I bought a bike and it was the best thing I ever did

Options
batorkin
batorkin Posts: 281 Member
edited September 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I had no interest in biking and thought I'd have to force myself to do it, but after being out in the sun and blazing through the trails I have become addicted to it. Every day I am excited to get back out there. I have gone from 10 miles a day to 40 miles a day in about a month (5-7 days/week), and I am now working on doing a 160 mile marathon in a single day.

I ride about 3 hours a day right now, which is 1100-1450 calories burnt depending on the trail and speed. It's fun and when I get home I can eat so much food and still lose weight. I really wish I had found this hobby sooner, I had already lost 98 pounds using an elliptical at home.

Seriously, buy a bike and get outside to lose weight and be healthy. It feels like cheating!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I love riding my bike too! So happy for you :)
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I love being on my bike.
  • melody6086
    melody6086 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I put it on my Christmas wish list last year. If my daughter doesn’t buy me one this year, I’ll buy my own. I loved biking!
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    melody6086 wrote: »
    I put it on my Christmas wish list last year. If my daughter doesn’t buy me one this year, I’ll buy my own. I loved biking!

Don’t delay. Even on hot days, biking is still cool.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    melody6086 wrote: »

Don’t delay. Even on hot days, biking is still cool.

On hot days, it's like having a nice breeze. :smile:
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Biking is my go to for cardio. As you can see by my avatar of my bike!
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I love my bike too!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Love my bike <3
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love my Harley Street Bob.
  • sexybug6
    sexybug6 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Love my bike best so far 94 miles in five days
  • shirgify
    shirgify Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I too love my bike !!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    Debating whether to finally take advantage of the bike taxsaver scheme here in Ireland and get myself an electric hybrid thing (1000 euro allowance to buy bike and lease back through company until paid for and deduction before tax so you save).
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »
    I had no interest in biking and thought I'd have to force myself to do it, but after being out in the sun and blazing through the trails I have become addicted to it. Every day I am excited to get back out there. I have gone from 10 miles a day to 40 miles a day in about a month (5-7 days/week), and I am now working on doing a 160 mile marathon in a single day.

I ride about 3 hours a day right now, which is 1100-1450 calories burnt depending on the trail and speed. It's fun and when I get home I can eat so much food and still lose weight. I really wish I had found this hobby sooner, I had already lost 98 pounds using an elliptical at home.

Seriously, buy a bike and get outside to lose weight and be healthy. It feels like cheating!

I used to love biking and have been walking on trails. I tried a new trail last night and they have bike rentals. I'm going back tonight (without my dog) and renting a bike. I used to LOVE to ride and I'm hoping this is the start to something great. I'm heavier than the last time I rode but your post gives me hope.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I have dreamed of it, but I have no idea how to get started and have felt intimidated. I'd love to hear your tips and suggestions.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I have dreamed of it, but I have no idea how to get started and have felt intimidated. I'd love to hear your tips and suggestions.

@yayamom3 have you considered hiring one for a weekend and giving it a whirl? No massive outlay of cost and you can see if you enjoy it.
  • successgal1
    Options
    Speaking of bikes, I've googled around and can't find an answer to my question. Probably because it varies or it really doesn't matter.

Does anyone have any idea how the basic resistance of my one speed bike (which varies anyway because of my weight, terrain and wind) equates to a gear on a geared bike? There may not be an answer to that. I'm just curious because I note my SO does one pedal rotation compared to my one and a half or more if on the flat and no wind, and has greater speed with less apparent work. I don't even try to keep up but feel I actually may get more of a workout even though I'm at a slower speed. Just curious.
  • L1zardQueen
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @successgal1 Could you ask your SO for their opinion of the on which gear it may be? In the long, it doesn’t really matter. A good workout is better than sitting on one’s duff.

ETA. Spelling
  • successgal1
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @successgal1 Could you ask your SO for their opinion of the on which gear it may be? In the long, it doesn’t really matter. A good workout is better than sitting on one’s duff.

ETA. Spelling

True dat. He says he's on 6 for the bike. It's a 7 speed, Sun brand, Drifter model. I'm on a coaster one speed Sun Drifter.

http://www.sun.bike/bikes/drifter/
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I bought a bike last December, today I went on it for the first time since January. It was a 7 mile round trip and I felt amazing :-) looking forward to making it a regular part of my routine