What the heck?!

Options
cassiech1986
cassiech1986 Posts: 38 Member
edited September 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Why is everyones food diary set to private? Is there anyone out there that will share publicly?

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,761 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP Community. :) Many members prefer to keep their diaries private because they track for their own information. Others, like me, only share with friends.

Public diaries can be a double-edged sword. They can be good for accountability and inspiration, but they can also be a source of shame when we don't meet the goals we set for ourselves. I try not to judge anyone that doesn't want to have a public diary.

Here's a thread from earlier this year with members that have open diaries:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10631425/️-open-diaries-️/p1
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I can add another reason for not having a public dairy. I do not log accurately and omit some low calorie items. This means my diary often shows me eating between 1000 and 1200 calories, which causes concern. My real caloric intake averages about 1600 (I know from when I was doing it the MFP way and by my weight). I don't want anyone to think just 1000 is acceptable as fequently as my diary shows it.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Also, it's set to private as the default. You have to actively change it if you want other people to be able to snoop through your food choices.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    My food diary was open to my friends during my weight loss stage. It helped keep me motivated and accurate.

I've been in maintenance for a few years now, and don't regularly log anymore. The only times I do, is when I see my weight trending up towards the edge of my 'buffer zone.' Then I'll go back to logging again for a while to make certain that my portion sizes haven't crept up along with my weight.

So my diary is now private because there's usually nothing in it. :)
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    scottkjar wrote: »
    "Oh, look, Scott ate a sandwich!"

LOL <3

Mine is also unapologetically open, and I do log accurately. Also, I eat sandwiches from time to time, it's riveting.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,761 MFP Moderator
    Options
    scottkjar wrote: »
    I always leave mine open. However, I can't imagine that what I am eating is really all that interesting to anyone else. "Oh, look, Scott ate a sandwich!"

I think what people find interesting is how others combine foods to meet calorie and macro goals, and sometimes they look for new foods and inspiration. Scott ate a sandwich - but what kind of sandwich was it? Did it have cheese? Did it have bacon? These are important questions. ;):)

Edit - Ooh I see you ate bacon twice yesterday. See, that's inspiring for me. :smiley: