Calorie limit messages hinder fasting days

Options
Whenever I decide to have a fasting or a cleanse day, the caloric lower limit warnings do not allow me to finish my diary for the day. It would be nice if this app let me make my own decisions for special events, rather than telling me that I'm doing something wrong when I'm not.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    The app was made for very large audience, most of whom should not eat below 1200 to lose weight, so it is necessary to have a little warning to help people stay on track. Just don't close your diary if it upsets you.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree with the OP. Sending warnings and refusing to close a diary isn't going to stop someone from disordered eating, but it is annoying to those who may fast or eat fewer calories for legitimate reasons. My guess is MFP's attorneys suggested setting the limit to avoid being accused of encouraging ED behavior. We do live in a bit of a nanny state when it comes to assigning liability to third parties with money. As a result, I doubt this will ever change.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Whenever I decide to have a fasting or a cleanse day...
    Other than religion, why would you choose to go without eating?
    And what exactly are you "cleansing"? Don't you normally wash your food?

Highly-controlled eating schemes make people feel worse, but don't lead to more weight loss or better health

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23244741
    Double trouble: restrained eaters do not eat less and feel worse
    "high levels of dietary restraint do not appear to reflect actual caloric restraint, it has been found to be a risk factor for a wide array of maladaptive eating patterns. ... restrained eaters do not eat less than they intend to do"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18325547
    "We examine the comfort food preferences and consumption patterns of women with highly versus less developed schemas for cognitive restraint, emotional and situational eating ... complex eating schemas weaken biological signals and produce maladaptive patterns... High schematics reported a lesser post-consumption increase in fullness than low schematics. Low schematics favoured low and high calorie foods equally, their choice motivated by pleasure and positive emotions."
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Either add a quick add of 1200 calories or just don't close it off at the end of the day. I used to do this when I was following the 5:2 wol.
    My dr helped me research this and follows it himself. He incidentally was the one who suggested the quick add. He uses mfp as well
  • The_Original_Beauty
    The_Original_Beauty Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 16:8 and make sure I eat 1200 calories, there is no reason for you to go below 1200 calories. Simply do not submit at the end of the day, is there a problem if you don't?
  • MissCharly2
    MissCharly2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    By fast, I mean no food.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    just don't close your diary. Closing your diary doesn't do anything important
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    And in my mind, nothing wrong with fasting as long as you are still eating enough overall from your other days.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    So, when I have a cheat day (a true cheat day) or when I was inconsistent with my logging, I just didn't log for a day, or didn't finish a day...why does this seem like a problem for people who want to fast on purpose? It's the same thing, just don't enter food or enter less food? I fail to see how not logging a day vs logging no food because you fasted come out to a different result in MFP.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Closing the diary accomplishes absolutely nothing, so it doesn't hinder anything at all if you can't close it. If you really feel the need for the entry in your newsfeed, manually type in a message that you completed your diary for the day and were under your calorie goal. The 5-week prediction from closing your diary is going to be complete nonsense anyway, since it's going to assume that you ate just like you did on that day for the next five weeks and is going to give a ridiculously low weight prediction.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    So, when I have a cheat day (a true cheat day) or when I was inconsistent with my logging, I just didn't log for a day, or didn't finish a day...why does this seem like a problem for people who want to fast on purpose? It's the same thing, just don't enter food or enter less food? I fail to see how not logging a day vs logging no food because you fasted come out to a different result in MFP.

I closed a day with a huge overage. It made me giggle, because, of course, I'm not going to eat that way everyday. But it was funny to see the numbers. I log all days, the good, the bad, the ugly, because complete data tells me more.

Lol that was me on Sunday, but I did eat an entire pizza that day. The "you'll weigh X in 5 weeks" made me laugh.