Begginer ,Is my food group ratio ok ,am I on track?

Options
Hi .Starting At 108 kgs @ 105kgs now at 12 days.Following a Healthpointe program -keeping my carbs @50g,Protein @ 120g and fat at 30g.Just between 1000-1200 calories.I do cardio dance or taebo /CrossFit/upperbody with core /lower body with core.

Excited to be on this path.Creating a 500 calorie deficit.I hope I am on track.Will see with the results .Any advice out there?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You're asking about macro ratio, and the amounts don't just add up to 950 calories, which is way below MFP's minimum, it's also below your proposed minimum. It's also 50% protein, which will be very hard to stick to, and 30 grams is way too little fat.

Have you even tried the calorie and macro goals MFP gave you on startup?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi .Starting At 108 kgs @ 105kgs now at 12 days.Following a Healthpointe program -keeping my carbs @50g,Protein @ 120g and fat at 30g.Just between 1000-1200 calories.I do cardio dance or taebo /CrossFit/upperbody with core /lower body with core.

Excited to be on this path.Creating a 500 calorie deficit.I hope I am on track.Will see with the results .Any advice out there?

Why are you eating so little?
  • Demander2015
    Demander2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey, congratulation on taking the first step. Let me make one think very clear at 105 kgs almost anything you do will help you lose weight. I started at 106 kgs and noticed that even a small deficit with moderate cardio helped me melt weight. So the idea is not to kill yourself by eating too little, getting confused with ratios and percentages or injuring yourself with extreme workouts. None of that. As a beginner and as a person in high body fat percentage the most important thing you need is consistency. Whatever "guidelines" any trainer or app gives you is there to merely guide you, to give you an idea of what you could be doing. However, you are the one who has to fine tune it so that you will not stop doing it after a week or a month. Whatever changes you make should be permanent. And I mean permanent, as in until the day you die. So if you really think that you can eat 50% protein until the day you die, please, by all means, go ahead.

However, in my experience it is really hard to maintain that. See, protein is necessary just so that you will not lose muscle. I found that following MFP recommendations were perfect for me. I was able to maintain the same for almost 2 years now and still have no problems. See, right now the single biggest thing that will take you down is inconsistency. Almost anything you do, as long as you maintain a calorie deficit, will work - but ONLY if you are consistent. Hell, you could eat only gummy bears and create a calorie deficit and it would work ( bad idea, do not do it, but I am just making a point). The important thing is to maintain the same thing forever. It is easier to do so if your new food regime is similar to the composition that you were eating. Once you get on the path and get the hang of it, you could make changes slowly. Abruptly changing everything might be hard and may cause you to abandon it soon.

As per your statement I find that your calculations are fuzzy. If you weigh 105 kgs, your BMR should be somewhere around 2200 at least. So eating 1000-1200 calories itself should create a calorie deficit of 1000. On top of that a cardio session which I assume is 30 minutes should be burning an average of 200 calories at the minimum. So you are creating a 1200 deficit everyday. And those calculations hold up considering the weight you have lost (assuming around 1 kg to be water weight). It cannot be merely 500 calories deficit.Kindly recheck your calculations. For 500 calorie deficit, you couls be eating more than this.

Also, please do not neglect micronutrients. As you lose weight, you will need micronutrients for regeneration of skin, remobilisation of fat and building tissue etc. And you need fibre to keep calories low and keep you full and it is good for your digestive system. Some people might feel bloated at first, especially if they have stayed far away from produce their whole lives. But scientifically fibre and water are two miraculous things for good healrh. Please make sure you are eating plenty of antioxidants, vitamins, and other micronutrients like magnesium, calcium, selenium etc. A lot of people neglect the importance of these micronutrients in maintaining an overall fitness.

Also, your composition will change according to the type of workout you do. Normal cardio at this weight can have almost any composition. As long as you have enough protein to maintain muscle (which is not much), you should be fine. But if you start lifting weights (heavy and regular) you will have to be slightly more protein dependent. On the other hand if you are doing HIIT and high intensity cardio for long durations, it might need to be slightly more carb leaning. But that is for when you are within 15 -20 kg of your target body weight. For now, consistency in maintaining a calorie deficit with an all round healthy diet is the most important thing. So stop overthinking it and enjoy your journey.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

As per your statement I find that your calculations are fuzzy. If you weigh 105 kgs, your BMR should be somewhere around 2200 at least. So eating 1000-1200 calories itself should create a calorie deficit of 1000. On top of that a cardio session which I assume is 30 minutes should be burning an average of 200 calories at the minimum. So you are creating a 1200 deficit everyday. And those calculations hold up considering the weight you have lost (assuming around 1 kg to be water weight). It cannot be merely 500 calories deficit.Kindly recheck your calculations. For 500 calorie deficit, you couls be eating more than this.

i think you are confusing BMR with TDEE. You take your deficit from TDEE.

BMR is what you would burn if you were in a coma, once you get out of bed and do daily things like walk to the toilet or make a sandwich you're burning more calories.