What is your favorite distraction?

Options
For everyone who tends to go for food when bored or have nothing to do, what is your favorite way to distract yourself to keep you from snacking?

Personally, mine is crocheting. It keeps my hands and mind busy enough so I don't think about food. I have a big project coming up (need a new afghan for my new sofa) so I expect to do well this fall. Yes, the pattern is easy enough that I don't have to think too hard about the repeats but I still have to pay attention. I also don't want to get it gunky with food residue on my fingers.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Meal planning :D
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Knitting. Sewing quilts and garments. Acrylic pour painting. Going outside for a walk alone or with a friend (which is a low impact exercise and I feel happier after fresh air).
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    For everyone who tends to go for food when bored or have nothing to do, what is your favorite way to distract yourself to keep you from snacking?

Personally, mine is crocheting. It keeps my hands and mind busy enough so I don't think about food. I have a big project coming up (need a new afghan for my new sofa) so I expect to do well this fall. Yes, the pattern is easy enough that I don't have to think too hard about the repeats but I still have to pay attention. I also don't want to get it gunky with food residue on my fingers.

I'm all about food - it's a weakness. I love to feast, so opting for any of the following depending on the time of day helps.
    • Fresh teas or iced teas, no sweetener.
    • Meditation & prayer
    • A full body massage course treatment, to get a nap in which I've loved since forever
    • A short hike with our pup through the citrus grove trails or a few 25m breaststroke laps in the pool if it's empty
    • Tennis volleys and/or beach volleyball setting drills with my sister
  • competeagain
    competeagain Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Jiujitsu
    Tapping someone or getting smashed
    Mind release
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Knitting :smirk:

I'm in need of new winter sweaters. The old ones are hanging off me like grandmother's old curtains :tongue:

Should keep my hands busy during the evenings.

And I hear you on the gunky. It's ways too tedious to take a bite of something and then have to go and thoroughly clean the hands to avoid messing up that nice wool my brother brought me from his trip to Ireland :wink:

I tried knitting. My hands just don't seem to want to work together in such a way that I can work 2 needles at once. Crocheting is for me. I also need to make a new pair of slippers. I have a great crochet pattern that you stitch in 100% wool, then felt. Super warm and comfy plus they lasted about 4 years of constant wear.

You wouldn't per chance be able to point me in the direction of that pattern? I've been looking for slippers for forever (or so it feels) but can't find anything ready made that feels comfortable :blush:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I'm in need of new winter sweaters. The old ones are hanging off me like grandmother's old curtains :tongue:

And I hear you on the gunky. It's ways too tedious to take a bite of something and then have to go and thoroughly clean the hands to avoid messing up that nice wool my brother brought me from his trip to Ireland :wink:

I tried knitting. My hands just don't seem to want to work together in such a way that I can work 2 needles at once. Crocheting is for me. I also need to make a new pair of slippers. I have a great crochet pattern that you stitch in 100% wool, then felt. Super warm and comfy plus they lasted about 4 years of constant wear.

You wouldn't per chance be able to point me in the direction of that pattern? I've been looking for slippers for forever (or so it feels) but can't find anything ready made that feels comfortable :blush:

Are you on Ravelry? Go there and search for "Mulan Felted Slippers" if you can't view the following link to the free pattern. The felting is actually fun. Since I made them for myself, I felted them, then put them on wet to stretch to the right size, then dried them. susieatthecircus.typepad.com/photos/free_patterns/mulan-slippers-copy.html
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Lots of interesting diversion tactics so far.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Sleeping. It's actually really hard for me to get through a day without an hour or 2 nap in between.

Exercise. An hour workout, 15 minutes of stretching and 15 minutes in the hot tub is a great way to pass the time. Bigger bonus, it tires me out which makes that nap amazing.

Be social. I'll go get coffee with a friend, walk around, shop, get our nails done etc.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Are you on Ravelry? Go there and search for "Mulan Felted Slippers" if you can't view the following link to the free pattern. The felting is actually fun. Since I made them for myself, I felted them, then put them on wet to stretch to the right size, then dried them. susieatthecircus.typepad.com/photos/free_patterns/mulan-slippers-copy.html

Perfect! Thank you. I'll have to do some trial and error for my knobby size 11 feet. But they look really comfy 😁
  • earlnabby
    Options

Perfect! Thank you. I'll have to do some trial and error for my knobby size 11 feet. But they look really comfy 😁

I am a wide 9.5 and did not have to adjust the pattern at all, just stretch them a little more after felting. I made a pair for my SIL who is an 8 first and tried them on.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

On Ravelry!
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Audio books and walking. So easy to plug in and step out the door instead of eating and my step count has really increased since I started this.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Watching my wife play video games
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Drinking some water.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do jigsaw puzzles. Cleaning the house and going for walks/hikes also work for me.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    My playstation, yardwork, puzzle books and a cuddle with my cats, take my chickens and goats some snacks, instagram those cute little beasts, crochet, cleaning, a book, shopping, extra workout. I could fill my days ten times over.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sleep, meal planning and prep, running.