is I would assume it is low.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Mine is usually 85/55. I eat a ton of salt. I do still occasionally black out when rising too quickly.

I have never even thought anything of it, I figured it happened to everyone lol. it only happens to me occasionally. A few weeks ago my husband was around for one, I had to sit back down on the floor, and he was so concerned. He was like "umm that is NOT normal."

"Postural hypotension and occurs within the first 15 seconds of standing up suddenly. The autonomic nervous system usually corrects this fall in BP very quickly and symptoms are usually very short-lived. ‘Head rush’ can occur in young, healthy people."

And it's a sign of POTS, if it's also accompanied by increase heart rate. It's not really normal. Increased salt consumption can generally help it.

OP, if you are concerned, I would recommend going to see a cardiologist who can run some test, like a tilt table. GP's generally don't have the specialty for these things.

I think this thread has gotten a little confused. OP (Mexicangreensalsa) said she isn't dizzy and has no symptoms. I don't see any reason to suggest a visit to a cardiologist for a symptom-free person with low BP who has been observed by medical personnel multiple times without their recommending further action.

It's another party (mom23mangos) commenting on the thread who said (as I read it) that low BP is normal (later qualifying normal "for some people"), and then mentioned that her low BP is accompanied by fainting on standing, which other people seem to have interpreted as her saying that postural hypotension is normal.

Just FYI, I never mentioned fainting. I’ve never fainted in my life. I do however occasionally experience a visual blackout with a head rush.

My apologies. Initially you said "blackout," not "visual blackout." I assumed you were using it in the usual way, to refer to a loss of consciousness, and in the context of losing consciousness upon standing, I took it to mean you fainted. Since blackout can also mean passing out from drinking too much, I was trying to be clearer for anyone who didn't follow the whole thread, since, as I mentioned there already seemed to be people confusing you and the OP, and thus derailing the thread. Sorry for adding to the confusion and derailing.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Low BP for me too. Usually 90s/50s. Doctor said that is great as long as I don't have any symptoms.

I did however have one dizzy spell. Turns out some supplements can lower your BP. I was taking B-Complex, fish oil, and magnesium. All of which lower BP even further! Watch out for chia seeds too. I've since stopped them all.

Also research the power of salt for folks like us! I have always been a salt over sweet person, oftentimes CRAVING it. Perhaps it's my body's way of telling me something. SALT SALT SALT :) I even now carry a little bit of Himalayan pink salt with me in case I'm feeling a little "off".
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I put forward the idea of seeing a different doctor. Having a low silent bp can be indicative of other health problems. It appals me that Low Blood pressure still elicits, "no need to worry", when a "probably little to worry about but lets look into it", from too many doctors. It seems as if they are trained to fear high BP to the extent low at the levels several of you have mention are not red flagged. It can be something as simple as low blood volume possibly dehydration but can be a symptom of diabetes feeding into or contributing heart problems or could be indicative of some endocrine disorders. I'm sure many are too well aware how difficult for those to be diagnosed and treated well, dare I say, especially when the person with the issue is a woman though we do not have the problem to ourselves, some men have difficulties being taken seriously.

The idea that its "OK to faint", is downright dangerous, in my view. Fainting does not choose to do it when you're sat in a chair reading a book, in comparative safety. Its more likely when you are up and about doing something, I'd fear falling in a dangerous place. All the very best to all and everyone, please take care.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Since you're saying there's a difference between "visual blackout with a head rush" and "fainting", I'm sure there is, but they sound pretty similar to me ;)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Since you're saying there's a difference between "visual blackout with a head rush" and "fainting", I'm sure there is, but they sound pretty similar to me ;)

The visual blackout is the first stage of fainting. I had postural hypotension in the past. I used to get the tunnel vision to lack of vision daily. If my blood glucose was falling, or BP was low enough, it progressed to fainting about once a year. It's basically the same thing, just not as progressed.

More salt really does help. Low carb helped me too for some reason. My visual blackouts went from a couple times a day, starting in childhood, to once every few months.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have really low BP? I don't feel dizzy or have any symptoms but my BP is always like 90-95/50-60.

I just was wondering if others have BP similar numbers without symptoms? My pulse is also very low about 40-50 resting. I have no issues exercising or being active.

I have been like this for years but doctors/nurses are always amazed how low it is and I am just hoping it is normal for some people and not something I should worry about. No doctors have ever said something was wrong, but I can't help but wonder since all my friends and family have significantly higher BP and HR.

My mother had BP like yours and she lived to be 95. If you feel good and your doctor isn't worried, then you don't have to worry. It is not common, but it is common enough that Dr.s know not to worry if it is that person's norm.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I think it was an unfortunate word choice, as blackout has a specific meaning. I have naturally low BP which runs in the family and sometimes when I stand up too fast I have a literally one second length moment of dizziness where I see black. Not a loss of consciousness, though as @nvmomketo said it is pretty much what the first stage of fainting feels like.

Both my mom (who also has low BP ) and I have had several doctors including a cardiologist and neurologist tell us this is a thing and nothing to worry about as long as the dizziness is caused by the altitude change and passes immediately.

OP my BP is right around where yours is, and most of the time doctors/nurses don't even react to it.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,754 Member
    Options
    I'm another with low BP, and I get irritated with people who try to tell me that "salt is bad for you" or tell me not to put salt on my food. I used to tell them that if it wan't for the added salt and the strong black coffee I would scarcely be able to walk around. (That's an exaggeration by the way but these "do-gooders" who think they have the right to comment on my food choices do annoy me)
    I also used to have dizzy moments when standing quickly but these seem to have stopped - perhaps at 68 with arthritis in knees and hips I just don't move that quickly any more?

Generally speaking, low BP is healthier than high BP, and I've never had concerns or comments from health professionals except once, recovering from an operation, I had to have the bed tilted to ensure sufficient blood supply to the brain.
  • lyzxyzzy
    lyzxyzzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's helpful to see the others on here who have low BP. My heart rate makes it to the mid 40's when sitting around as well and I become light headed if I rise quickly. Recently, I've been more deliberate about warm ups before workouts and improving hand and feet circulation. My hands and feet are almost always cold and fall asleep easily.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lyzxyzzy wrote: »
    It's helpful to see the others on here who have low BP. My heart rate makes it to the mid 40's when sitting around as well and I become light headed if I rise quickly. Recently, I've been more deliberate about warm ups before workouts and improving hand and feet circulation. My hands and feet are almost always cold and fall asleep easily.

You might want to have your TSH free T3 and free T4 checked when you next see a doctor. Those are also common signs of hypothyroidism. So is low BP.
  • PurpleCrazies
    PurpleCrazies Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yep normal for me. Spent time in hospital recently following emergency surgery. It was a problem as it dropped so far and I was anemic from major blood loss. However is now getting back to normal for me and still low for most. If your regular doctor is happy and its not causing problems don't worry about it.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yes mine is usually 90/60. My hr is 40-50 resting but when laying down relaxed or when sleeping can go to 35. I don’t think it is anything to worry about if you feel fine and doctor doesn’t seem concerned. The only symptoms I have is my extremities get cold easily especially after a meal when blood is being shunted to my gi system.