Trying to get into shape

I started July 1st. I was 340 and am now 320. I find that my day to day weight goes up and down even when I'm consistently under my daily calorie count and get my 10,000 steps in. Does this happen to anyone else? Overall I'm going in the right direction so I can't complain too much. It's just weird when I am under 2,000 calories and walk 10,000 steps and gain a pound.

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,242 Member
    Yes, it happens not just to anyone else but to everyone else.
    Your body is made mostly of water and it uses it for most of its functions. As a result its amount in the body fluctuates as reflected in your weight.

When people say "weightloss is not linear" they mean exactly that - weightloss. They don't mean fatloss which would be exactly linear if your deficit was too.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Yes, it happens to everybody. Here's a good explanation of the many reasons why:
    http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • etchedvinyl
    etchedvinyl Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you all for the feedback. Overall my trend is downward so I'll stop focussing on the little spikes.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    Weight fluctuates daily depending on what you ate and drank and how much you sweat or peed. Weird, but true. I try to weight myself once a week at the same time on the same scale and use that once a week measurement. yes, going up or down a lb isn't a big deal. Just remember that as long as the long term goal is being reached a little fluctuation is fine.
  • etchedvinyl
    etchedvinyl Posts: 5 Member
    I am now down 30 lbs. since July 1st. The problem I'm having now is the blisters on my feet. I try to keep getting my steps in everyday despite them, but it is frustrating. I have tried different shoes but instead of my toes from my old shoes, now I have a huge one on my heel from the new ones. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this is just a factor I have to deal with.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    No, you shouldn't just have to deal with constant blisters. They do need time to heal but after that what type of socks are you wearing? Are you sure your shoes are fitted properly? Painful feet will derail just about anyone, so best to get this issue addressed ASAP.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I am now down 30 lbs. since July 1st. The problem I'm having now is the blisters on my feet. I try to keep getting my steps in everyday despite them, but it is frustrating. I have tried different shoes but instead of my toes from my old shoes, now I have a huge one on my heel from the new ones. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this is just a factor I have to deal with.

i don't think you're doing anything wrong as such, you just haven't got the right socks and shoes by the sounds of things.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

Are your shoes otherwise comfortable? Socks thick enough?

If so, are you familiar with "moleskin"? It can be placed right over the spot that blisters, but I think it's better to cut out a spot for the blister so the moleskin pads around it.

https://smile.amazon.com/FirstChoice-Extra-Durable-Moleskin-Yards/dp/B01LYVTECJ/

You can also pad around the spot with bandaids.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Glad you got the blisters under control. That is the absolute worst!