Hurricane Season

Options
Machafin
Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
Let us discuss the 2018 Hurricane Season here.

Replies

• Machafin
    Options
    How is everyone holding up from Gordon if it was near you? Also, keep an eye out of Florence, newest updated models forecast it to hit NC/SC as a category 5 in about 9 days. In my opinion, it is still too far out to accurately predict but keep an eye on it if you live nearby.

https://i.redd.it/cef708lhpdk11.png
  • Machafin
    Options
    2 other tropical waves (potential storms that could form into hurricanes eventually) are coming off of the African Coast. They look like they will stray further south into the Caribbean and potentially Florida as of now. Also too early to accurately predict but it is smart to keep up to date if you like in a potential area.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I’m in south FL & praying for no hurricanes.
  • Pour_Decisions
    Pour_Decisions Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    How long does hurricane season last anyways? I have October travel plans.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options

Til Nov.
  • Pour_Decisions
    Pour_Decisions Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »

Til Nov.

Darn. I guess I'll cross my fingers and probably purchase travel insurance. UGH
  • Machafin
    Options
    Mid September was forecasted to be the peak this year. More safe in October than September but keep an eye out!
  • Machafin
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Most recent GFS prediction:
    https://i.imgur.com/cdJTsVo.png

Also, Florence just reached category 3 status with winds at 120 mph. Looks like rapid intensification occurred overnight.

Here is the latest satellite image of the storm:
    https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/images/goes16_vis-swir_06L_201809051205.jpg?21.1315.7
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Machafin wrote: »
    How is everyone holding up from Gordon if it was near you? Also, keep an eye out of Florence, newest updated models forecast it to hit NC/SC as a category 5 in about 9 days. In my opinion, it is still too far out to accurately predict but keep an eye on it if you live nearby.

https://i.redd.it/cef708lhpdk11.png

I had to drive to Tampa Monday, between the monsoon rains from Gordon and the holiday traffic, that was not a wise decision, but I survived.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    After St. Augustine was hit hard two years in a row, I am hoping to avoid any tropical systems this season. Last year we lost power for nearly a week. We left town for Matthew in 2016...although we were not in a mandatory evacuation zone, the zone literally begins about four houses down from us toward the river. We stayed through Irma last year. The storms caused minimal damage to our home, but some of our neighbors fared far worse. We do have a generator, so we did have light and air conditioning in part of our house...although cable, internet and cellular service were spotty at best for days after the storms.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Disappointed to find that we won't get any rain from Gordon - Apparently the rain will only make it as far north as Montgomery and I'm an hour north and east. I worry more about tornadoes than hurricanes. One went through here in 2011.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Disappointed that they closed down the city for two days and not only did Gordon never make it to hurricane status, but it completely skipped and went around our city.. so it's been nothing but sunny for the last three days. I was looking forward to watching a nice storm.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    ddo2e7acqqvf.png
  • cee134
    Options
    vujhg0k22656.png
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Right now all the attention is on Florence. While it weakened to a tropical storm, it should restrengthen back to a hurricane before the weekend is over. There is a reasonable shot that it could get back to major hurricane status.

As far as its track, the main steering mechanism right now is a large high pressure ridge in the Atlantic that is keeping it moving west. That will break down this weekend. As it gets along the general longitude as Bermuda, another ridge will form to its north over Bermuda.

The big question at this point is how strong will this new ridge be along with its exact location. A stronger ridge would keep the hurricane moving westward towards the SE coast. A slightly weaker ridge would allow for a bit more northwesterly motion and a landfall over the Carolinas or even Mid Atlantic. There is still a possibility that the ridge may be weak enough for Florence to stay far enough offshore for significant impacts.'

Regardless, I think people along the entire coast (and those inland as well) from GA to DE should review over their hurricane plans just in case.
  • cee134
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jgqhxq4639y4.jpg
    8ecdu9a9i8bd.jpg

• Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Well, when Irma was coming to Florida we were all told to leave the state entirely or DIE!!!. I-95 and I-75 were at a virtual standstill for days. I would rather die than sit in a car on I-75 for 12 hours . (but that's just me).
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options
    Well, when Irma was coming to Florida we were all told to leave the state entirely or DIE!!!. I-95 and I-75 were at a virtual standstill for days. I would rather die than sit in a car on I-75 for 12 hours . (but that's just me).

Same here. Other than no power for a week we were perfectly fine.