First Time Trying this to get back to goal weight

Options
Hi everyone. It’s my first time trying this app and I’d like to know how is it going for everyone? Also, any tips for success will be greatly appreciated

Replies

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I will be brutally honest. What worked for me was going to a 1200 calorie per day diet. This will force your body to burn fat. Try this for a week. I won't lie. You will wake up hungry, you will go to bed hungry, you will think about food all day. But that thinking about food will force you to make good decisions since you only have 1200 calories to play with.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Wow, some terrible advise IMHO here ^^

- Put your details into MFP, and stick to the calorie goals it gives you. Pick a realisitic weight loss target. Yes 2lbs a week would be great, but unless you have lots of weight to loose, it's probably unrealistic.
    - Weight loss is a slow process, don't be disheartened if one day you're up, then the next your down, then up again, then down. Look at your progress over longer periods of time (weeks, months)
    - Everything really is fine in moderation. As long as you stick to your calorie goals, you should loose weight.
    - One bad day does not ruin your diet. Brush yourself off, and move on.
    - Eat back at least 50% of exercise calories. Trust me, you'll be so hungry otherwise.
    - Being miserable does not burn calories, pick a method of weight loss that works for you. There are so many plans out there, but what's most important is that your calories is under your goal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I will be brutally honest. What worked for me was going to a 1200 calorie per day diet. This will force your body to burn fat. Try this for a week. I won't lie. You will wake up hungry, you will go to bed hungry, you will think about food all day. But that thinking about food will force you to make good decisions since you only have 1200 calories to play with.

or use MFP properly, maintain a calorie deficit and lose weight in a sustainable way.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    @Deviette covered the bases on the core tips. I'll add, from a mindset perspective, I think it's best to consider this site as a tool or a resource; like any tool, the effectiveness is dictated by how it's applied. To lose and maintain said loss you'll need to foster positive eating habits in terms of calories and portion sizes; start to learn your pitfalls by meticulously logging what/how much you eat now (using a food scale is best) and you should be able to quickly see where you have the biggest opportunity to improve. Target improving those high-opportunity areas/foods first and strive to continuously get better each day. It's certainly not as sexy of an approach or tip as "do X to torch stubborn fat fast" (which usually don't work or are unsustainable) but it's the right way to go in my book.