Need cheering up

Options
I am so sick of waking up hating myself. I feel fat, unattractive, depressed and with zero self esteem. Can someone please tell me anything to make me want to get through this day?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Are you overweight? Seriously overweight?
    Asking because we get posts like this that turn out to be about 3 excess lbs. Different sets of problems.

Hating yourself? Agree about the Dr.
  • akazlauskas
    akazlauskas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try yoga, deep breathing and reconnecting to your soul can help. When I feel overwhelmed by negative thoughts I do yoga with my essential oil diffuser. It helps slow things down and calms me down.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    remember a time that you were happy; you have the capacity to feel joy again. These awful days will pass. Be kind to yourself-- go get a manicure, pedi, massage, your hair washed at one of the super-cut kind of places-- they will do a wash only and it feels nice. (((HUGS))) Also- do some searching on the net for a therapist.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm about 25 pounds overweight. I got divorced 4 years ago and haven't dated at all, so I think some of it is loneliness. I also drink too much wine which is where the hating myself comes in because I tell myself every day I'm only going to have one glass. I know I'm not clinically depressed, because many years ago I was and I know what that feels like. I guess I know why I'm feeling this way and I know how I can feel better- it's just a matter of motivating myself to do it.

Then what about some support for the drinking?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Motivation is unreliable. There may be more than one way out of your fix, but this is MFP. Start a food diary. Get and use a food scale. Calculate a modest calorie deficit and try to hit your number.

Make a plan for each day and each week. You will soon find that 4 glasses of wine on a regular basis is going to be incompatible with hitting your number. And remember, going over your number is not a reason to abandon your diary.

Remember, the process is more important than the numbers. Maybe you’ll feel better when you exert some control.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a depressant. Get to your doctor, and perhaps some talk therapy would be a good idea. No one should have to face each morning feeling as you do. And don't worry about "finding someone" right now. Take care of yourself first. Today is a gift, enjoy it!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    4sydsenhs3yo.gif look on the bright side...life can be whatever you want it to be...its all on you. ...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    So far I see you saying that you don't like being overweight. Over what weight? Over some number that somebody else picked? Own you. That's all. Just own you. Your Laura can be someone who drinks too much and gets that result. Your Laura can just as easily be someone who drinks exactly as much as you wish her to and gets that result instead.

For sure, don't let some old grape juice own you.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It is tough! But you're already in the right place, taking the right steps to feeling great! Keep going! The way I see it is... you have 2 options: 1 - you can not do anything about it and continue on feeling the way you do.. only to end up more depressed... OR 2 - do something about it! Eat less/better and move more! You will get better and start seeing results. Every little accomplishment adds up to the big picture. It just takes time!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Motivation is unreliable. There may be more than one way out of your fix, but this is MFP. Start a food diary. Get and use a food scale. Calculate a modest calorie deficit and try to hit your number.

Make a plan for each day and each week. You will soon find that 4 glasses of wine on a regular basis is going to be incompatible with hitting your number. And remember, going over your number is not a reason to abandon your diary.

Remember, the process is more important than the numbers. Maybe you’ll feel better when you exert some control.

^^ so much this. Making a decision (over and over, if necessary) is actually an antidepressant, because it gives us agency. Check out this community thread on the power of Decision instead of "motivation":

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1

And along the same lines of Decision having power to reverse the negativity, this has helped me a lot:

https://bigthink.com/robby-berman/4-things-you-can-do-to-cheer-up-according-to-neuroscience
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    hi! you should watch funny cat videos or scroll the cat gifs/memes thread on here - those always make me feel warm & fuzzy inside. :smile:

Feel better, one foot in front of the other. Seeking some outside help, even if you know what you need to do, may help with the getting you to take action part.