I just learned how to cook tofu that I actually like

Options
Cinner29
Cinner29 Posts: 14 Member
For years, I've been avoiding tofu because every time I buy it to try, it has a texture I don't like. I've tried all kinds of tofu, I've pressed it, I've marinaded it, I've chopped it up small, but it's still always pretty repulsive. Then I saw a "handy hint" on a recipe site that said to coat tofu in cornstarch before sauteeing it, to make it crispy. So I did. And I made edible tofu stir fry for the first time in my life. It made all the difference in the world, and hardly took any cornstarch.

Replies

• galengower
    galengower Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Tofu sucks unless it is crispy. 100% true. I'm going to try this next time we make it. We also bread it with rice flour and fry the *kitten* out of it to make it crispy. Probably close to the same thing?
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Will have to try!! I normally slice tofu thin them cremate it hahahah😂😂
  • candycanebec
    candycanebec Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have time, you can also freeze the tofu block, then defrost. I find it not only fries crispier but also helps soak up the oil/marinade/sauce/whatever you're cooking it in.

My first block of tofu was silken - I didn't realise there is firm tofu, so when I tried to cook the silken stuff, it was all horrible and slimy and tasteless. I do use silken tofu but as a base for creamy sauces and I blend it rather than try to cook it :)
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Cinner29 wrote: »
    For years, I've been avoiding tofu because every time I buy it to try, it has a texture I don't like. I've tried all kinds of tofu, I've pressed it, I've marinaded it, I've chopped it up small, but it's still always pretty repulsive. Then I saw a "handy hint" on a recipe site that said to coat tofu in cornstarch before sauteeing it, to make it crispy. So I did. And I made edible tofu stir fry for the first time in my life. It made all the difference in the world, and hardly took any cornstarch.

Thanks for this tip! I tried making tofu once and it was awful. So, to make sure I understand correctly, do you marinate it and then coat it in cornstarch right before frying?
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering if the cornstarch will help! Thanks for posting.

Last time made tofu, I used a Korean bulgogi sauce and it was yummy, but not as crispy as I would like.
  • Cinner29
    Cinner29 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    [quote=
    Thanks for this tip! I tried making tofu once and it was awful. So, to make sure I understand correctly, do you marinate it and then coat it in cornstarch right before frying?[/quote]

I bought it ready-marinated, as "baked tofu", and then cut it into strips, dipped it in cornstarch, and sauteed it in a tablespoon of sesame oil.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've been exploring tempeh lately. Another food I never much cared for but I'm working my way through the 1,000 Vegan Recipes cookbook in order. (I do repeat some recipes, flip ahead for others. But when I do my once-a-week cooking, I know that I am for sure doing "whatever's next", whatever else I make.) I liked it with sweet potato and pineapple juice last time. Tomorrow night, I serve it Creole-style. Also, with the dredging in either cornstarch or flour.
  • Lila3701
    Lila3701 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes! That’s my go to method. Press the daylights out it, cube it, shake in a bowl with 2 Tbs cornstarch and then fry. Add to whatever sauce I want and it’s so good.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you have time, you can also freeze the tofu block, then defrost. I find it not only fries crispier but also helps soak up the oil/marinade/sauce/whatever you're cooking it in.

My first block of tofu was silken - I didn't realise there is firm tofu, so when I tried to cook the silken stuff, it was all horrible and slimy and tasteless. I do use silken tofu but as a base for creamy sauces and I blend it rather than try to cook it :)

I believe I read somewhere that if you freeze it, then defrost it, that you don't have to "press" it before frying. Is this true?
  • Spadhnik
    Spadhnik Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    We love tofu in our family. But I have failed making tofu (used pressing technique) and have cooked and somehow eaten silken tofu.
    I recently found extra firm tofu by The Tofoo Co. It turns out correct each time with little efforts.

I am going to try corn starch! Thanks for the post
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »

I believe I read somewhere that if you freeze it, then defrost it, that you don't have to "press" it before frying. Is this true?

I'm not sure about @candycanebec, but I always press mine after I thaw it.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this tip! I so desperately want to like tofu as I am trying to move away from vegetarianism and more towards plant based foods